The Energy Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by landpoke View Post
    I imagine right-of-way, the ensuing lawsuits and permitting will bump that figure up quite a bit.
    If your transmission lines are costing $1 billion per mile then you are doing it wrong (or with gold wire). You could probably even bury one mile of gold transmission line for $1 billion.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
      500x?
      No. My response wasn't a defense of KL's ridiculous assertion.

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      If your transmission lines are costing $1 billion per mile then you are doing it wrong (or with gold wire). You could probably even bury one mile of gold transmission line for $1 billion.
      See above.

I read NWU's quote as saying the construction costs were that amount per mile which, to me, doesn't include ROW acquisition, permitting, etc. I could be wrong. I just know that ROW's, especially for those that cross any significant amount of federal land, are going to be held up by lawsuits, appeals, endless government and court mandated impact studies etc. Which will bump up the per mile cost.

EDIT: I guess "quite a bit" was poor wording on my part. Please mentally edit that to read "a bit."
      There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
      Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
      And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

See above.

I read NWU's quote as saying the construction costs were that amount per mile which, to me, doesn't include ROW acquisition, permitting, etc. I could be wrong. I just know that ROW's, especially for those that cross any significant amount of federal land, are going to be held up by lawsuits, appeals, endless government and court mandated impact studies etc. Which will bump up the per mile cost.

EDIT: I guess "quite a bit" was poor wording on my part. Please mentally edit that to read "a bit."
        IME materials and labor at around 70% of the cost with ROW, legal, enbironmental, planning, etc being the other 30%. the biggest lines I've dealt with are 345 kV and their cost per mile is usually budgeted at $2 to $3 million total, depending on the size of the project, terrain, and type of land/easements needed. Granted, we often just buy the land or we already own it.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

The $1 Billion/mile estimate was for a 500 kV DC trunk backbone line. I did blink at the number and thought I misheard, but thats what others heard too. Or maybe he was talking about this 765 kV HVAC line.
          Last edited by Katy Lied; 05-13-2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            The $1 Billion/mile estimate was for a 500 kV DC trunk backbone line. I did blink at the number and thought I misheard, but thats what others heard too.
            What's the difference between a DC and AC line?

Tomorrow is Saturday

Comment

IME materials and labor at around 70% of the cost with ROW, legal, enbironmental, planning, etc being the other 30%. the biggest lines I've dealt with are 345 kV and their cost per mile is usually budgeted at $2 to $3 million total, depending on the size of the project, terrain, and type of land/easements needed. Granted, we often just buy the land or we already own it.
              Looks like the next 155 kV are pretty pricey.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

The $1 Billion/mile estimate was for a 500 kV DC trunk backbone line. I did blink at the number and thought I misheard, but thats what others heard too. Or maybe he was talking about this 765 kV HVAC line.
                Let's say it's $1 billion per mile. How many miles are needed to run it to California? 700? That would be $700 billion dollars right?

AEP has the longest 765 kV lines in the country (over 2,000) miles and their balance sheet in 2009 showed gross transmission PPE of $8.3 billion,NAND that number also includes 39,000 miles of other transmission lines.

I'm not trying to pile on, I'm just wondering where the $1 billion comes from. Sounds like a mistake or scare tactic.

Comment

yeah, sounds high. I don't know what goes into the estimate given me. Could be scare tactics, although I dont know what he has to gain by throwing out the number. Could also be that he cherry picked a few mileage points that were really high.

Comment

I think the assertion was a professor's and not hers.

AEP has the longest 765 kV lines in the country (over 2,000) miles and their balance sheet in 2009 showed gross transmission PPE of $8.3 billion,NAND that number also includes 39,000 miles of other transmission lines.
                    That sounds more realistic.
                    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

SLC was the 5th city in the US to be electrified.

Comment

SLC was the 5th city in the US to be electrified.
                        But still lacks the ability to be electrifying.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

A couple upcoming events on energy:

KPMG Global Energy Conference - Dick Cheney's speech will be webcast live today for free:
                          http://www.kpmginstitutes.com/global...ck-cheney.aspx

Deloitte webcast about the future of the natural gas market:
                          http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_US/u...56f00aRCRD.htm

Comment

A couple upcoming events on energy:

KPMG Global Energy Conference - Dick Cheney's speech will be webcast live today for free:
                            http://www.kpmginstitutes.com/global...ck-cheney.aspx

Deloitte webcast about the future of the natural gas market:
                            http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_US/u...56f00aRCRD.htm
                            Hopefully Dick Cheney's keynote will be about his exciting new program in which we invade foreign countries that have oil while making it look like those countries posed realistic threats to our natio... Wait, what's that you say?
                            Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                              Hopefully Dick Cheney's keynote will be about his exciting new program in which we invade foreign countries that have oil while making it look like those countries posed realistic threats to our natio... Wait, what's that you say?
                              I'd be behind said program, if we actually took their oil. But, unfortunately, the left has pussified this country to the point that we're just canadia with real football.
                              Last edited by landpoke; 05-25-2011, 07:17 AM.

Tomorrow is Saturday

Comment

I'd be behind said program, if we actually took their oil. But, unfortunately, the left has pussified this country to the point that we're just canadia with real football.
                                Halliburton isn't a E&P company so taking the oil doesn't help them. They're happy having the oil field services work. But one could argue the Iraqis are better off today then they were before thanks to the upgrading of their drilling, production, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X