Census Results

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #1

    Census Results

    I don't have them yet. Just thought I'd start the thread. Any predictions?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic
  • Moliere
    One man.....one pie
    • Oct 2009
    • 27899

    #2
    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    I don't have them yet. Just thought I'd start the thread. Any predictions?
    I predict Texas picks up 4 house seats. Well, not actually my prediction but I heard it on NPR. I aslo predict a mass exodus from the fiscally liberal states to the more conservative states.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

    Comment

    • CardiacCoug
      вот так штука
      • Nov 2008
      • 11013

      #3
      It will be interesting to see how Utah divides up its 4 districts with its additional House seat.

      Will they put all the Dems (Avenues, U of U area, and Park City) in one district or will they try to divide and conquer the Democratic areas so they can maybe make all 4 seats Republican?

      Comment

      • thesaint258
        aka Benito Hazard
        • Jan 2009
        • 3005

        #4
        Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
        It will be interesting to see how Utah divides up its 4 districts with its additional House seat.

        Will they put all the Dems (Avenues, U of U area, and Park City) in one district or will they try to divide and conquer the Democratic areas so they can maybe make all 4 seats Republican?
        Given the history, my bet is divide and conquer.
        Not that, sickos.

        Comment

        • U-Ute
          Non member
          • Aug 2009
          • 2071

          #5
          Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
          Given the history, my bet is divide and conquer.
          The only problem is that they tried that last time (divide up the metro Salt Lake area into the 3 rural based districts), and lost one to Matheson.

          So I gotta think they're a bit gun shy to try it again. Of course, nobody ever accused them of being smart.

          Politics over everything!

          Comment

          • wally
            <><><><><><><><>
            • Jun 2010
            • 4137

            #6
            I predict that we actually have a billion citizens. Then, we will take our rightful place on the left hand of China.

            Comment

            • Uncle Ted
              The Big 12 money shot.
              • Apr 2010
              • 28853

              #7
              Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
              I predict Texas picks up 4 house seats. Well, not actually my prediction but I heard it on NPR. I aslo predict a mass exodus from the fiscally liberal states to the more conservative states.
              Maybe it is time for Texas to split into three states and add four more senate seats as well.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Jacob
                Junior Member
                • Oct 2009
                • 6801

                #8
                Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                Maybe it is time for Texas to split into three states and add four more senate seats as well.
                I'm all for it. I'd actually like to discuss breaking the country up into 3 separate nations. I'd go for 2 if that didn't mean the west was stuck with California.

                Comment

                • Indy Coug
                  Heartless Bastard
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 18747

                  #9
                  The US growth rate is now less than 1% per year.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

                  http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                  Comment

                  • Jacob
                    Junior Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 6801

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    The US growth rate is now less than 1% per year.
                    At least we are above replacement rate.

                    France = .5%
                    UK = .5%
                    China = .5%
                    Germany = -.07%
                    Spain= = .07%
                    Italy = -.05%
                    Japan = -.2%
                    Russia = -.5%

                    Comment

                    • Indy Coug
                      Heartless Bastard
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 18747

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                      At least we are above replacement rate.

                      France = .5%
                      UK = .5%
                      China = .5%
                      Germany = -.07%
                      Spain= = .07%
                      Italy = -.05%
                      Japan = -.2%
                      Russia = -.5%
                      Thanks Dayton!
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment

                      • byu71
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22070

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                        I'm all for it. I'd actually like to discuss breaking the country up into 3 separate nations. I'd go for 2 if that didn't mean the west was stuck with California.
                        Initially I thought, yes I would like that. Then I think maybe I appreciate the progressives having some clout or the evangelicals might outlaw mormondom.

                        Comment

                        • Moliere
                          One man.....one pie
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 27899

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          Maybe it is time for Texas to split into three states and add four more senate seats as well.
                          Can we make Austin an island-state?
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                          Comment

                          • dabrockster
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 10964

                            #14
                            Ohio lost 2 house seats...

                            Comment

                            • statman
                              Rabblerouser
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 2799

                              #15
                              Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
                              Given the history, my bet is divide and conquer.
                              Not true at all. History says, they leave one Democratic seat - just as they have since the last census. Matheson's seat is a rather amazing gerrymander, that captures all the SL valley higher than the SL Temple, and throws in the northern bench of Utah county to boot. Most of his Utah County constituents would rather vote for an ex-BYU kicker Republican, but the rest pretty much lumps 80% of left leaning Utah voters into one district, pretty much ensuring republican wins everywhere else.

                              And Matheson, although a Dem, is pretty conservative in his voting record. I really don't mind the guy. One vote of his really pissed me off, however. Voting for Pelosi as Speaker. If it wasn't for that, I may have actually voted for him...

                              Comment

                              Working...