Official 2010 Midterm Election thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Color Me Badd Fan
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 12519

    #1

    Official 2010 Midterm Election thread

    The Democrats have a pretty sizeable lead in the House and Senate. I'm skeptical of the GOP's chance to take control in either one. And I believe that Obama's reelection hopes will be substantially strengthened if the GOP takes control of Congress. No one believes that the GOP has anything more than an outside shot of taking either house of Congress this year, but the GOP will definitely build some serious momentum in the midterms. I don't see Obama together with a narrow Democratic majority in Congress changing much (as opposed to Clinton working with the GOP-majority Congress after 1994).

    With that said, I make no specific numerical prediction regarding the House. I don't have the knowledge to break down the 435 races.

    The Senate, however, is different. I predict that the GOP will hold all of its open seats and incumbents up for reelection. I think the GOP will pick up open seats and/or beat Democratic incumbents in the following states (ranked on my level of confidence):

    1. South Dakota (Byron Dorgan is retiring)
    2. Arkansas (Blanche Lincoln)
    3. Nevada (Harry Reid)
    4. Delaware (Beau Biden announced that he's not running and former GOP governor and current longtime congressman Mike Castle is running. This guy's already 70 years old and between Joe Biden and this guy, Delaware must love its political dinosaurs).
    5. Colorado (Michael Bennett)
    6. Pennsylvania (Arlen Specter)

    SD and Arkansas are red states and Dorgan is retiring because he knows he has no shot at reelection. Blance Lincoln could probably get beat by Alan Keyes in Arkansas at this point. Nevada is "purple" state that leans GOP in most years and Harry Reid has been the Democratic point man in the Senate for what's perceived to be a liberal administration. Delaware just has an attractive candidate. Colorado is probably more red than Nevada, but Michael Bennett isn't as visible as Reid, still that will be another pickup in a good year for the GOP. If Specter gets out of the Democratic primary, then this spot will definitely go to the GOP, it's bad year for incumbents and Specter is the ultimate incumbent. My confidence level will go down if some other democrat beats Specter, but I still think this is a likely pickup for the GOP because Pat Toomey is leading both prospective Democratic nominees.

    There are other seats out there that could turn into a surprise, but I wouldn't bet on it. The least surprising of the surprises would be Mark Kirk winning in Illinois. The second least surprsing would be the defeat of Barbara Boxer. She's been lucky to have batted 3 for 3 in being up for election/reelection in friendly years for Democrats in California (92, 98 and 04). But the distinction between California and Massachusetts is the number of independents. Independents in Massachusetts are somewhere around 40% of the electorate. In California, it's 20%. The other distinction is Boxer is a tough and dogged campaigner, she couldn't be any more different than Martha Coakley in this regard.

    All in all, the GOP will pick up around 6 seats in the Senate to make it 53-47 for the Democrats. Maybe a few surprises do end up happening, but maybe the GOP loses one of its open seats (like Ohio).
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”
  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #2
    Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post

    All in all, the GOP will pick up around 6 seats in the Senate to make it 53-47 for the Democrats. Maybe a few surprises do end up happening, but maybe the GOP loses one of its open seats (like Ohio).
    I think the GOP will be able to secure the Ohio Senate seat. Rob Portman is a pretty good candidate and will avoid a nasty primary fight, which the Dems will be going through this spring between Jennifer Brunner and Lee Fischer. The GOP will also be running John Kasich against Ted Strickland in the governor's race so the coattails effect will be a little stronger than usual.

    Comment

    • dabrockster
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2009
      • 10949

      #3
      Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
      The Democrats have a pretty sizeable lead in the House and Senate. I'm skeptical of the GOP's chance to take control in either one. And I believe that Obama's reelection hopes will be substantially strengthened if the GOP takes control of Congress. No one believes that the GOP has anything more than an outside shot of taking either house of Congress this year, but the GOP will definitely build some serious momentum in the midterms. I don't see Obama together with a narrow Democratic majority in Congress changing much (as opposed to Clinton working with the GOP-majority Congress after 1994).

      With that said, I make no specific numerical prediction regarding the House. I don't have the knowledge to break down the 435 races.

      The Senate, however, is different. I predict that the GOP will hold all of its open seats and incumbents up for reelection. I think the GOP will pick up open seats and/or beat Democratic incumbents in the following states (ranked on my level of confidence):

      1. South Dakota (Byron Dorgan is retiring)
      2. Arkansas (Blanche Lincoln)
      3. Nevada (Harry Reid)
      4. Delaware (Beau Biden announced that he's not running and former GOP governor and current longtime congressman Mike Castle is running. This guy's already 70 years old and between Joe Biden and this guy, Delaware must love its political dinosaurs).
      5. Colorado (Michael Bennett)
      6. Pennsylvania (Arlen Specter)

      SD and Arkansas are red states and Dorgan is retiring because he knows he has no shot at reelection. Blance Lincoln could probably get beat by Alan Keyes in Arkansas at this point. Nevada is "purple" state that leans GOP in most years and Harry Reid has been the Democratic point man in the Senate for what's perceived to be a liberal administration. Delaware just has an attractive candidate. Colorado is probably more red than Nevada, but Michael Bennett isn't as visible as Reid, still that will be another pickup in a good year for the GOP. If Specter gets out of the Democratic primary, then this spot will definitely go to the GOP, it's bad year for incumbents and Specter is the ultimate incumbent. My confidence level will go down if some other democrat beats Specter, but I still think this is a likely pickup for the GOP because Pat Toomey is leading both prospective Democratic nominees.

      There are other seats out there that could turn into a surprise, but I wouldn't bet on it. The least surprising of the surprises would be Mark Kirk winning in Illinois. The second least surprsing would be the defeat of Barbara Boxer. She's been lucky to have batted 3 for 3 in being up for election/reelection in friendly years for Democrats in California (92, 98 and 04). But the distinction between California and Massachusetts is the number of independents. Independents in Massachusetts are somewhere around 40% of the electorate. In California, it's 20%. The other distinction is Boxer is a tough and dogged campaigner, she couldn't be any more different than Martha Coakley in this regard.

      All in all, the GOP will pick up around 6 seats in the Senate to make it 53-47 for the Democrats. Maybe a few surprises do end up happening, but maybe the GOP loses one of its open seats (like Ohio).

      I am worried about Ohio's Seat by Dinosaur Voinivich.. However, Ohio is going to flip back to the GOP. Lt. Gov Fisher or Brunner will not win that seat. Portman will take it for the GOP, in addition Kasich will win the Governship in Ohio as well.. He will bang his drum on Obama's useless Stimulus money and how it did nothing for Ohio and it will work.. The fact is.. Northern Ohio has a higher national avg of unemployment.. No way a Dem gets that seat..

      Having worked closely with Lt. Gov Fisher. I was not impressed at all, in fact frustrated was more of the term I would use. Nevermind the way he treated some of my friends at the Ohio Department of Development..

      I just hope Kasich has a good plan to bring Ohio to the 21st century as far as business is concerned. I am voting for a guy who wants to reduce State employees more and it could cost me my own job...

      It is just too bad Brown is not up for re-election or he would be toast.. Instead we have to deal with him longer in then Senate..

      IMO...
      Last edited by dabrockster; 01-25-2010, 02:52 PM.

      Comment

      • Color Me Badd Fan
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 12519

        #4
        Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
        I am worried about Ohio's Seat by Dinosaur Voinivich.. However, Ohio is goign to flip back. Lt. Gov Fisher or Brunner will not win that seat. Portman will take it for the GOP, in addition Kasich will win the Governship in Ohio as well.. He will bang his drum on Obama's useless Stimulus money and how it did nothing for Ohio and it will work.. The fact is.. Northern Ohio has a higher national avg of unemployment.. No way a Dem gets that seat..

        It is just too bad Brown is not up for re-election or he would be toast.. Instead we have to deal with him longer in then Senate..

        IMO...
        It sounds like Kasich is pretty popular. The scary thing for the Democrats is that 2012 is a bad year for them as far as reelections go. 2006 was a good year for them in the Senate, but they also elected a bunch of Democrats in red states. Now that the Democrats are not so surprisingly overreaching, the red staters are going to come back and kick them in 2012.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

        Comment

        • Color Me Badd Fan
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2009
          • 12519

          #5
          Dan Coats, the former tight end for BYU, is running against Evan Bayh in Indiana. Okay, I'm just kidding, it's Dan Coats the former senator from Indiana. That race is now officially a tossup and I think Bayh's votes for the stimulus and health care bills will be like millstones around his neck.

          Apparently Kirk is polling ahead of Garafalo (or whatever his name is). Eight pickups for the GOP might not be too far fetched. That puts the Senate at 51-49 in favor of the Dems. As center-right guy myself, I would prefer that the GOP remain as a strong minority in the Senate because I'm doubtful on how much a 51-49 majority for the GOP (the best case scenario for the GOP after the 2010 midterm) could really get done when two of those 51 Senators are the Maine senators. With a 49 Senator minority, the GOP can still have quite a bit of power while still being able to pin problems on the Democratic Senate and President. I think in the end this will be an advantage for the GOP in the 2012 Presidential race.

          Under the best case scenario the GOP could take 10 seats, but it's a huge longshot. George Pataki may run against Gillebrand in New York, but it's doubtful he'll run, if he does he'll beat Gillibrand. Tom Campbell polls better than Fiorina in CA against Barbara Boxer, but this is the same guy that lost to Diane Feinstein by 20 points. It's a favorable year for the GOP, but is it that favorable? I doubt it.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

          Comment

          • byu71
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22070

            #6
            I just saw Boxer on TV this morning. What is wrong with California??

            Comment

            • Color Me Badd Fan
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2009
              • 12519

              #7
              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
              I just saw Boxer on TV this morning. What is wrong with California??
              It's called luck, in that Boxer has run in the 92, 98 and 04 elections thus far which have all been very favorable for the Dems in California. I don't think any of her elections have really been close. California isn't as blue as Masschusetts, but it's more entrenched than Massachusetts. The number of independents aren't as high in CA as Massachusetts. Also, Barbara Boxer is no Martha Coakley. She is a nasty, dogged campaigner. Meg Whitman, who's running for governor, could beat Barbara Boxer. I don't think Fiorina or Campbell can.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

              Comment

              • byu71
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 22070

                #8
                Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                It's called luck, in that Boxer has run in the 92, 98 and 04 elections thus far which have all been very favorable for the Dems in California. I don't think any of her elections have really been close. California isn't as blue as Masschusetts, but it's more entrenched than Massachusetts. The number of independents aren't as high in CA as Massachusetts. Also, Barbara Boxer is no Martha Coakley. She is a nasty, dogged campaigner. Meg Whitman, who's running for governor, could beat Barbara Boxer. I don't think Fiorina or Campbell can.
                Could PAC beat her. Wait I forgot. My dear friend whom I respect and admire is an Obama shrill. Nevermind.

                Comment

                • Color Me Badd Fan
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 12519

                  #9
                  Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                  Could PAC beat her. Wait I forgot. My dear friend whom I respect and admire is an Obama shrill. Nevermind.
                  Given that PAC thinks Obama has been pragmatic so far ($1.5 trillion deficit, stimulus payoffs to Democratic constituencies, attempted takeover of health care, and bribes to Unions), I'm not sure if PAC could deliver the goods for the GOP even if he won. As I said about Specter when he turned Peter Brady, what's the point of having a guy like this in the fold?

                  Yes everyone, I'm picking a fight with the least offensive, and probably the best, poster in the forum.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                  Comment

                  • il Padrino Ute
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 19161

                    #10
                    I don't know if Obama is smart enough to work with any kind of GOP majority. Clinton worked with the Repubs, not because it was best for the country, but because his ego was big enough that looking good when history talks about him was more important than his personal politics.

                    Obama is too arrogant to make himself look good. He wants to turn this country into some sort of European socialist state and doesn't give a damn what effect it has on those who oppose or support him. If the GOP can gain just enough seats in the House and Senate to cause gridlock, it will be a good thing because it would prevent Obama from pushing his agenda on the people. He'll look ineffective and his arrogance won't allow him to realize that it would be best to work with the other side.
                    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                    Comment

                    • Color Me Badd Fan
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 12519

                      #11
                      Evan Bayh is retiring. Given the fact that it's Indiana and a former GOP Senator (Coats) is running, this is going to be another pickup for the GOP.

                      The math now looks like this:

                      GOP pickups:

                      Very likely:

                      North Dakota
                      Arkansas
                      Delaware
                      Pennsylvania
                      Nevada
                      Indiana

                      Possible to likely:

                      Colorado
                      Illinois

                      Possible to unlikely:

                      California

                      Unlikely unless good candidate runs:

                      New York (Pataki runs)
                      Wisconsin
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                      Comment

                      • Indy Coug
                        Heartless Bastard
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 18747

                        #12
                        Dan Coats is a real mess. I can't believe that putz is running for office again. I'd vote for Bayh over Coats without a second of hesitation.
                        Last edited by Indy Coug; 02-16-2010, 10:20 AM.
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

                        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                        Comment

                        • happyone
                          Board Bookworm
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 5398

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                          Evan Bayh is retiring. Given the fact that it's Indiana and a former GOP Senator (Coats) is running, this is going to be another pickup for the GOP.

                          The math now looks like this:

                          GOP pickups:

                          Very likely:

                          North Dakota
                          Arkansas
                          Delaware
                          Pennsylvania
                          Nevada
                          Indiana

                          Possible to likely:

                          Colorado
                          Illinois

                          Possible to unlikely:

                          California

                          Unlikely unless good candidate runs:

                          New York (Pataki runs)
                          Wisconsin

                          I heard that Tommy Thompson might run in Wisconsin. If he does where does that put Wisc in your scenerio?

                          I may be small, but I'm slow.

                          A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                          Comment

                          • Color Me Badd Fan
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 12519

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                            Dan Coats is a real mess. I can't believe that putz is running for office again. I'd vote for Bayh over Coats without a second of hesitation.
                            I admittedly know little about Coats. The guy that should be running is Mike Pence. Mike Pence was being recruited to run but he figured being in line to become the majority leader (or even Speaker of the House) was more attractive than running against a centrist Democrat incumbent who had previously been a two term governor. Supposedly the deadline to notify of your intent to run is coming shortly and Pence could still do it but he already stated that he's not going to run.
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #15
                              Yes, Pence would be an infinitely better candidate than Coats.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              Working...