Mormons in Congress

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16940

    #1

    Mormons in Congress

    This graphic is interesting, reflecting the religious makeup of the current Congress. Mormons get their own category (!), but I note that from a congressperson's perspective, they are seated to the far right. Also interesting is that of the 39 Jewish congresspeople, only one is a Republican.
  • UtahDan
    *
    • Nov 2008
    • 14496

    #2
    What I find remarkable is how few of them claim no religious affiliation.

    Comment

    • Tim
      Not Banned
      • Nov 2008
      • 4390

      #3
      Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      This graphic is interesting, reflecting the religious makeup of the current Congress. Mormons get their own category (!), but I note that from a congressperson's perspective, they are seated to the far right. Also interesting is that of the 39 Jewish congresspeople, only one is a Republican.
      Do you have a list of the names of the Mormons in Congress?
      Visca Catalunya Lliure

      Comment

      • creekster
        It is NOT a monkey!
        • Nov 2008
        • 22661

        #4
        Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
        What I find remarkable is how few of them claim no religious affiliation.
        Its not politically prudent to avoid one for many of them, is my guess.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

        Comment

        • UtahDan
          *
          • Nov 2008
          • 14496

          #5
          Originally posted by creekster View Post
          Its not politically prudent to avoid one for many of them, is my guess.
          Right. Probably they all have components of their constituency that it is important to, and few who are offended by it. I imagine a much smaller number regularly attend.

          Comment

          • YOhio
            Hipster Mode
            • Nov 2008
            • 26165

            #6
            Originally posted by Tim View Post
            Do you have a list of the names of the Mormons in Congress?
            With the U.S. 2010 elections over more than a month ago, I've wanted to put together a summary of the results for Mormon candidates for some time, and finally got around to finishing it this past weekend. There were a few surprises. In fact, I doubt that many readers will have heard of all the

            Comment

            • PaloAltoCougar
              Semper infra dignitatem
              • Nov 2008
              • 16940

              #7
              Originally posted by creekster View Post
              Its not politically prudent to avoid one for many of them, is my guess.
              I was surprised when Pete Stark (a congressman I interned for in '75; I blush to admit this) announced just a couple of years ago that he was an atheist. That'd be political suicide in most parts of the country, but in the East Bay, no one cared.

              Comment

              • YOhio
                Hipster Mode
                • Nov 2008
                • 26165

                #8
                Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                I was surprised when Pete Stark (a congressman I interned for in '75; I blush to admit this) announced just a couple of years ago that he was an atheist. That'd be political suicide in most parts of the country, but in the East Bay, no one cared.
                You interned for a Democrat? May as well be atheist...

                Comment

                • RC Vikings
                  Known Heterosexual
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8789

                  #9
                  Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  Also interesting is that of the 39 Jewish congresspeople, only one is a Republican.
                  What is the tie in with the Democratic party for the Jews?

                  Comment

                  • NorthwestUteFan
                    אלוף
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 3384

                    #10
                    Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    You interned for a Democrat? May as well be atheist...
                    That Lilburn Boggs, he was one heck of a Republican.

                    Comment

                    • Green Monstah
                      Royal Rooter
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 13981

                      #11
                      Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                      What is the tie in with the Democratic party for the Jews?
                      Most cultural/ethic minorities have strong ties to the Democratic Party.
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                      "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                      Comment

                      • LiveCoug
                        LA Ute loves me
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 18489

                        #12
                        Leonard Boswell (D-IA) — re-elected (member of Community of Christ)

                        WTF?

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #13
                          Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                          What is the tie in with the Democratic party for the Jews?
                          I asked this of one of my Jewish co-workers (old NYC jewish family).

                          To summarize his explanation:

                          1. Most Jews today are being raised by parents who were children of Jews that were subjected to a lot of anti-Semitism....much of which was institutionally perpetrated by the elite class on the migrant/working class Jews that came to our country along with all other Euro immigrants. They naturally aligned themselves politically with the working class political party.
                          2. American Jews are liberal by nature and do not care for the legislation of morality or religion....in short, they would afford all men the freedom to worship what they may but choose to live according to the dictates of their own consciousness. This is somewhat seen in the daily practices of Judaism, which is a non-proselyting religion....Jews dont care what you do or believe as long as you leave them alone.

                          This is a paraphrase, of course, but it made sense to me as he tried to explain why so many Jews are Dem.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • NorthwestUteFan
                            אלוף
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 3384

                            #14
                            Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                            What is the tie in with the Democratic party for the Jews?
                            It would be more interesting to know what percentage of self-described Jews in congress are secular vs. religiously practicing? I can't think of many Hasidics, for example.

                            Interesting note. A few years ago (2008?) was the first time in two millenia that over 50% of all Jews worldwide lived IN/around Israel than outside.
                            Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 01-07-2011, 01:25 PM.

                            Comment

                            • CJF
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 8497

                              #15
                              One of my best friends in the world is a born and bread Jersey Jewish man. He is so far right he makes Rush Limbaugh look like Keith Olberman. I'm giving him the business online right now. Thanks for posting this.
                              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                              Comment

                              Working...