Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snowcat View Post
    This is the problem for me.

Is the climate changing? Yes. Are humans impacting climate change? Yes. How much? We think significantly but the predictions appear to need some work. Are the potential costs to society great? Yes. Can we predict when these effects will be realized? The models appear to need some work. Can we quantify the impact of various policy changes on mitigating climate change? Getting murkier. But we have to do something, right?

Here is when people will come to tell you what you need to do that often seem to a) further some other political agenda, b) result in enriching a select few or c) make you jump through hoops that appear to do little to reduce actual greenhouse gas emissions. I get real nervous when we get new mandates that will result in actual drops in standard of living with little possibility of measureable impact, especially when motives of those clamoring for the mandates can be called in question.
    If I were more articulate and not so crotchety, this is something I would have said.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      Are you new to this whole message board experience? Because wasting time is pretty much the point.
      Instead of curing a social ill, I've logged 4 years here. I'm feeling depressed...
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

Is the climate changing? Yes. Are humans impacting climate change? Yes. How much? We think significantly but the predictions appear to need some work. Are the potential costs to society great? Yes. Can we predict when these effects will be realized? The models appear to need some work. Can we quantify the impact of various policy changes on mitigating climate change? Getting murkier. But we have to do something, right?

Here is when people will come to tell you what you need to do that often seem to a) further some other political agenda, b) result in enriching a select few or c) make you jump through hoops that appear to do little to reduce actual greenhouse gas emissions. I get real nervous when we get new mandates that will result in actual drops in standard of living with little possibility of measureable impact, especially when motives of those clamoring for the mandates can be called in question.
        Yip. Is there any solution that can be implemented that will make a difference without putting destroying the economic well-being of the nation/world?
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Very good post. Those who take delight in economic restrictions by pandering to the concerns of those pandering the environmental interests believe no cost should spared no matter how little the return and no matter how far back we set our economy. We see this is in opposition to the Pipeline and in opposition to hydrofracturing. Let's tend to matters which can make a difference without sacrificing our economy!
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            Yip. Is there any solution that can be implemented that will make a difference without putting destroying the economic well-being of the nation/world?
            Bingo.

Right now the accords are to put restrictions on the US while letting China and India off scottfree. Sounds fair to the environmentally concerned, but not to those worrying about jobs for most of us.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
              Bingo.

Right now the accords are to put restrictions on the US while letting China and India off scottfree. Sounds fair to the environmentally concerned, but not to those worrying about jobs for most of us.
              Well, I don't think China and India have nearly the cow problem that we have here in the US.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Aren't they sacred in India. I doubt they would ever try to control the Cow population.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                  Aren't they sacred in India. I doubt they would ever try to control the Cow population.
                  There are also a number of sacred cows on CS as well.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    Well, I don't think China and India have nearly the cow problem that we have here in the US.
                    Have you been to India?

opinion-graphics-2_1128544a.jpg

Cows-on-the-streets-in-India.jpg
                    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                    SU

Comment

Have you been to India?
                      Oh good hell... it is too late.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Last week I am playing golf about everyday. A couple of days did need a cart cover.

Now it is a white out here and I am going to have to get out the snowblower when I get home. I am starting to understand some of you and your belief the climate changes.

Comment

• This thread would not be complete without a shout-out to Senator Inhofe (R-OK), who reminds us that AGW will never happen because the bible says so. Genesis 8:22:

22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
                          There you go.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/e...linearcol_3_na
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            This thread would not be complete without a shout-out to Senator Inhofe (R-OK), who reminds us that AGW will never happen because the bible says so. Genesis 8:22:

There you go.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/e...linearcol_3_na
                            I just wish someone would have followed up Inhofe snowball toss with a "Okay, let's see if it melts now."

Dammit. I promised myself that I wouldn't ever post in this thread!
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                              I just wish someone would have followed up Inhofe snowball toss with a "Okay, let's see if it melts now."

Dammit. I promised myself that I wouldn't ever post in this thread!
                              Don't be such a chicken!
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Don't be such a chicken!
                                I'm not sure that bravery is what's happening here.
                                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Working...
                                X