Golf Thread for the Rest of Us.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • clackamascoug
    Banned
    • Dec 2009
    • 9709

    #1

    Golf Thread for the Rest of Us.

    I enjoy the golf talk here on CUF, but don't want to impede on an existing thread with its own history of participants. I propose a new golf thread that will load quicker and be more user friendly. Feel free to good nature rib, post scores, and brag about new equipment, and great golf shots.


    I played 18 today and shot a 44+43=87. I hadn't played for 3 weeks with a bulging disc, and the rust was really evident when I was 4 over after 3 holes, with the harder holes coming up - not good. The funny thing was I had about 5 birdie opportunities within 15 feet, but only made one of them. If not for the errant out of bounds shots on a couple of holes I would have fared much better.

    I switched out my Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue I-Mix shaft for a Grafalloy Epic shaft, and could not really tell much of a difference. I see a Fubuki I-Mix on Ebay for pretty cheap, I may end up buying that shaft and selling one of the others on ebay later. It's too bad a bunch of us don't play the Callaway I-Mix system, we could trade shafts like baseball cards.
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-11-2010, 07:50 PM.
  • cougjunkie
    *Banned*
    • Nov 2008
    • 23223

    #2
    DLTBGYD!
    *Banned*

    Comment

    • clackamascoug
      Banned
      • Dec 2009
      • 9709

      #3
      Played in the men's clubs today. Sunny weather, but the course is still a little soggy from lots of rain lately. Shot a 41+40=81 Was 4 over on the back, but took an 8 on the par 4 10th. (oot of boons) My two birdies canceled my two other bogie's, so my quad bogey stood alone. On the front I had three 3 putts.

      I gotta break this coulda-woulda-shoulda golf and start scoring again.

      Shot of the day. Par 5 12th, second shot from 180 was 8 feet for an eagle. Missed of course, but after the quad, the tap in birdie seemed to bring me back to caring.

      One of my playing partners had 7 birdies on the day including 3 in a row, but was only able to post a 71. I enjoy playing with the better players, as it gives a good example of how not to over play/think your round. I always seem to do better when I put a relaxed swing into it, rather than a quick tempo swing too hard attempt, and this playing partners swing was under complete control all day.
      Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-12-2010, 05:19 PM.

      Comment

      • FN Phat
        I ♥ gateway sex
        • Feb 2009
        • 8691

        #4
        Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        DLTBGYD!
        [YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ivp355crWKM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ivp355crWKM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

        or

        [YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q6vZWJDshzc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q6vZWJDshzc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

        I'm your huckleberry.


        "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

        Comment

        • Drunk Tank
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 2569

          #5
          Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
          Played in the men's clubs today. Sunny weather, but the course is still a little soggy from lots of rain lately. Shot a 41+40=81 Was 4 over on the back, but took an 8 on the par 4 10th. (oot of boons) My two birdies canceled my two other bogie's, so my quad bogey stood alone. On the front I had three 3 putts.

          I gotta break this coulda-woulda-shoulda golf and start scoring again.

          Shot of the day. Par 5 12th, second shot from 180 was 8 feet for an eagle. Missed of course, but after the quad, the tap in birdie seemed to bring me back to caring.

          One of my playing partners had 7 birdies on the day including 3 in a row, but was only able to post a 71. I enjoy playing with the better players, as it gives a good example of how not to over play/think your round. I always seem to do better when I put a relaxed swing into it, rather than a quick tempo swing too hard attempt, and this playing partners swing was under complete control all day.
          I really enjoy playing golf with people who are much better than I am as you can learn a lot from their game. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen very often.
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

          Comment

          • clackamascoug
            Banned
            • Dec 2009
            • 9709

            #6
            Heart-aching drama today for Robert Garrigas. 3 shot lead going into 18. Announcers are talking about the life changing effects for the win, including full participation on the PGA Tour, invite to The Masters. They mention his hard life, and enduring the challenges of making it on the tour, and they tell him through the TV, just hit it right of the water...

            Splash. Hard Pull. Chip across lake to the fairway, ending with a 2 putt for a triple bogie and a place in the playoff. Play off drive with a 3 wood goes 340 and is totally handcuffed behind a tree. Chips out, then hits to 12 feet, and lips a good putt for third. Just Tragic.

            If those series of events would have happened to me, I would have wept like a baby with my interview with Ferhety. To Garrigus' credit he said all the right things, and acted like a champ.

            (Great TV drama though for a otherwise boring tournament.)
            Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-13-2010, 05:01 PM.

            Comment

            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
              Time to camp
              • Nov 2008
              • 26082

              #7
              With the disclaimer that I love golf, A) I am wondering why we need another golf thread? and 2) Who are "the rest of us"?
              Last edited by HuskyFreeNorthwest; 06-13-2010, 07:47 PM.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

              Comment

              • clackamascoug
                Banned
                • Dec 2009
                • 9709

                #8
                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                With the disclaimer that I love golf, A) I am wondering why we need another golf thread? and 2) Who are "the rest of us"?
                No, not at all, everyones welcome. Especially the guys that like to talk shop, and enjoy good natured ribbing.
                Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-13-2010, 07:50 PM.

                Comment

                • Drunk Tank
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2009
                  • 2569

                  #9
                  Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  With the disclaimer that I love golf, A) I am wondering why we need another golf thread? and 2) Who are "the rest of us"?

                  Ditto
                  "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                  Comment

                  • chrisrenrut
                    Strikes and Gutters
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 2298

                    #10
                    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    With the disclaimer that I love golf, A) I am wondering why we need another golf thread? and 2) Who are "the rest of us"?
                    I'm guessing it has to do with this exchange:

                    Comment

                    • clackamascoug
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 9709

                      #11
                      Golf is big enough for more than one thread. Please don't stir things up.

                      Comment

                      • chrisrenrut
                        Strikes and Gutters
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 2298

                        #12
                        Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        Golf is big enough for more than one thread. Please don't stir things up.
                        I apologize, I didn't respond to try and stir things up. When I saw you started a new golf thread with "the rest of us" in the title, my first thought was that you didn't feel welcome in the previous thread as a result of that exchange. I was just offering what I thought might be an answer to the questions being asked. If I am way off base, I apologize.

                        I'm all for having multiple golf threads. There is so much that can be discussed, equipment, courses played, on course anecdotes, etc.

                        Comment

                        • The_Tick
                          Made something of myself
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 7294

                          #13
                          Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                          Golf is big enough for more than one thread. Please don't stir things up.
                          But you have done your own bit of stirring things up since coming over here, so I find it midly interesting that you are asking folks not to.

                          I will say that I am bothered by the title of this thread.

                          What was intended by the phrase "for the rest of us"?

                          I shoot mid 90's... is this thread only good for the high 70's, low 80's golfers? Because there will be only 3-4 of you posting in it.

                          But please...don't stir things up.

                          Comment

                          • FMCoug
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 6825

                            #14
                            Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                            But you have done your own bit of stirring things up since coming over here, so I find it midly interesting that you are asking folks not to.

                            I will say that I am bothered by the title of this thread.

                            What was intended by the phrase "for the rest of us"?

                            I shoot mid 90's... is this thread only good for the high 70's, low 80's golfers? Because there will be only 3-4 of you posting in it.

                            But please...don't stir things up.
                            Maybe "the rest of us" refers to people who carry their clubs around in fine German automobiles.
                            "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #15
                              The rest of us are offended by the title of this thread.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              Working...