Gen Y... well educated, lots of loans grim future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen Y... well educated, lots of loans grim future

This article was striking to me. I was thinking about the recession today and its really being impactful. When the housing market crashed I went from having a small net worth or even to a large net loss.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Huh. Not really the article I wanted to read immediately after reading the upcoming Law Review masthead and finding it disappointingly All-American-less.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
      Huh. Not really the article I wanted to read immediately after reading the upcoming Law Review masthead and finding it disappointingly All-American-less.
      Hope you didn't read the Law School article in the journal a couple months back.

Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
        Hope you didn't read the Law School article in the journal a couple months back.

Yikes.
        Yeah, read that one too. How law school students are compiling crazy amounts of debt, knowing that the market for lawyers is hyper-saturated with law school graduates, but who somehow delude themselves into thinking that the market will provide for them.

But it might provide something for ME.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Its a new day for our generation:

Job loyalty is nonexistent
          Career changes are the norm
          Over educated demographic
          We don't have savings

We need to figure out a new market, possible new economic structure and hopefully establish new wealth.

Comment

We don't have savings

We need to figure out a new market, possible new economic structure and hopefully establish new wealth.
            Since India and China are coming up we need to find some new countries and steal their resources
            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Glenn Reynolds often talks about the "higher education bubble." Tuition rates have greatly outpaced inflation and no small part of that is due to the ready availability and guaranteeing of student loans. I remember applying to law school and getting solicitations from Bodagget College of Law. Inevitably these places would charge something like $30k per year. You had to be a real moron not to be able to get into a law school. Unfortunately there are a lot of people willing to pay the price and they really don't know what they're getting themselves into.

In the end, I literally think some of these people would be better off learning a trade, becoming very good at it and eventually get paid quite well for doing that. I knew plenty of plumbers, backoe operators (excavators), electricians, etc. who were doing very well even before the building boom in 04-06. Of course, these guys are struggling right now in a horrible economy worse than most.

I've also heard that there's been a surplus of finance/MBA type degrees (not to mention Fine Arts degrees) and a general deficit of computer science, information systems and engineering majors. It seems like the economy can support jobs where people actually make things.
              Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 07-28-2010, 02:08 PM.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

We don't have savings

We will have to grow up fast.

I believe loyalty does exist for gen y, but it has to be earned by an employer.

And "over-educated" means "good in school" or "good at the make-believe version of how things work." Being "over-educated" doesn't mean that we will over-perform.

An influx of hungry foreign educated workforce (Indians, Chinese) will do the same work as a domestic elite-educated Y-er and for less.

We Gen-Yers will have to change our value system to match the real world, or fail.

Comment

It really depends.

I only have a 2 year degree, but it has nothing to do with what I do for a living. I only got it so I could apply for government jobs.

I am considered "blue collar" because sometimes I turn wrenches for a living. But I am paid better than most teachers because of the skill/tech need in my field.

I have been at this job 4 years next month. My previous job was for 5.5 years. That was the longest I have ever worked anywhere.

I turn 36 next month so I am a Gen X'r I think.

I am working on building up a greater balance in my savings acct.

The best thing I have done for myself in the last 2 years is to quit impulsive buying. If I can't pay cash for it, I don't buy it. Not going to make payments.

I used to not have that discipline. I have worked at it. (I am still clinging to my 1st Gen iPod. And I REALLY REALLY want an iTouch.)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                    The best thing I have done for myself in the last 2 years is to quit impulsive buying. If I can't pay cash for it, I don't buy it. Not going to make payments.
                    That is not an easy thing to do for most people and takes a lot of discipline. Great job keep up the good work.

"If you know how to spend less than you get, you have the philosopher's stone." Benjamin Franklin
                    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

It really depends.

I only have a 2 year degree, but it has nothing to do with what I do for a living. I only got it so I could apply for government jobs.

I am considered "blue collar" because sometimes I turn wrenches for a living. But I am paid better than most teachers because of the skill/tech need in my field.

I have been at this job 4 years next month. My previous job was for 5.5 years. That was the longest I have ever worked anywhere.

I used to not have that discipline. I have worked at it. (I am still clinging to my 1st Gen iPod. And I REALLY REALLY want an iTouch.)
                      You're Gen X. Don't sully yourself with these Gen Y trash.
                      There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                      Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
                      And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

I'm not sure what this article speaks to the most. The fact that there is a recession and unemployment, or the unrealistic expectations of the workforce.

Their 23-year old with a degree in literary journalism is a great example of this. He is quoted as saying that he believed he had a better chance at finding a job than his peers. Really? Dude - your degree is in LITERARY JOURNALISM! Have you seen what newspapers are going through?

Truth be told, I was a little that way myself. I came out of school, found my first job, and thought "now I've got it made". I promptly purchased the most expensive vehicle my wife and I have ever owned. That lasted about 6 months and we sold it. It wasn't THAT expensive as far as vehicles go, but we realized quickly the payments were more than we could afford. It cost as much as our last three vehicles combined.

I think many kids come out of school ready to join the real world, but without realistic expectations. The kid in the article found a job and still managed to spend all of his savings. Now, I'm sure he wasn't making a lot, but I'd be curious to know if he adjusted his lifestyle to his income. Or did he just keep spending, purchasing for his "needs", rather than living a little more spartan.

Comment

It really depends.

hey, I didn't ask for my iTouch, I was fine with the 1st Gen. iPod, you thought I needed it. Kid plays with it more than I do anyway. but I do like it

Comment

Originally posted by Tick's wife View Post
                            hey, I didn't ask for my iTouch, I was fine with the 1st Gen. iPod, you thought I needed it. Kid plays with it more than I do anyway. but I do like it
                            You did need it. Your scriptures hurt your hands to carry because of the arthritis.

And...it entertains you during sacrament.

Comment

You did need it. Your scriptures hurt your hands to carry because of the arthritis.

And...it entertains you during sacrament.
                              I don't play with it during sacrament, the kid does. It waste battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X