No announcement yet.

The Golf Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really enjoyed playing Tuscany when I was in Vegas last week. Actually, let me backtrack; it was a fun course, but I had almost zero enjoyment spraying the ball over the course, having balls ricochet off curbs towards my head, seeing balls land on rooftops, playing in whatever material they put in the bunkers (it certainly was not typical sand). However, a very nice course with range balls, breakfast, and lunch included in the $60 green fee, seemed like a bargain by Vegas standards.

Comment

• So to report...

We played in the SCGA qualifier and did horrible. DT shot a 101 and I shot a 109. Worst score in 5 years for me. I put 7 in the water.

One of the hardest courses I have played on. Tight and lots of undulation.

On the brighter side...

We won our Team Play match and as a team we won 25-23. We sealed the deal on the 18th green for our team to advance to the round of 8. We are playing on Saturday at a extremely exclusive Country Club in Santa Barbara. Birnam Woods.

Loving the competions.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
        So to report...

We played in the SCGA qualifier and did horrible. DT shot a 101.
        Full disclosure....my 101 got me 4th place in our tier at that course. It was extremely difficult and the greens were rolling a 13. I played better than my score indicates. I had 5 pars and a birdie, 4 bogeys. My issue is I carded a 12 on hole 4 and basically took myself out if the match. If I bogey the hole, I card a 95 and I get second and move on to the championship. Sad thing is I worked my way back to bogey golf and threw it away on the last 4 holes. 3 balls ob and an unplayable lie.

It was a good time though.
        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• We lost. We are out of the running.

A really enjoyable experience. Loved the competition and hope that I get selected to play on the team again next year.

I finished with a 5-2 record. My first loss was on the 17th hole, and my loss on Saturday was on the 18th hole. 3 of my 5 wins I didn't golf the last 5 holes. I did okay.

Saturday we played at Birnam Woods in Montecito. Country Club costs 85K to join and dues are $1500 a month. Extremely tight fairways, greens are firm and fast. I am a 1.95 average putter and I didn't 1 putt a single hole over two days.

So now I am back to golfing for fun. I am going to get fit for a new set of irons here in the next month or so and see if I can't get my game to the next level with some sticks designed specifically for me. I would like to get into the mid 80's consistantly by the end of the year.

I will let DT report on his round.

Overall an extremely enjoyable experience and something I would recommend that folks look into if they are so inclined.

Comment

• Originally posted by Y84it View Post
            Doing a golf trip to St George. 4 rounds of golf Friday and Saturday. Green Springs and Sky Mountain. Going with my Dad and Brothers. 22nd cant get here fast enough. I will return and report.
            When you stink at golf what makes you go back? Seriously, like a dog to his vomit! Green Springs kicked my booty! I don't know what I expected since I had not played in 6 months but it definatley was not a 119 and a 112.

Sky Mountain Saturday Morning was a lot better shot a 96. Although it was very windy and cold, I did find my swing. I ended my round with 3 straight pars. Which of course gets me itching to go out again. Golf!
            Last edited by Y84it; 03-25-2013, 10:17 AM.
            ( FYI I most likely wrote that incoherently and will be properly corrected forthwith. Thanks)

Comment

• Originally posted by Y84it View Post
              When you stink at golf what makes you go back? Seriously, like a dog to his vomit! Green Springs kicked my booty! I don't know what I expected since I had not played in 6 months but it definatley was not a 119 and a 112.

Sky Mountain Saturday Morning was a lot better shot a 96. Although it was very windy and cold, I did find my swing. I ended my round with 3 straight pars. Which of course gets me itching to go out again. Golf!
              Greensprings kicks my but every time. I don't know what it is, it's probably psychological at this point. But I don't think I'll pay to play there every again.

Comment

• I've played 4 times this year.

* Tuscany Golf Club: Nice course, great deal with breakfast and lunch included. I felt like I was playing ok, but went completely mental with my wedges- I felt better from 150 yards out, than I did 5 yards off the green. Plus, the dude I was playing with kept crushing his drives, and draining 20 foot putts; I was intimidated. All hell, and hail, broke loose on the last hole. The final damage was 101

* Boulder Creek: Decent little muni in Henderson NV. I drove the ball well, got over most of my short game yips, and carded an 88.

* Meadow Springs CC: By far the nicest and toughest course in the Tri-Cities. I was playing really well, and keeping pace with my buddy until #16, I finished: triple, single, triple for a 92.

* First full round at my home course. Play started on #10 today. My wedges were good (I chipped in once) and my putting was excellent <12 feet. I had one double on the front, after getting a bad bounce underneath a tree, and lipping out my bogey putt. Unfortunately, I choked on #18 (9th hole), and finished with a double bogey. Otherwise, it could have been a fantastic round. I did beat my friend (5 handicap) for the first time, in a a long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  Sand Hollow is beautiful. A pretty fun track and it is meticulously maintained. However, I think the red sand bunkers are a joke. It's a nice enough course that they should bring in some real bunker sand (and maybe they did for the Winter Classic). Anyway, if it's the red stuff and you're in the bunker, good luck. It's a lot heavier than normal sand, so you have to swing a lot harder to get the ball out.

Personally, I like the layout of Coral Canyon a bit better, but they are both fantastic courses. Either one of them would be $250 to play in California.

I agree about sand hollow after playing it. Fun, good condition course and will certainly be in the st. George rotation. But Coral Canyon is on another level, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    Sand Hollow is beautiful. A pretty fun track and it is meticulously maintained. However, I think the red sand bunkers are a joke. It's a nice enough course that they should bring in some real bunker sand (and maybe they did for the Winter Classic). Anyway, if it's the red stuff and you're in the bunker, good luck. It's a lot heavier than normal sand, so you have to swing a lot harder to get the ball out.

Personally, I like the layout of Coral Canyon a bit better, but they are both fantastic courses. Either one of them would be $250 to play in California.
                    The front nine at Sand Hollow didn't impress me much but the back is wild.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                      The front nine at Sand Hollow didn't impress me much but the back is wild.
                      Agree, the front nine while nice isn't a nine I would make sure I could play again. The back however was great. By the way if you go to EZlinks.com great deals at Sand Hollow pop up.

I threw down a 81 yesterday. 42-39. I love my new irons. I am hitting the ball 10 yards farther. I haven't been able to hit a 8 iron 155 yards for several years. Get to play today, then off to Vegas to watch the grandson play ball. In the tournament a couple of weeks ago they made it to the championship game. He hit it out of the park on a 14 year old diamond and the next at bats they walked him even with runners on base.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                        Get to play today, then off to Vegas to watch the grandson play ball. In the tournament a couple of weeks ago they made it to the championship game. He hit it out of the park on a 14 year old diamond and the next at bats they walked him even with runners on base.
                        What's that saying about the apple not falling far from the tree. My boys and I need to get out of the snow so we have a road trip to Thanksgiving Point this Saturday. They are excited to play again and the wife is excited to have some peace and quiet for a day or two so everybody is happy.

Comment

What's that saying about the apple not falling far from the tree. My boys and I need to get out of the snow so we have a road trip to Thanksgiving Point this Saturday. They are excited to play again and the wife is excited to have some peace and quiet for a day or two so everybody is happy.
                          The older I get the more I relish hanging out with my boys, especially on the golf course.

I think the grandson has gotten great coaching from his Dad and the other coach. I thought I was a pretty good 12 year old, but not as good as this kid is. However, he has probably played in more baseball games at age 12 than I did little league through college.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            The older I get the more I relish hanging out with my boys, especially on the golf course.

I think the grandson has gotten great coaching from his Dad and the other coach. I thought I was a pretty good 12 year old, but not as good as this kid is. However, he has probably played in more baseball games at age 12 than I did little league through college.
                            I agree, the times on the course with my sons is the best.

With baseball camps and spring leagues these kids play a lot of games. The one thing you don't see anymore are kids that just get together to play ball, it all seems so organized anymore.

Comment

I agree, the times on the course with my sons is the best.

With baseball camps and spring leagues these kids play a lot of games. The one thing you don't see anymore are kids that just get together to play ball, it all seems so organized anymore.
                              True, I will bet most kids have never heard of "over the line".

Comment

• So 71... tell us about your new sticks. And don't tell me they're Ping i20's.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X