Backpacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post

I think I’m done backpacking without a canister as well. When I was prepping for this trip, I was actually at the outdoors store looking for a new food bag. I was staring at the bear canisters, wondering if I should bite the bullet and grab one. Instead , I figured it was far more likely that a rodent would get to my food while it was laying about, so I grabbed a nice rodent bag. Should have spent the extra ten bucks to get a canister.
    I hate carrying canisters, but I own 3. They do double as a seat, so that is nice.

My annual trip is in 2 weeks to northern yosemite. Can't wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

I hate carrying canisters, but I own 3. They do double as a seat, so that is nice.

My annual trip is in 2 weeks to northern yosemite. Can't wait.
      Which brand do you like? I think my local shop here carries Bear Vault.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post

Which brand do you like? I think my local shop here carries Bear Vault.
        I have a big BearVault (BV), a small BV and a really old Garcia.

I really like the BV except for the safety latch thingy. It is kind of like a child proof part on prescription bottles. When it is cold I find it really hard to get it open. Maybe they have fixed that.

The one I really want is the Bearikade. It is made of carbon fiber, but it super pricey. https://www.wild-ideas.net/expedition/

If anyone is looking for a present for my birthday next month, I'd happily take that.

Here is my big BV. I like that you can find stuff easily.

ocSO9in.jpg

Comment

I have a big BearVault (BV), a small BV and a really old Garcia.

I really like the BV except for the safety latch thingy. It is kind of like a child proof part on prescription bottles. When it is cold I find it really hard to get it open. Maybe they have fixed that.

The one I really want is the Bearikade. It is made of carbon fiber, but it super pricey. https://www.wild-ideas.net/expedition/

If anyone is looking for a present for my birthday next month, I'd happily take that.

Here is my big BV. I like that you can find stuff easily.

ocSO9in.jpg
          Yip. The BearVault can be a bear to open, especially in the cold.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Looks like that can be rented for $5 per day plus $12 shipping. https://www.wild-ideas.net/rent/
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• heading out for a 6 day trip in the morning through northern Yosemite. Going to explore some remote canyons (stubblefield and spiller). Should be fun. Hoping or no broken bones this time.

Comment

heading out for a 6 day trip in the morning through northern Yosemite. Going to explore some remote canyons (stubblefield and spiller). Should be fun. Hoping or no broken bones this time.
                Good luck.
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Trinity Alps Wilderness area is now closed until November due to the extreme fire danger. There are several fires burning on the outskirts of the area, essentially closing off two of the main veins into the heart of the Alps. Makes sense that they would close the entire Wilderness so as to prevent people from getting stuck in there if the fires go sideways. But it seems a little excessive to put a blanket closure on the area until that late in the year.

A bit of a bummer. I was hoping to try to sneak in one more trip to the area in September. There are some other good options for backpacking, near here but none are quite as exciting to me.

Comment

heading out for a 6 day trip in the morning through northern Yosemite. Going to explore some remote canyons (stubblefield and spiller). Should be fun. Hoping or no broken bones this time.
                    Watch your step!
                    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post

Watch your step!
                      I did. No broken bones.

Northern Yo-semite is awesome. We spent a lot of time off trail in some amazing canyons. Wonderful. I'll put together a route map and some pictures when I get them collected.

Comment

Working...
                      X