Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Looks hot.
    We were at above 9000 ft the whole time, so not too hot. Were cold at night.

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Looks like a unique hike.

Please estimate the age of that last tree please.
    most are in the 500-1000 year range is my guess, others over 4000 years, though the biggest one in that grove is 1566 years old. The one we are looking at is all dead, those in background are only partially dead.

Comment

• Gorgeous. I love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

most are in the 500-1000 year range is my guess, others over 4000 years, though the biggest one in that grove is 1566 years old. The one we are looking at is all dead, those in background are only partially dead.
        That's crazy. I'd like to see those trees.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• We had some unseasonably warm weather this spring, combined with basically no rain from February through May. We had a free weekend in April, so my 21 year old son, a friend, and I decided to do a quick trip up into the Trinity Alps to a place none of us had been - Granite Lake. It was about a six mile hike in to the camp, with a couple thousand of elevation gain. The hike wasn't too bad until the last mile or so, which fairly steep climbing the last little pitch up to the lake.

Daytime temperatures were pleasant, probably upper fifties, but it was dang cold at night, mid 20s with a stiff breeze making it feeling way colder. We woke up in the morning to frozen water bottles for anything that wasn't stored in the tent overnight.

Beautiful scenery. There was still some snow on the north facing slopes, but we only had traverse a few snow patches on the way in. My buddy and I bagged Seven-Up pass on our second day, while my son hung around camp nursing some blisters. Great trip. I'm not usually one to go backpacking in the off season with the chance of lousy weather, so we really lucked out and snuck in an early-season freebie.
          Granite Lake panorama.jpg Granite Lake Mirror.jpg Granite Lake Waterfall.jpg Seven Up Peak east view.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

• (Haven't posted any pics in a long time, so I'm not sure why it double posted them here. )

Comment

• very nice, though I don't like cold. Trinity alps is on my list.

Comment

• Beautiful. Those pictures are worthy of being double-posted.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                  very nice, though I don't like cold. Trinity alps is on my list.
                  Come on up in two weeks! Doing a couples trip with some friends into the Marble Mountains toward the end of July. Black Marble Mountain and the Sky High Lakes. It's not technically the Trinities, but they're basically connected at the hip.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post

Come on up in two weeks! Doing a couples trip with some friends into the Marble Mountains toward the end of July. Black Marble Mountain and the Sky High Lakes. It's not technically the Trinities, but they're basically connected at the hip.
                    sound fun, but the 8 hour drive does not. I expect pictures.

Comment

• The pictures are great, BG, and worthy of repetition.

Comment

• Beautiful. A little too cold for me, but if you're moving, maybe not too bad.

Comment

• I'm drying out from my latest backpacking adventure in the San Juans (SW Colorado). Here are a few pics.

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_E0138.JPG
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• I did the San Juans in June once. I may still be wet.

Comment

• Great pics PBW. Love that lake pic.

Comment

• Good stuff, PBW.
                                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Working...
                                X