Curbside Consult Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cougjunkie
    *Banned*
    • Nov 2008
    • 23223

    #16
    Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
    I was doing a low back lipoma excision today, which is maybe the easiest and least exciting general surgery out there. When I took the lipoma out, there was a bulb of fat left, which seemed to be coming from a deeper layer. I was able to palpate a small hole, and the next thing I know, my finger is in his pelvis. He had a lumbar hernia and I was seeing his retroperitoneal fat. Not a big deal to fix, but a good example of even the most simple-seeming case being more than you bargained for.
    No clue what this is but it sound disgusting.
    *Banned*

    Comment

    • doctorcoug
      To Win is to Honor Him
      • Jun 2009
      • 2273

      #17
      Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
      I was doing a low back lipoma excision today, which is maybe the easiest and least exciting general surgery out there. When I took the lipoma out, there was a bulb of fat left, which seemed to be coming from a deeper layer. I was able to palpate a small hole, and the next thing I know, my finger is in his pelvis. He had a lumbar hernia and I was seeing his retroperitoneal fat. Not a big deal to fix, but a good example of even the most simple-seeming case being more than you bargained for.
      Holy crap. That will keep you on your toes. Were you in clinic or the OR?
      "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

      "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

      Comment

      • ERCougar
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10978

        #18
        Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
        I was doing a low back lipoma excision today, which is maybe the easiest and least exciting general surgery out there. When I took the lipoma out, there was a bulb of fat left, which seemed to be coming from a deeper layer. I was able to palpate a small hole, and the next thing I know, my finger is in his pelvis. He had a lumbar hernia and I was seeing his retroperitoneal fat. Not a big deal to fix, but a good example of even the most simple-seeming case being more than you bargained for.
        So was the lipoma actually just retroperitoneal fat? That's crazy.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

        Comment

        • San Juan Sun
          Kicked to the curb
          • Dec 2009
          • 9214

          #19
          Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
          Holy crap. That will keep you on your toes. Were you in clinic or the OR?
          O to the R.

          Today's victims: two colonoscopies, one EGD, lumbar hernia repair, removal of foreign bodies from a skateboarders arm (four chunks of glass), and a needle localized breast biopsy.

          And all done by noon.
          "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

          - Ty Cobb

          Comment

          • San Juan Sun
            Kicked to the curb
            • Dec 2009
            • 9214

            #20
            Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            So was the lipoma actually just retroperitoneal fat? That's crazy.
            It was both. A well delineated lipoma adjacent to a possibly asymptomatic hernia.
            "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

            - Ty Cobb

            Comment

            • smokymountainrain
              Impressive Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22593

              #21
              I love this thread. I don't understand shit, but for some odd reason it's very entertaining.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

              Comment

              • San Juan Sun
                Kicked to the curb
                • Dec 2009
                • 9214

                #22
                86 yo female with rectal cancer, surgeon advocates for resection and adjuvant chemoradiation. Family thinks it will go away, and refuses any intervention or any follow up care.

                Patient is lost to follow up for 8 months.

                Family brings patient back, complaining that the rectal mass is now completely protruding out of the anus, and it bleeds frequently. They are upset, very upset, that nothing was done.

                Thankfully, the patient is pleasantly demented, and is still a candidate for palliative (but not curative) resection.
                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                - Ty Cobb

                Comment

                • doctorcoug
                  To Win is to Honor Him
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 2273

                  #23
                  Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                  86 yo female with rectal cancer, surgeon advocates for resection and adjuvant chemoradiation. Family thinks it will go away, and refuses any intervention or any follow up care.

                  Patient is lost to follow up for 8 months.

                  Family brings patient back, complaining that the rectal mass is now completely protruding out of the anus, and it bleeds frequently. They are upset, very upset, that nothing was done.

                  Thankfully, the patient is pleasantly demented, and is still a candidate for palliative (but not curative) resection.
                  Had a very similar issue today. Proves the importance of good documentation.
                  "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

                  "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

                  Comment

                  • CardiacCoug
                    вот так штука
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 11013

                    #24
                    Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                    Family brings patient back, complaining that the rectal mass is now completely protruding out of the anus, and it bleeds frequently. They are upset, very upset, that nothing was done.

                    Thankfully, the patient is pleasantly demented, and is still a candidate for palliative (but not curative) resection.
                    This is a big problem that we run into with very elderly people with heart issues too. You have family members who say, "Don't do anything, just let her die." And that would be a great option in a 90-year old if he/she were going to die. The problem is that they don't die -- they just linger on for months or even years in agony or with severe disability. You end up having to do something just to preserve quality of life to some degree even though obviously you won't extend life very much usually in a 90-year old no matter what you do.

                    Comment

                    • creekster
                      It is NOT a monkey!
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22661

                      #25
                      Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                      This is a big problem that we run into with very elderly people with heart issues too. You have family members who say, "Don't do anything, just let her die." And that would be a great option in a 90-year old if he/she were going to die. The problem is that they don't die -- they just linger on for months or even years in agony or with severe disability. You end up having to do something just to preserve quality of life to some degree even though obviously you won't extend life very much usually in a 90-year old no matter what you do.
                      The doctors tarsted telling my gradnmother this when she was 90. That was almost 9 years ago and she is still going strong. You never know.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                      Comment

                      • San Juan Sun
                        Kicked to the curb
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 9214

                        #26
                        From the "Interesting stuff I find in my patient's pockets" file:

                        A 30-something yo male just got shot in the leg. We routinely take off the patient's clothes to examine them, and put their stuff in a property bag. Sometimes we find interesting things. Tonight's haul:

                        a pocket Webter's dictionary
                        two condoms
                        three old baseball cards (Cal Ripken, Ivan Rodriguez, Nolan Ryan)

                        I'm not sure how to make sense of all this, and how he ended up getting shot, but it sure is interesting.
                        Last edited by San Juan Sun; 02-22-2012, 08:22 PM.
                        "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                        - Ty Cobb

                        Comment

                        • ERCougar
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10978

                          #27
                          Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                          From the "Interesting stuff I find in my patient's pockets" file:

                          A 30-something yo male just got shot in the leg. We routinely take off the patient's clothes to examine them, and put their stuff in a property bag. Sometimes we find interesting things. Tonight's haul:

                          a pocket Webter's dictionary
                          two condoms
                          three old baseball cards (Cal Ripken, Ivan Rodriguez, Nolan Ryan)

                          I'm not sure how to make sense of all this, and how he ended up getting shot, but it sure is interesting.
                          My first GSW as a resident. Young black male shot in the leg. Do the rectal and feel some little...crunchiness. I think it's just some dried crap, but it feels a little different. A little more investigation and I pull out a condom with little crack rocks in it. Yes...crack in his crack. Baboom....CHING!
                          At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                          Comment

                          • hostile
                            lollygagger
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 5736

                            #28
                            Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                            From the "Interesting stuff I find in my patient's pockets" file:

                            A 30-something yo male just got shot in the leg. We routinely take off the patient's clothes to examine them, and put their stuff in a property bag. Sometimes we find interesting things.
                            I remember rolling a trauma patient, GSW to the chest/abd and having his loaded 9mm slip out of his pocket and land on my foot.
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                            "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                            Comment

                            • smokymountainrain
                              Impressive Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22593

                              #29
                              Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                              My first GSW as a resident. Young black male shot in the leg. Do the rectal and feel some little...crunchiness. I think it's just some dried crap, but it feels a little different. A little more investigation and I pull out a condom with little crack rocks in it. Yes...crack in his crack. Baboom....CHING!
                              They don't pay you guys enough.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

                              Comment

                              • San Juan Sun
                                Kicked to the curb
                                • Dec 2009
                                • 9214

                                #30
                                Calling someone to tell them their spouse has died (very unexpectedly) is heartbreaking.

                                I could hear American Idol in the background as the spouse fumbled for words. And all I could think about was that one minute he was watching TV, and then the phone rings and his life is ripped apart.
                                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                                - Ty Cobb

                                Comment

                                Working...