US Capitol Hill Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Capitol Hill Attack

We need a thread specifically for issues related to the attack on Capitol Hill, because this is going to be talked about for a while. Was that two weeks ago? It seems like it happened yesterday.

Retired LTG Honoré is conducting a review of security at Capitol Hill. This attack is so egregious that I could see a formal investigation commissioned. It certainly needs to happen.

I read this article on CNN. They talked to five police officers, and hearing their words really pisses me off. The last two paragraphs really put the exclamation point on it for me:

About a week after the assault, the department's Internal Affairs section sent an email to officers asking to report colleagues for use of force that may have been outside Capitol Police policy. The officers who spoke to CNN found this offensive, considering the failures of planning and degree to which officers had to fight for the Capitol."

I want to report the chief to (Internal Affairs) for getting one of our officers killed. I want to report command staff for keeping everything a fucking secret. Can I put that in a tip line? I don't care if an officer spit on one of those people," an officer said. "At that point they deserved everything they got and then some."

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    We need a thread specifically for issues related to the attack on Capitol Hill, because this is going to be talked about for a while. Was that two weeks ago? It seems like it happened yesterday.

Retired LTG Honoré is conducting a review of security at Capitol Hill. This attack is so egregious that I could see a formal investigation commissioned. It certainly needs to happen.

I read this article on CNN. They talked to five police officers, and hearing their words really pisses me off. The last two paragraphs really put the exclamation point on it for me:
    I cannot imagine there not being a formal investigation. Nor can I think of a case more deserving one.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Straight Pride Parade organizer arrested for his role in the Capitol Hill attack
      https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/01...capitol-siege/

Sahady is a founder and vice president of the anti-LGBTQ Super Happy Fun America, known for its “Straight Pride” march in Boston in 2019. Ianni also has ties to the group, according to FBI documents, and helped organize buses that ferried hundreds of Trump supporters from Massachusetts to Washington DC ahead of the violence there.

The group purports to be an advocate for the “straight community,” according to its website and bears the motto, “It’s Great to be Straight.”
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

I have no doubt that this was an 'inside job.' I don't think they anticipated this kind of fallout, but they thought they were being real cute with the MAGA idiots getting inside the capitol building. Heads shall roll.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I just urge everyone when considering this attack to remember what the fake news media won't tell you about it.

139052802_10158945312089469_7468192833985891625_n.jpg
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Funk, that meme is hilarious. Saw that the other day.

I must admit that I am devouring stories about these people getting arrested. I applaud the FBI for devoting resources to this.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I really want to see Congressmen behind bars for aiding and abetting - opening doors - giving tours days before - encouraging insurrection. The scull-duggery behind the scenes is going to keep us entertained for a longtime. In the old days - treason was met with a blindfold and a firing squad.

Biden - soft on treason.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                I really want to see Congressmen behind bars for aiding and abetting - opening doors - giving tours days before - encouraging insurrection. The scull-duggery behind the scenes is going to keep us entertained for a longtime. In the old days - treason was met with a blindfold and a firing squad.

Biden - soft on treason.
                If they opened doors willingly, I would agree that should be investigated and potentially have some consequences. If they opened doors under duress, then not so much.

Giving tours days before? Dude, have you ever been to the capitol? Congress people and their staffers (mostly their staffers but the congressperson does give them on occasion if it's big shot or politically advantageous) give tours every single day in the capitol. When I was on a tour we were shown where the offices of notable politicians were, both those I agreed with and those I didn't, and the tour-giver had no idea what our politics were. Unless someone has a video of a congressperson saying, "be sure to attack this particular office when you storm the capitol on January 6" then I don't think a congressperson can really be faulted for giving tours and pointing out offices of notable colleagues.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

If they opened doors willingly, I would agree that should be investigated and potentially have some consequences. If they opened doors under duress, then not so much.

Giving tours days before? Dude, have you ever been to the capitol? Congress people and their staffers (mostly their staffers but the congressperson does give them on occasion if it's big shot or politically advantageous) give tours every single day in the capitol. When I was on a tour we were shown where the offices of notable politicians were, both those I agreed with and those I didn't, and the tour-giver had no idea what our politics were. Unless someone has a video of a congressperson saying, "be sure to attack this particular office when you storm the capitol on January 6" then I don't think a congressperson can really be faulted for giving tours and pointing out offices of notable colleagues.
                  Tours have been discontinued for quite some time due to the pandemic. But members of congress sometimes make exceptions for VIPs.

That nutjob new congresswoman from Colorado (Lauren Boebert) allegedly gave tours in the days leading up and was posting messages during the attack that were seen as supportive. But she denies she gave any tours to rioters - it was family members in town to celebrate her new gig.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/polit...urs/index.html
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Tours have been discontinued for quite some time due to the pandemic. But members of congress sometimes make exceptions for VIPs.

That nutjob new congresswoman from Colorado (Lauren Boebert) allegedly gave tours in the days leading up and was posting messages during the attack that were seen as supportive. But she denies she gave any tours to rioters - it was family members in town to celebrate her new gig.

This I didn't know, but I believe my point is still viable, which is there would need to be some seriously compelling evidence that the congressperson was explicitly assisting in the planning of an attack and/or encouraging an attack on a particular politician's office. Just giving a tour and pointing out Pelosi's or any other pol's office doesn't mean much in and of itself.

EDIT: P.S. - I agree with you that Boebert is a nutjob. She had a pretty forceful denial in the CNN article you linked and it should be easy enough to verify whether she's lying or not.
                    Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 01-19-2021, 05:23 PM.

Comment

During my Washington Seminar stint in '75. I was tasked with re-writing the Capitol Tour given to constituents of my congressman (Hon, Fortney H. "Pete" Stark (D-CA)) and some of his CA colleagues. I was given a key that got me into most of the chambers, rooms, closets, etc. in the Capitol. The basement was especially cool, as it houses the funeral bier of Abraham Lincoln, among other artifacts. I got to know the building really well and would have been a great resource for the Trumpist mob, were I so inclined, but the years have pretty much wiped out much of the tour from my memory.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

This I didn't know, but I believe my point is still viable, which is there would need to be some seriously compelling evidence that the congressperson was explicitly assisting in the planning of an attack and/or encouraging an attack on a particular politician's office. Just giving a tour and pointing out Pelosi's or any other pol's office doesn't mean much in and of itself.
                        I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I didn't think there was anyone that could give Marjorie Taylor Greene a run for her money as biggest nutjob, but at the time I was unaware of Lauren Boebert.

I guess in comparison to those 2, Burgess Owens doesn't look quite as bad.
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

I didn't think there was anyone that could give Marjorie Taylor Greene a run for her money as biggest nutjob, but at the time I was unaware of Lauren Boebert.

I was going through a similar politician comparison in my mind the other day. I remember back when Bill Clinton was impeached. Back then I was in favor of impeachment because I thought he was immoral in the sexual sense (he was) and a liar (he was, as are all pols); however, when compared against Trump, Bill looks like a saint, a statesman, and a plain-dealer and I would readily cast my vote for him (but never for his wife, I can't stand her).

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X