No announcement yet.

Post your diet and workout plans here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have finally decided that I don't like being so out of shape. My wife just got a job at the local school, so I have a key to their brand new weight room now.

My wife and I have started the Stronglifts 5x5 program. I have never really lifted in my life, so this a bit of a new experience.

Since I am new to lifting, how will I know when I am strong? I figure it is all relative to body weight, and since am scrawny, I don't don't have to lift as much as some of the big fatties. It will be interesting to see how this goes over the next 6 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
      I have finally decided that I don't like being so out of shape. My wife just got a job at the local school, so I have a key to their brand new weight room now.

My wife and I have started the Stronglifts 5x5 program. I have never really lifted in my life, so this a bit of a new experience.

Since I am new to lifting, how will I know when I am strong? I figure it is all relative to body weight, and since am scrawny, I don't don't have to lift as much as some of the big fatties. It will be interesting to see how this goes over the next 6 months.
      Just eat some spinach and call it good.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Today's fitness tip: I'm taking an exercise science class from a professor who researches metabolism and it's been very interesting if a bit overwhelming. The object is to have a workout plan by the end of August that is unique to each individual's age and objectives, with a view toward achieving those objectives as efficiently as possible. He's constantly harping on the importance of not doing too much, i.e., overtraining. One interesting tidbit he shared relates to avoiding SRX (super relaxed state) during the day which greatly diminishes metabolism and fat burning. SXR is essentially sitting or lying on a recliner, relaxing, and not moving other than clicking on a computer, iPhone, or remote. It's important to keep your muscles "idling" by moving frequently. One easy way to do this is to do a ten-second (nothing more) very tight muscle clench of every muscle in your body (at least as many as you can focus on, from toes up to your neck). He says their research shows that doing that for ten seconds keeps your muscles "activated" for up to an hour, significantly increasing your resting metabolic rate (RMR). Exercise lowers one's RMR unless one's muscles are activated throughout the day. This conflicts with my previous routine of doing a long hike or ride, then lying around the rest of the day, proud of what I did in the morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Today's fitness tip: I'm taking an exercise science class from a professor who researches metabolism and it's been very interesting if a bit overwhelming. The object is to have a workout plan by the end of August that is unique to each individual's age and objectives, with a view toward achieving those objectives as efficiently as possible. He's constantly harping on the importance of not doing too much, i.e., overtraining. One interesting tidbit he shared relates to avoiding SRX (super relaxed state) during the day which greatly diminishes metabolism and fat burning. SXR is essentially sitting or lying on a recliner, relaxing, and not moving other than clicking on a computer, iPhone, or remote. It's important to keep your muscles "idling" by moving frequently. One easy way to do this is to do a ten-second (nothing more) very tight muscle clench of every muscle in your body (at least as many as you can focus on, from toes up to your neck). He says their research shows that doing that for ten seconds keeps your muscles "activated" for up to an hour, significantly increasing your resting metabolic rate (RMR). Exercise lowers one's RMR unless one's muscles are activated throughout the day. This conflicts with my previous routine of doing a long hike or ride, then lying around the rest of the day, proud of what I did in the morning.
          That's interesting, maybe I need to use my stand up desk more.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

That's interesting, maybe I need to use my stand up desk more.
            He says it's good, but it's even more important to move regularly. Standing (or sitting) still for an extended period is counterproductive.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              Today's fitness tip: I'm taking an exercise science class from a professor who researches metabolism and it's been very interesting if a bit overwhelming. The object is to have a workout plan by the end of August that is unique to each individual's age and objectives, with a view toward achieving those objectives as efficiently as possible. He's constantly harping on the importance of not doing too much, i.e., overtraining. One interesting tidbit he shared relates to avoiding SRX (super relaxed state) during the day which greatly diminishes metabolism and fat burning. SXR is essentially sitting or lying on a recliner, relaxing, and not moving other than clicking on a computer, iPhone, or remote. It's important to keep your muscles "idling" by moving frequently. One easy way to do this is to do a ten-second (nothing more) very tight muscle clench of every muscle in your body (at least as many as you can focus on, from toes up to your neck). He says their research shows that doing that for ten seconds keeps your muscles "activated" for up to an hour, significantly increasing your resting metabolic rate (RMR). Exercise lowers one's RMR unless one's muscles are activated throughout the day. This conflicts with my previous routine of doing a long hike or ride, then lying around the rest of the day, proud of what I did in the morning.
              I do long jogs (slow, as you know) or hikes most days and can't sit still during the super relaxed state. So, when I go home, I usually already have about 7,000 steps just walking from the garage to my office, around the office for coffee, (healthy) snacks, to chat (often about work), a couple of blocks to pick up a lunch, get my wife an Americano. Is that good enough? (Leaving aside strength exercise.)

Agree with not overtraining. My no. 1 rule is something is better than nothing, and no. 2 is don't set yourself up for a regime that you'll quit. It has to be in a way enjoyale.

I enjoyed Attia's book about Longevity.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
              X