Haiti flattened by an earthquake.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Hallelujah
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 2741

    #31
    Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
    Haiti's Prime Minister was just interviewed live on CNN and said they estimate "well over 100,000" are dead, and the devastation is so widespread that the government may no longer have order and control. Additionally, everyone is presumed dead inside the collapsed United Nations HQ building.

    Nothing like a little fearmongering.
    Did the government ever have order and control in Haiti? Sad, sad for the average citizen there.

    Comment

    • Hallelujah
      Junior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 2741

      #32
      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      One of the things I really love about the church. They stand ready to do good.

      It is too bad some of the members are of the Pat Robertson persuasion, but I think that is a personality thing that flourishes in a conservative environment and not something they are taught by the gospel.
      the church stands ready? not nearly good enough for some of the church's critics who say the church doesn't spend near enough money on disasters like this.

      Comment

      • myboynoah
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 21719

        #33
        The Today Show is on the ground in Port au Prince. Excellent. Brian Williams, Ann Curry, and Al Roker on the ground.

        Does no one else see something unseemly about these news organizations rushing to the disaster so they can show us their reports and images of the devastation? Do they bring assistance? Do they bring food, water, even first aid kits? But for sure they will bring enough food, water, fuel, and cover to maintain themselve while they gawk at the suffering.

        I understand the need and benefit of letting the world know what is happening, but how many of these people are needed there, getting in the way, requesting administrative support, eating up needed resources? Put the mikes down Ann, Al, and Brian, and start helping to remove some rubble.

        Maybe I'm being too hard on them.

        On a more positive note, it looks like the U.S. military is fully engaged and getting on the ground. Even the French and Chinese have arrived. I suspect the countries in the region will start sending aid as well. No doubt, Cuba will be involved. This will be interesting to watch the cooperation. Pres Clinton is looking strong in his role.

        Via facebook, my daughter found out our friends (at least the mother and daughters) made it to the DR and will be evacuated back to the U.S. today. Kids and their facebook; it's amazing. Dad is going to be very busy over the next several months.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

        For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

        Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

        Comment

        • byu71
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22070

          #34
          Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
          The Today Show is on the ground in Port au Prince. Excellent. Brian Williams, Ann Curry, and Al Roker on the ground.

          Does no one else see something unseemly about these news organizations rushing to the disaster so they can show us their reports and images of the devastation? Do they bring assistance? Do they bring food, water, even first aid kits? But for sure they will bring enough food, water, fuel, and cover to maintain themselve while they gawk at the suffering.

          I understand the need and benefit of letting the world know what is happening, but how many of these people are needed there, getting in the way, requesting administrative support, eating up needed resources? Put the mikes down Ann, Al, and Brian, and start helping to remove some rubble.

          Maybe I'm being too hard on them.

          On a more positive note, it looks like the U.S. military is fully engaged and getting on the ground. Even the French and Chinese have arrived. I suspect the countries in the region will start sending aid as well. No doubt, Cuba will be involved. This will be interesting to watch the cooperation. Pres Clinton is looking strong in his role.

          Via facebook, my daughter found out our friends (at least the mother and daughters) made it to the DR and will be evacuated back to the U.S. today. Kids and their facebook; it's amazing. Dad is going to be very busy over the next several months.

          Good news about your friends.

          I get the same uneasy feeling when I see all the "anchors" rush to the scene. I know the coverage has to help people see the need to help, but do the anchors have to be there?

          I am proud of what our government and citizens do in these situations. The massive and timely response. It does bother me though when I see how good a people Americans and America is on the whole and yet I have to hear constant reminders of how much a lot of people around the world hate us. Go figure.

          Comment

          • Hallelujah
            Junior Member
            • Dec 2008
            • 2741

            #35
            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            Good news about your friends.

            I get the same uneasy feeling when I see all the "anchors" rush to the scene. I know the coverage has to help people see the need to help, but do the anchors have to be there?

            I am proud of what our government and citizens do in these situations. The massive and timely response. It does bother me though when I see how good a people Americans and America is on the whole and yet I have to hear constant reminders of how much a lot of people around the world hate us. Go figure.

            Ditto to 71 and Myboynoah.

            Comment

            • Fiyero
              Banned
              • Nov 2008
              • 5266

              #36
              Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
              The Today Show is on the ground in Port au Prince. Excellent. Brian Williams, Ann Curry, and Al Roker on the ground.

              Does no one else see something unseemly about these news organizations rushing to the disaster so they can show us their reports and images of the devastation? Do they bring assistance? Do they bring food, water, even first aid kits? But for sure they will bring enough food, water, fuel, and cover to maintain themselve while they gawk at the suffering.

              I understand the need and benefit of letting the world know what is happening, but how many of these people are needed there, getting in the way, requesting administrative support, eating up needed resources? Put the mikes down Ann, Al, and Brian, and start helping to remove some rubble.

              Maybe I'm being too hard on them.
              I had the same thoughts but concluded that they are raising awareness, and more people will get involved and donate. Showing footage, conducting interviews, having more of an interactive, human approach to the story will evoke greater sympathy from the viewers.

              Comment

              • il Padrino Ute
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 19161

                #37
                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                Good news about your friends.

                I get the same uneasy feeling when I see all the "anchors" rush to the scene. I know the coverage has to help people see the need to help, but do the anchors have to be there?

                I am proud of what our government and citizens do in these situations. The massive and timely response. It does bother me though when I see how good a people Americans and America is on the whole and yet I have to hear constant reminders of how much a lot of people around the world hate us. Go figure.
                You're not being hard enough on them. These are worthless celebrities who only exist to congratulate themselves on doing absolutely nothing that benefits society. If they really gave a damn about the Haitians, they'd be there digging through the rubble to help clean up or donating a large portion of their huge salaries to buy the needed basic items these poor victims of the earthquake need.

                As for much of the world hating the USA, while it may be true, it's times like this that the world realizes it needs the USA as well. I believe that's the underlying reason why so much of the world hates this country - without the USA, those countries would wither and die. I'll admit that it's rather arrogant of me to state that, but I really do believe it's true.
                "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                Comment

                • dabrockster
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 10951

                  #38
                  I was reading an article from CNN and it talked about their hotel. And I was pretty pissed to hear a little complaint about their flight. And how they could hear gunshots and the screams and moaning from the people across the street at the park living in pain and darkness. Yet they ensured they talked about their power being cut off at 1 AM and doing work on their stuff by flashlight..


                  You piece of shit celebrities.. You share no sympathy for those living in darkness WITHOUT a flashlight let alone anything else.

                  And you feel concerned about your safety due to gun shots in your barricaded hotel with barbed wire and a gunman there to guard the hotel..

                  Comment

                  • UtahDan
                    *
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14496

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Space Ghost
                    From U.S. Department of State:
                    To help with relief efforts, text "HAITI" to "90999" and $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross, charged to your cell phone bill.

                    Reach out to your social networks, and encourage anyone/everyone to do it too. My guess is that there is someone in Haiti that needs $10 more than you do.

                    Apologies if this has already been posted. I did a quick (but not a thorough) check and I didn't see it.

                    cheers.
                    Thanks for sharing this. I have literally told everyone I know about this every way I can. Hopefully this is a use of technology that will really yield some results.

                    Comment

                    • il Padrino Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19161

                      #40
                      Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                      I was reading an article from CNN and it talked about their hotel. And I was pretty pissed to hear a little complaint about their flight. And how they could hear gunshots and the screams and moaning from the people across the street at the park living in pain and darkness. Yet they ensured they talked about their power being cut off at 1 AM and doing work on their stuff by flashlight..


                      You piece of shit celebrities.. You share no sympathy for those living in darkness WITHOUT a flashlight let alone anything else.

                      And you feel concerned about your safety due to gun shots in your barricaded hotel with barbed wire and a gunman there to guard the hotel..
                      "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                      "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                      Comment

                      • wuapinmon
                        Soul Plumber
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 30711

                        #41
                        I sent this email out as soon as I heard about the quake.

                        Yesterday, Western Haiti was absolutely devastated by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake, an incredibly strong and violent level of temblor. Haiti is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere (due mostly to their having to pay France about $22 billion, in today's money, in ransom for their independence) and many of the structures erected on the island are built of shoddy materials by people who cannot afford quality construction. This led to a massive collapse of buildings and loss of life.

                        While donations of humanitarian supplies are needed in the initial 7-14 days, what Haiti will need most in the next year is hard currency. Cash allows people to purchase things, make a living, and will stimulate their devastated economy. The International Student Organization asks you to make a donation, even if it's only a dollar, to help the people of Haiti. Donations can be dropped off at the Post Office to be put in Dr. Williams' mailbox.

                        The ISO will take donations until next Friday, and then we will review the information coming out of Haiti and decide which organization most needs the money that we have collected. No donation is too small.

                        Thank you,


                        The ISO Executive Committee
                        From a student:

                        Thank you Dr. Mac for trying to help out... i really appreciated because i am from Haiti also and i cant get a hold of my family down there, and i am kinda worry about it right now. I really appreciated for helping my people out. Keep me in your prayers...
                        My response:
                        I'm very sorry for you, and I can't tell you how sorry I am that you cannot contact your family. If you need a home-cooked meal of beans, rice, and plantain, give me a call, and my wife and I will make you some Haitian comfort food, to the best of our ability. We will pray for you.
                        Some things hit close to home. I feel just wretched for this young man. If you wanted a name to attach to your prayers about this matter, just pray for "wuap's student." I hear that God'll know who you're referring to.
                        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                        Comment

                        • UtahDan
                          *
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14496

                          #42
                          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          Some things hit close to home. I feel just wretched for this young man. If you wanted a name to attach to your prayers about this matter, just pray for "wuap's student." I hear that God'll know who you're referring to.
                          That is heart wrenching. I was in the car today listening to a BBC report, the angle of which was all the Haitians all over the world who have no idea what the fate of their loved ones is. Just regular folks who have conceivably lost most or all of their relatives.

                          I wonder how much volunteers are needed or whether that would be a burden.

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #43
                            Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                            That is heart wrenching. I was in the car today listening to a BBC report, the angle of which was all the Haitians all over the world who have no idea what the fate of their loved ones is. Just regular folks who have conceivably lost most or all of their relatives.

                            I wonder how much volunteers are needed or whether that would be a burden.
                            In disaster areas, unless you are self-sustaining (own food, water, clothing, shelter, security, bathrooms, communications), your services are not needed unless you are a volunteer with an organization that can supply those things to you. Even then, in some cases, from personal experience, you will be turned away.
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • LA Ute
                              Receiver of Memory
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19512

                              #44
                              Apologies if this is posted below, but to contribute to the Church's relief effort (and learn about it) you can go here.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden


                              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                              Comment

                              • Coach McGuirk
                                1
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 12109

                                #45
                                More on the efforts of the Church,

                                All LDS meetinghouses in Haiti escaped unscathed and are being used in relief efforts, either to help house and care for survivors or to help distribute supplies as they arrive.
                                "There have been 500 to 600 staying at a few of the meetinghouses, he said. "All buildings are sturdy; there's no structural damage, and they're safe to use as shelters."
                                As Leishman spoke Thursday afternoon at the church's Bishops Central Storehouse and Humanitarian Center complex, palettes were being stacked with supplies and loaded onto trucks, destined for the devastated Caribbean island nation.


                                The LDS Church has already sent supplies into Haiti, primarily from its Caribbean Area offices in neighboring Dominican Republic.
                                More is on the way — food, supplies, even medical personnel are en route.
                                On Friday, a jet will leave Denver loaded with 80,000 pounds of supplies donated by the LDS Church, including 12,000 water-filtration bottles, food, blankets, tarps, tents and powdered milk.
                                Another flight carrying an additional 80,000 pounds of supplies is expected to leave from Miami on Saturday.
                                The church is also coordinating the transport of medical professionals who will assist injured Haitians, establishing a makeshift medical center in a Mormon meetinghouse in one of the most-affected areas.
                                Soon after the earthquake, the church sent two pickup trucks loaded with hygiene kits, blankets, food boxes to sustain a family of four for upward of two weeks and kits for caring for newborns — a limited number of humanitarian supplies already on hand in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
                                Also trucked over to Haiti on passable roads in affected areas were containers of extra fuel to supply the cars of local Haiti church leaders, who were out trying to deliver relief items and assessing needs.
                                Since the LDS Church also works with other relief organizations in Haiti and the Dominican Republic, additional supplies have been stockpiled in their warehouses, and church leaders have been drawing upon those in the first wave of assistance, Leishman said.

                                Comment

                                Working...