Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marathon Training Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yeah maybe some knee stability exercises would do you some good. I've done several after my two knee surgeries a few years back.

    Comment


    • Good luck; I hope it resolves quickly. If it feels like someone is jamming a screwdriver into the side of your knee, then it might be IT band irritation.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

      "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
        Good luck; I hope it resolves quickly. If it feels like someone is jamming a screwdriver into the side of your knee, then it might be IT band irritation.
        That is pretty much what it feels like. My left hip can get tight as well. Today the knee is quite sore. I need to avoid running for at least a week. Thinking about going for a long bike ride tomorrow. Would that be a mistake?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          Dang. My wife has run a few with knee braces on, maybe you can try something to give you some stability.
          Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          Yeah maybe some knee stability exercises would do you some good. I've done several after my two knee surgeries a few years back.
          Why do you guys assume that the knee is unstable? Maybe it's just that the running surfaces are just abnormally hard.

          Sorry for the troubles, Omaha. Hope it gets better soon.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
            That is pretty much what it feels like. My left hip can get tight as well. Today the knee is quite sore. I need to avoid running for at least a week. Thinking about going for a long bike ride tomorrow. Would that be a mistake?
            Uh oh. IT band issues can be a bear to overcome. That was why I actually had the knee surgeries. I think I posted about them in the running thread. I first noticed the pain in my right hip while doing speed work at an army school. But the first serious signs of issues were when I was riding my bike.

            I would work on IT Band stretches and get a good foam roller to roll the band all the way from the hip to the knee.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
              That is pretty much what it feels like. My left hip can get tight as well. Today the knee is quite sore. I need to avoid running for at least a week. Thinking about going for a long bike ride tomorrow. Would that be a mistake?
              Why don't you try getting a good deep-tissue massage to work on the quads, hammies, and IT band? Also the hip flexors and gastrocs.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                Why do you guys assume that the knee is unstable? Maybe it's just that the running surfaces are just abnormally hard.

                Sorry for the troubles, Omaha. Hope it gets better soon.
                A lot of knee pain can be trace to knee instability. In fact, I'm willing to bet that knee strengthening can alleviate some minor IT band issues.

                Comment


                • After reading all about IT band issues for runners, I'm convinced that is my problem. I'm taking a full 10 days off from running. Ice and ibuprofen and foam rolling the band twice a day. A couple articles I read says cross training by biking or swimming should be ok while you decrease or pause your running miles to allow the band inflammation to subside. So I did 25 miles on the bike yesterday. I know that's not a lot but for someone like me who has never done any serious miles on a bike it was a good workout. Also I dont have a proper training bike. My muscles are sore today but my knee feels ok.

                  I'm going to bike 4-5 times this week and then go out on Saturday to see if I can run. Still holding out some hope I can actually do the race.

                  Edit: I also may do the deep tissue massage mtnbiker suggested.
                  Last edited by Omaha 680; 05-05-2019, 08:59 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                    After reading all about IT band issues for runners, I'm convinced that is my problem. I'm taking a full 10 days off from running. Ice and ibuprofen and foam rolling the band twice a day. A couple articles I read says cross training by biking or swimming should be ok while you decrease or pause your running miles to allow the band inflammation to subside. So I did 25 miles on the bike yesterday. I know that's not a lot but for someone like me who has never done any serious miles on a bike it was a good workout. Also I dont have a proper training bike. My muscles are sore today but my knee feels ok.

                    I'm going to bike 4-5 times this week and then go out on Saturday to see if I can run. Still holding out some hope I can actually do the race.

                    Edit: I also may do the deep tissue massage mtnbiker suggested.
                    If you haven't biked before, be prepared for some tightness in your hamstrings as well. Stretch both hamstrings and quads given the resulting strain. Good luck and have fun.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      After reading all about IT band issues for runners, I'm convinced that is my problem. I'm taking a full 10 days off from running. Ice and ibuprofen and foam rolling the band twice a day. A couple articles I read says cross training by biking or swimming should be ok while you decrease or pause your running miles to allow the band inflammation to subside. So I did 25 miles on the bike yesterday. I know that's not a lot but for someone like me who has never done any serious miles on a bike it was a good workout. Also I dont have a proper training bike. My muscles are sore today but my knee feels ok.

                      I'm going to bike 4-5 times this week and then go out on Saturday to see if I can run. Still holding out some hope I can actually do the race.

                      Edit: I also may do the deep tissue massage mtnbiker suggested.
                      Oh man, I’m sorry about your issues. I can empathize. I started to have it band issues right after my 20 miler, which was three weeks before the marathon. I ended up not running because I couldn’t get more than five miles without sharp pain. I stretched, foam rolled, saw a soft tissue chiro who did some deep tissue stuff within those three weeks and nothing helped. Race day sucked because I woke up in the best shape of my life but couldn’t run the race.

                      After two years of endless PT, steroid shots, stretching, exercising, weight lifting, cross training, etc I finally went under the knife and had my it band surgically lengthened. It worked to a point that I can now run without too much of an issue. My hip is still tight, but it will always be that way as my left hip joint is abnormal (which may have amplified some of the it band issues) but at least I can run pain free. I’ve since done several half marathons but I don’t dare get above that for fear of messing up my hip or causing the it band to tighten up again. I’ve also limited myself to tuning twice a week and swimming/cycling/lifting on the off days. It sucks because I prefer to run over everything else, but as I get older I’m finding I need to enjoy what I can while it lasts.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        Oh man, I’m sorry about your issues. I can empathize. I started to have it band issues right after my 20 miler, which was three weeks before the marathon. I ended up not running because I couldn’t get more than five miles without sharp pain. I stretched, foam rolled, saw a soft tissue chiro who did some deep tissue stuff within those three weeks and nothing helped. Race day sucked because I woke up in the best shape of my life but couldn’t run the race.

                        After two years of endless PT, steroid shots, stretching, exercising, weight lifting, cross training, etc I finally went under the knife and had my it band surgically lengthened. It worked to a point that I can now run without too much of an issue. My hip is still tight, but it will always be that way as my left hip joint is abnormal (which may have amplified some of the it band issues) but at least I can run pain free. I’ve since done several half marathons but I don’t dare get above that for fear of messing up my hip or causing the it band to tighten up again. I’ve also limited myself to tuning twice a week and swimming/cycling/lifting on the off days. It sucks because I prefer to run over everything else, but as I get older I’m finding I need to enjoy what I can while it lasts.
                        This is not making me feel better! I dont have a bucket list, but if I did a marathon would be on it so I hope I can somehow run the race.

                        I just went down a rabbit hole of IT band compression braces, straps, etc online. Do these products help at all or are they junk?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                          This is not making me feel better! I dont have a bucket list, but if I did a marathon would be on it so I hope I can somehow run the race.

                          I just went down a rabbit hole of IT band compression braces, straps, etc online. Do these products help at all or are they junk?
                          My semi-informed but non professional opinion is that they are junk. I’m actually also on the side of foam rolling being mostly junk for IT band issues but mostly because it’s never worked for me. It does help my leg feel a bit better but it’s never lengthened or helped my it band in any sort of way. I do use a lacrosse ball on my gluteus and top of my hammies, and that works on muscle but I’ve never had anything really help with the tough tissue.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                          Comment


                          • I biked 28 miles on Saturday with some pretty significant hills. I felt great during and immediately after. All day yesterday my knee was killing me and it hasn't really stopped. The pain is now on the inside instead of the outside where it hurt when running. That has to be something different than the IT band, right?

                            I'm done with any kind of training at this point. I will just ice and rest and see what happens. 6 days until the race. I have serious doubts I will be able to finish. I am pretty disappointed.

                            Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                              I biked 28 miles on Saturday with some pretty significant hills. I felt great during and immediately after. All day yesterday my knee was killing me and it hasn't really stopped. The pain is now on the inside instead of the outside where it hurt when running. That has to be something different than the IT band, right?

                              I'm done with any kind of training at this point. I will just ice and rest and see what happens. 6 days until the race. I have serious doubts I will be able to finish. I am pretty disappointed.

                              Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                              Sorry, dude. Hope it gets better. Will this be your first marathon?
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

                              Comment


                              • Dang man, best of luck.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X