Crossfit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wally View Post
    I am curious if any of the ER docs on here are noticing a bunch crossfit related injuries? seems like crossfit is the trendy new fitness craze and the fact that it incorporates powerlifting exercises has me wondering about it. Powerlifting is not the type of exercise that you just pick up and run with at age 35, unless you have the right body type for it. I would think there would be more risk of injury in taking up crossfit than taking up another fitness program.
    Crossfit doesn't stress powerlifting. They do very little bench press and certainly not much max effort. They do deadlift and squat as these are important for weightlifting lifts like clean and snatch. But newcomers don't try to max that often. I did crossfit for 3 years, and didn't see an unusual amount of injuries. A sport like basketball seems much more conducive to injuries to me. Crossfit seemed to alleviate my injuries like patellar tendonitis, lower back issues and foot arch issues. Shoulder injuries can be common though. It's a delicate joint.

When you say powerlifting, I think you mean weightlifting, as in olympic weightlifting. But I saw old dudes pick it up at well over 40 or 50 years and they didn't get injured. It doesn't require any specific body type. I would encourage old people to pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
      Crossfit doesn't stress powerlifting. They do very little bench press and certainly not much max effort. They do deadlift and squat as these are important for weightlifting lifts like clean and snatch. But newcomers don't try to max that often. I did crossfit for 3 years, and didn't see an unusual amount of injuries. A sport like basketball seems much more conducive to injuries to me. Crossfit seemed to alleviate my injuries like patellar tendonitis, lower back issues and foot arch issues. Shoulder injuries can be common though. It's a delicate joint.

When you say powerlifting, I think you mean weightlifting, as in olympic weightlifting. But I saw old dudes pick it up at well over 40 or 50 years and they didn't get injured. It doesn't require any specific body type. I would encourage old people to pick it up.
      Monday night there was an old guy doing these jumping snatches at the gym next to me when I was doing squats. He was scary. I hate when the crossfitters are in the gym doing Olympic lifts. I don't care for Olympic lifts at all and I think they're extremely dangerous for most people, including crossfitters. The closest I get are power cleans which I love.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        Monday night there was an old guy doing these jumping snatches at the gym next to me when I was doing squats. He was scary. I hate when the crossfitters are in the gym doing Olympic lifts. I don't care for Olympic lifts at all and I think they're extremely dangerous for most people, including crossfitters. The closest I get are power cleans which I love.
        Hmm. I don't know what a jumping snatch is. And you typically can't do Olympic lifts in a typical gym. But I don't think they are dangerous as you do. You just need to know how to bail. But you can't bail in a typical gym because they don't let you drop the weights and there's not enough room. People shouldn't do it if they aren't set up for it. All you can do in a Gold's would be training movements with very little weights.

Comment

I recommend googling different types of snatches to find out.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            I recommend googling different types of snatches to find out.
            LOL! Guttural, even.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              I've been dropping a lot of weight the last six months, but was stuck for almost a month at the same weight. I decided to start crossfit as a potential way to bust through my plateau (also, my former trainer up his prices, and it didn't make sense to pay $400 per month for 2x per week training). At any rate, I'm down 8 pounds in two weeks, which is the pace I was on when I first started my weight loss journey. In addition to crossfit, I run 2x per week (30 minute run/60 minute run). As of this morning I'm down 73 pounds and weigh about the same as I did when I graduated high school, although I'm 2 inches taller than I was back then.
              Great work GM!
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Hmm. I don't know what a jumping snatch is. And you typically can't do Olympic lifts in a typical gym. But I don't think they are dangerous as you do. You just need to know how to bail. But you can't bail in a typical gym because they don't let you drop the weights and there's not enough room. People shouldn't do it if they aren't set up for it. All you can do in a Gold's would be training movements with very little weights.
                I don't know what a jumping snatch is either but that is what this guy was doing. It was a snatch but as he was snatching the bar over his head he was jumping and would land in kind of a squat position with the bar above his head. If you go to gyms consistently enough you will see all sorts of weird things. My gym isn't typical. It's like the 24 Hour Fitness I used to go to in Utah on roids. A smoothie bar/cafe, 6 lane lap pool, swimming pool, splash park and two water slides, 3 racquetball courts, 2 full length basketball courts, big free weight area including a platform for Olympic lifts, etc. It has everything.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  Great work GM!
                  I agree. Pretty impressive.
                  "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Hey guys. Knock off the snatch talk or I am going to have to shut down this thread. TIA.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Hey guys. Knock off the snatch talk or I am going to have to shut down this thread. TIA.
                      Especially the talk about jumping snatches. That's just creepy.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        First day at the new gym we did thrusters and snatches. Try explaining that to your wife.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

You are correct, I did mean olympic lifting. I disagree that it does not require a particular body type. there is a reason that olympic lifters are typically squatty with a low center of gravity. I do agree that oly lifts are hell on the shoulders, this is one of the main reasons that I would think that older folks should stay away. One injury and you are screwed fitness-wise because your body doesn't heal as quickly. Also, my question was for doctors, sorry.

EXACTLY! whenever some gangly dude starts snatching at the gym I am afraid I am going to witness his arms detatch at the shoulders! Also I agree that power cleans are a totally fun exercise. I would stick with your crowd at the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                            First day at the new gym we did thrusters and snatches. Try explaining that to your wife.
                            Especially when she already freaks out at pictures of women in swimsuits.
                            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

I don't know what a jumping snatch is either but that is what this guy was doing. It was a snatch but as he was snatching the bar over his head he was jumping and would land in kind of a squat position with the bar above his head. If you go to gyms consistently enough you will see all sorts of weird things. My gym isn't typical. It's like the 24 Hour Fitness I used to go to in Utah on roids. A smoothie bar/cafe, 6 lane lap pool, swimming pool, splash park and two water slides, 3 racquetball courts, 2 full length basketball courts, big free weight area including a platform for Olympic lifts, etc. It has everything.
                              Wish there were a place like that in my town.

As for snatches, you are supposed to jump and land in a squat. Usually, you just have so much weight that you don't get more than a few inches off the ground.

Anyway, there are plenty of good snatches to talk about. We could talk about Brad Pitt's Snatch, for example. Who doesn't like Brad Pitt's Snatch?

I've gained nearly 40 lbs since I quit crossfitting a year ago due to a move. I'm still a believer.

Comment

I've been at it for a little over six weeks, and I still enjoy it quite a bit. That said, my weight loss has essentially stopped. I've lost 2 pounds in the last six weeks. I think there are a few reasons for this: 1. I am definitely gaining more muscle, and 2. I am burning fewer calories than I was running, swimming, etc. So, I woke up this morning, did crossfit, then went for a nice little run in the 'hood. Someone above mentioned that the lack of cardio is a flaw in crossfit, and I tend to agree.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X