Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
    Do the pacers just give him a speed goal or is there some draft effect?
    There is arguably some draft effect, which is likely why the front pacers were in a V formation.

https://www.runnersworld.com/trainin...lp-in-running/

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    Which is interesting, because didn't Bannister break the 4 minute mile by also using pacers
    I think the difference in the eyes of the IAAF is that Bannister's record was in an open competition and did not use in-and-out pacers. Bannister was paced, but it was by other runners who ran the whole race.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Absolutely incredible feat. In my best shape ever, which was probably my senior year of high school, I could have kept pace with Kipchoge for probably 3/4 of a mile, maybe.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
        I think the difference in the eyes of the IAAF is that Bannister's record was in an open competition and did not use in-and-out pacers. Bannister was paced, but it was by other runners who ran the whole race...
        For some reason I had forgotten this. In at least one earlier attempt, Bannister used a pair of pacers who didn't run the entire race. Both were on the track, but one of them was actually lapped before taking up the lead for Bannister. But all of the runners on the day he broke the record actually did run the entire race.

Comment

• Just a few more days until I lace up the shoes for another marathon. Wasatch Revel is happening this weekend. Starts up somewhere near Strawberry, goes through Heber City and ends near Midway in Charleston. Its a downhill course, losing a net 2,000 feet, although thanks to a long climb starting in the first half mile, it is actually about a 2,500 foot drop over the last 23 miles. Weather looks pretty decent on Friday, with a high of 76 and a low of 36 in Heber. Could be quite chilly up at the start.

I have tempered expectations for this weekend. I've had a decent training cycle, but I'm definitely feeling the grind. I was able to do two 20-milers and had some decent mid-week mileage. But my legs aren't exactly feeling fresh at this point. Some soreness in the right Achilles and in the hamstrings. Hopefully they'll ease up this week with some rest.

A buddy and I were initially planning on Revel Mount Charleston in Vegas over the first weekend of April, but that was COVID cancelled. So Revel threw this one together last minute with limited participation. Only a couple of hundred runners on both Friday and Saturday. Starting in waves based on predicted finish time.

So don't do anything stupid before Thursday, Utah, and get this thing cancelled. My rental car is non-refundable.

Comment

• Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              Just a few more days until I lace up the shoes for another marathon. Wasatch Revel is happening this weekend. Starts up somewhere near Strawberry, goes through Heber City and ends near Midway in Charleston. Its a downhill course, losing a net 2,000 feet, although thanks to a long climb starting in the first half mile, it is actually about a 2,500 foot drop over the last 23 miles. Weather looks pretty decent on Friday, with a high of 76 and a low of 36 in Heber. Could be quite chilly up at the start.

I have tempered expectations for this weekend. I've had a decent training cycle, but I'm definitely feeling the grind. I was able to do two 20-milers and had some decent mid-week mileage. But my legs aren't exactly feeling fresh at this point. Some soreness in the right Achilles and in the hamstrings. Hopefully they'll ease up this week with some rest.

A buddy and I were initially planning on Revel Mount Charleston in Vegas over the first weekend of April, but that was COVID cancelled. So Revel threw this one together last minute with limited participation. Only a couple of hundred runners on both Friday and Saturday. Starting in waves based on predicted finish time.

So don't do anything stupid before Thursday, Utah, and get this thing cancelled. My rental car is non-refundable.
              If they do cancel it, just use the rental car to go and run the course anyway.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Go get 'em, bluegoose! May the weather be in your favor. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

• Good luck, bg. What's the Vegas O/U on your time? I've heard 3:59.

Comment

• Thanks guys.

O/U is currently simply a PR, which for me would be 3:50. I would be quite happy with a 3:45. A month ago, if asked I would have said my stretch goal is 3:30, as I was running well and feeling good. Now, with the way that I'm feeling, that would be a very lofty and likely unattainable goal.

Comment

• Well, that pretty much sucked.

The Heber marathon was much more difficult than expected. I actually had a decent training cycle over the last 9 months or so. Put in decent mid-week miles and had a good progression of long runs to include two 20 milers. But, living close to sea level, I was nowhere close to being prepared for the elevation of this course. I knew there was a climb at the start and was mentally prepared for it. But it was much longer and steeper than expected. That, plus the fact that it summitted over 8,000 feet made it crazy difficult and caused most of us to dig far too deep to have a good race.

By the time I hit the summit at mile 3 and started on the downhill portion, my legs were already cooked and I just couldn't get my heart rate down. My pace was still in decent shape at the 6.5 and 13 mile markers, but I knew pretty early on that I was toast. BY the time I hit mile 18 I was depleted and was basically just trying to keep moving, running from one mile marker to the next, with walking segments at each flag.

To add insult to injury, miles 20-23 were on the road shoulder along the highway that goes from Heber down toward Provo. So it was hot and exposed, traffic was flying by right next to us, causing us to inhale exhaust fumes the whole time, and flipping dust and gravel in the face. The last 3 miles were through the farm lands of Charleston and were actually quite nice. But you could see the finish tantalizingly close as you circled around it to add a few extra miles. At mile 25.5, we actually ran about 30 feet away from the finish flag, which was quite demoralizing knowing we still had over half a mile to go.

So, I was quite disappointed with my time, but at least I finished, which I wasn't sure I would do at several points in the run. Quite a bit of muscle soreness in the quads and calves, but not quite as bad as Big Bear 3 years ago. Was able to walk around the campus for a few hours later that day with my #byubound daughter, and had the treat of being able to hang out with Jeff Lebowski for quite some time in his office.

If asked today if I'll ever run another one, its a hard no. So I'll wait a few months to decide.

Comment

• That sounds similar to when I ran Nebo. Stupid to put so much uphill at that elevation.

Comment

• That sounds brutal.

I am glad you were able to use the elevator to get up to the 4th floor!
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Way to persevere.

I remember, at the packet pick-up for my first marathon (Ogden), talking to an old-timer who had run dozens of them. I mentioned it was my first, and he said something to the effect of, "You won't run your second until you forget your first." Maybe in this case you won't run your next until you forget your last.

Comment

• Just finishing a marathon is an accomplishment, so congrats. I've trained for three marathons and never ran one due to injuries. I've given up trying as my body just won't allow it. So I'm jealous of people who get to run them.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I want to do another. I still have a stupid goal of qualifying for Boston. Now that I am old, that seems more possible, but still very difficult. I was going to try this year, but I my broken foot from August still hurts, so I am afraid to sign up for anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X