This graphic is interesting, reflecting the religious makeup of the current Congress. Mormons get their own category (!), but I note that from a congressperson's perspective, they are seated to the far right. Also interesting is that of the 39 Jewish congresspeople, only one is a Republican.
Mormons in Congress
Collapse
X
-
Tags: None
-
Do you have a list of the names of the Mormons in Congress?Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View PostThis graphic is interesting, reflecting the religious makeup of the current Congress. Mormons get their own category (!), but I note that from a congressperson's perspective, they are seated to the far right. Also interesting is that of the 39 Jewish congresspeople, only one is a Republican.Visca Catalunya Lliure
Comment
-
-
Originally posted by Tim View PostDo you have a list of the names of the Mormons in Congress?
Comment
-
I was surprised when Pete Stark (a congressman I interned for in '75; I blush to admit this) announced just a couple of years ago that he was an atheist. That'd be political suicide in most parts of the country, but in the East Bay, no one cared.Originally posted by creekster View PostIts not politically prudent to avoid one for many of them, is my guess.
Comment
-
You interned for a Democrat? May as well be atheist...Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View PostI was surprised when Pete Stark (a congressman I interned for in '75; I blush to admit this) announced just a couple of years ago that he was an atheist. That'd be political suicide in most parts of the country, but in the East Bay, no one cared.
Comment
-
-
-
-
I asked this of one of my Jewish co-workers (old NYC jewish family).Originally posted by RC Vikings View PostWhat is the tie in with the Democratic party for the Jews?
To summarize his explanation:
1. Most Jews today are being raised by parents who were children of Jews that were subjected to a lot of anti-Semitism....much of which was institutionally perpetrated by the elite class on the migrant/working class Jews that came to our country along with all other Euro immigrants. They naturally aligned themselves politically with the working class political party.
2. American Jews are liberal by nature and do not care for the legislation of morality or religion....in short, they would afford all men the freedom to worship what they may but choose to live according to the dictates of their own consciousness. This is somewhat seen in the daily practices of Judaism, which is a non-proselyting religion....Jews dont care what you do or believe as long as you leave them alone.
This is a paraphrase, of course, but it made sense to me as he tried to explain why so many Jews are Dem.Fitter. Happier. More Productive.
sigpic
Comment
-
It would be more interesting to know what percentage of self-described Jews in congress are secular vs. religiously practicing? I can't think of many Hasidics, for example.Originally posted by RC Vikings View PostWhat is the tie in with the Democratic party for the Jews?
Interesting note. A few years ago (2008?) was the first time in two millenia that over 50% of all Jews worldwide lived IN/around Israel than outside.Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 01-07-2011, 01:25 PM.
Comment
-
One of my best friends in the world is a born and bread Jersey Jewish man. He is so far right he makes Rush Limbaugh look like Keith Olberman. I'm giving him the business online right now. Thanks for posting this.A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali
Comment
Comment