Originally posted by nikuman
View Post
Marathon Training Thread
Collapse
X
-
I've been fairly lucky in the dog department, most that have harassed me have been little yippers, easily dealt with via a quick kick. I can think of two, though, that genuinely scared me.
-
Anything bigger than a dachshund scares me when I am running. I had one of those growing up, and personally saw it take out a cow and a horse at separate times. Thankfully, I think most of us could out-run a dachshund.Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View PostI've been fairly lucky in the dog department, most that have harassed me have been little yippers, easily dealt with via a quick kick. I can think of two, though, that genuinely scared me.Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.
Comment
-
The thing that can really make you jump are those invisible fences. Three big dogs come racing at you and then stop right at the property line. Then you're all uncomfortable for the rest of your run because you just crapped your pants.
Comment
-
I get the same effect when I have too much fiber.Originally posted by Sea Chicken View PostThe thing that can really make you jump are those invisible fences. Three big dogs come racing at you and then stop right at the property line. Then you're all uncomfortable for the rest of your run because you just crapped your pants.Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.
Comment
-
When I was doing the mission thing in one area there was a family with a couple of dobermans. We would run in the morning and the dogs would chase us up the fence line. My companion liked to harras them a little and bark back at them - running back and forth along the fence.Originally posted by Sea Chicken View PostThe thing that can really make you jump are those invisible fences. Three big dogs come racing at you and then stop right at the property line. Then you're all uncomfortable for the rest of your run because you just crapped your pants.
One day as he was doing this - running back and forth along the fence barking at them - when he arrived at the gate it was open.
I think he nearly filled his pants. The dogs just continued along like the dang gate was still shut and wouldn't cross its threshold.
It was tense for a moment, but then I got a pretty good laugh from the look on his face.
Comment
-
I rode that trail Monday part of the way. There are some slight ups and downs, but not much to talk about. It crosses the highway a couple of times as you go - with tunnels and an overpass, but that overpass will be the most elevation you'll get.Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View PostI probably do 95% of my running on the JRP. It's awesome. There's a trailhead 3/4 of a mile from my front door, and I can go about 6 miles south, or there are two trails that go north, one is 1.5 miles, the other is a mile. So round trip I can get in about 17 miles without ever running on the street. The best part is that you don't have to worry about cars and dogs. I can't wait until they get the whole thing connected.
I think I'm going to go run my 20 milers on the parkway next to the Legacy Highway later this summer. It's 13 miles in either direction, and looks mostly flat.
Comment
-
I just found a link that I hadn't seen before with some newer info on the JRP. It includes this Google Earth link that is supposed to be current as of May 14th. There's a completely paved section from 8500 south to 300 south which it says is around 14 miles. I'm about 2 miles from a trailhead, but unfortunately it's 3900 south which has is a pretty shady park at the trailhead. I think I will start using it on some of my longer runs though, the short ones where I have to work that morning are easier just to start and end from my front door so I can still get to work on time.Originally posted by Teenage Dirtbag View PostI probably do 95% of my running on the JRP. It's awesome. There's a trailhead 3/4 of a mile from my front door, and I can go about 6 miles south, or there are two trails that go north, one is 1.5 miles, the other is a mile. So round trip I can get in about 17 miles without ever running on the street. The best part is that you don't have to worry about cars and dogs. I can't wait until they get the whole thing connected.
I think I'm going to go run my 20 milers on the parkway next to the Legacy Highway later this summer. It's 13 miles in either direction, and looks mostly flat.
"I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh
Comment
-
I usually don't go further north than about 4100 South. It seems like they're finding a body in the river along that stretch all the time. There's a trailhead on 4800 South (Murray Taylorsville Rd) that you can get on and run all the way to 8500 South. That's a really nice stretch of the trail, lots of people.Originally posted by ewth8tr View PostI just found a link that I hadn't seen before with some newer info on the JRP. It includes this Google Earth link that is supposed to be current as of May 14th. There's a completely paved section from 8500 south to 300 south which it says is around 14 miles. I'm about 2 miles from a trailhead, but unfortunately it's 3900 south which has is a pretty shady park at the trailhead. I think I will start using it on some of my longer runs though, the short ones where I have to work that morning are easier just to start and end from my front door so I can still get to work on time.
http://www.ci.slc.ut.us/transportati...ail5_14_09.kmz
I'm clear down at 12600 South, and I wish the whole trail was connected, but the portions that are are really good. I've seen dump trucks going in and out of the Jordan Narrows, so I'm wondering if they're working on that part. The plan is to eventually connect Utah and SL Counties.
Comment
-
yep, it's the 41st south one I am by, I always forget it turns into 41st before the trailhead. Maybe I will drive over to the 4800 south one instead."I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh
Comment
-
7 miles today at just faster than a 9 min/mile pace. I had another five or six left in me (or so I felt at 7 - who knows how I would have felt at 10) but I had to get home to cook breakfast.
This week was supposed to be my rest week, and I end up running 25 miles anyway. I am pretty addicted.
ewth8tr has got me thinking about doing the Provo River half. I am planning on going to Utah around then anyway. It would be a nice race to bridge the time between my mileage buildup and my marathon training (which will start in September in earnest).Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.
Comment
-
Well, I just finished my first official week of my 18 week marathon training program. I went with a modified version of the Higdon Advanced I program. I shifted my week up a day to start on Monday, deleted the Wednesday slow run and took a rest day on Thursday before my two "weekend" runs on Friday and Saturday.
This was my first 5 day running week since my sophmore year of high school. I had some left thigh stiffness on Wednesday after my third consecutive day and was worried I might be headed toward some ITB issues. But I felt pretty well yesterday on my 5 miler and felt great today on a 10 miler.
17 weeks to go.
Comment
-
Originally posted by nikuman View Post7 miles today at just faster than a 9 min/mile pace. I had another five or six left in me (or so I felt at 7 - who knows how I would have felt at 10) but I had to get home to cook breakfast.
This week was supposed to be my rest week, and I end up running 25 miles anyway. I am pretty addicted.
ewth8tr has got me thinking about doing the Provo River half. I am planning on going to Utah around then anyway. It would be a nice race to bridge the time between my mileage buildup and my marathon training (which will start in September in earnest).
It's a very scenic and fast run. It is just hell on my knees and is not very well run at all. I told them last year I was not doing it again. I think I will stick to it. It has gone down hill every year I have participated, which has been 4 years.
Comment
-
I ran it 2 years ago, but not last year. What was the deal last year?Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View PostIt's a very scenic and fast run. It is just hell on my knees and is not very well run at all. I told them last year I was not doing it again. I think I will stick to it. It has gone down hill every year I have participated, which has been 4 years."I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh
Comment
-
OK, I haven't followed this thread at all, but I have a question for you expert marathoners.
I am running a half on Saturday (a week from today). I have never actually trained for a half before, even though I have run several, because I was always in the process of training for a full. Anyway, I haven't done as much as I would have liked to prepare for this race, but I did get in a 14, 13, 12, 11, 10 and many 7-9 mile runs. I am not your typical runner. I cross train. I only run one or two times a week.
So my question is, what should I being doing for exercise this week before the race? I was thinking of completely laying off of running and just sticking to the elliptical, swimming and probably my usual Tuesday spin class. And weight training? Should I just do upper body or should I cut it out altogether?What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
-Teenage Dirtbag
Comment
-
There was no organization at the start. Worse than normal. Started about 10 minutes early. I was in an outhouse at the time. At aid station 1, they were out of powerade when I got there. Station 2 they were out of water and powerade, No station carrying any gu or gel. The after race party which in the past has been quite good was very lacking. It ended up being not that fun and definitely not worth the fee.Originally posted by ewth8tr View PostI ran it 2 years ago, but not last year. What was the deal last year?
Comment
Comment