Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

Same here.

What are the ages? I understand Brighton has some fantastic rates for kids.
    We have Ikon Base Passes for everyone, so no additional cost for lift tickets at any of the listed resorts. Three school-aged children and one adult.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post

We have Ikon Base Passes for everyone, so no additional cost for lift tickets at any of the listed resorts. Three school-aged children and one adult.
      Got it.

Solitude is the other one we did a lot as I grew up. Very similar to Brighton in terms of terrain type, expertise, etc. Between those two you couldn't go wrong. (Probably true of Snowbird too, but I'm less familiar with it.)
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

If some beginning skiers were to choose between some combination of Brighton, Solitude and Snowbird over two or three days in December, what would you choose and why?
        Beginning skiers? Just go to Brighton. You'll pay less and get the same value. I would 10/10 times pick Snowbird under any other circumstances, though.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

If some beginning skiers were to choose between some combination of Brighton, Solitude and Snowbird over two or three days in December, what would you choose and why?
          I'd go to Brighton my first day, they have a couple of runs that are perfect for beginners. Second day I would go to Solitude just because it's a little better hill than Brighton and I would stay away from Snowbird. It's been a long time since I skied it but I remember it's a tough hill.

Comment

When are you coming up to Mammoth?

Comment

• Snowbird is not for rookies - Alta has a really nice beginner run though - that slopes down the mountain at an easy controllable pace.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                Snowbird is not for rookies - Alta has a really nice beginner run though - that slopes down the mountain at an easy controllable pace.
                https://youtu.be/PZapNgIrO5M

This is a good video that talks about Snowbird and it's beginner area.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

What did you end up doing and how was the weekend?
                  We went to Big Sky and it was fabulous. Big Sky's skiing infrastructure is the best I have seen. We skied out of the main base area riding the SwiftCurrent and Ramcatcher lifts-and they made anything I usually ride at Park City/Canyons look like Watts-and I am talking summer of 1968 Watts. The lodges were not as nice as Sun Valley but they were as good as PC. They had record early season snow-just like Grand Targhee, so it was a fabulous Thanksgiving week day. Most I visited with who are locals or ski there exclusively said it was the best opening week they had ever seen. Apparently, Big Sky can be as rocky early season as Targhee but I think I might have seen a couple of baby pines sticking up through the snow. It was fabulous conditions and the drive there from Island Park was like the introductions of a thousand Hallmark Christmas movies!

Our boys and girls play in Carey's Holiday Tournament this Friday and Saturday (teams are Rockland, Salmon, Wood River and Carey) so I was considering spending the morning at Sun Valley but alas the snow will not allow me to get there early enough to ski up there Friday morning. Next opportunity to ski will be mid December down at PC.

To anyone who likes skiing take RC's advice and hit up Big Sky-lots of terrain and the amenities are a bit of another world. Listen to this man, people!
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Good stuff, everyone. Thanks for the thoughts.

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

When are you coming up to Mammoth?
                    Hopefully in January. Fingers crossed.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

https://youtu.be/PZapNgIrO5M

This is a good video that talks about Snowbird and it's beginner area.
                      Ha ha. I heard the term “laughable” in there. Maybe we’ll save Snowbird for another season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

We went to Big Sky and it was fabulous. Big Sky's skiing infrastructure is the best I have seen. We skied out of the main base area riding the SwiftCurrent and Ramcatcher lifts-and they made anything I usually ride at Park City/Canyons look like Watts-and I am talking summer of 1968 Watts. The lodges were not as nice as Sun Valley but they were as good as PC. They had record early season snow-just like Grand Targhee, so it was a fabulous Thanksgiving week day. Most I visited with who are locals or ski there exclusively said it was the best opening week they had ever seen. Apparently, Big Sky can be as rocky early season as Targhee but I think I might have seen a couple of baby pines sticking up through the snow. It was fabulous conditions and the drive there from Island Park was like the introductions of a thousand Hallmark Christmas movies!

Our boys and girls play in Carey's Holiday Tournament this Friday and Saturday (teams are Rockland, Salmon, Wood River and Carey) so I was considering spending the morning at Sun Valley but alas the snow will not allow me to get there early enough to ski up there Friday morning. Next opportunity to ski will be mid December down at PC.

To anyone who likes skiing take RC's advice and hit up Big Sky-lots of terrain and the amenities are a bit of another world. Listen to this man, people!
                        My brother in law grew up in Tahoe, skiing at Squaw Valley and Alpine 5-10 days per month during season. He and his family take a week long trip to Big Sky every winter. They love it there!

Comment

• We had a change of plans in December and missed Solitude/Brighton/Snowbird. I will say that the adaptive skiing folks who work with Snowbird are awesome, and we hope to get in a make-up trip at some point.

I did go up to Sundance from Provo for a solo day visit early in our trip. What a blast. Everything from renting skis at BYU Outdoors Unlimited to driving less than 15 minutes to be at the resort to enjoying the beautiful scenery and small crowds was wonderful.

I’m looking to go local this weekend. It’s warm, but there has been a lot of precipitation. Maybe we’ll get up closer to BP sometime in the next several weeks.

Comment

We had a change of plans in December and missed Solitude/Brighton/Snowbird. I will say that the adaptive skiing folks who work with Snowbird are awesome, and we hope to get in a make-up trip at some point.

I did go up to Sundance from Provo for a solo day visit early in our trip. What a blast. Everything from renting skis at BYU Outdoors Unlimited to driving less than 15 minutes to be at the resort to enjoying the beautiful scenery and small crowds was wonderful.

I’m looking to go local this weekend. It’s warm, but there has been a lot of precipitation. Maybe we’ll get up closer to BP sometime in the next several weeks.
                            wasatch adaptive sports? they are very good people and it is a cause worthy of financial support
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post

wasatch adaptive sports? they are very good people and it is a cause worthy of financial support
                              Yes, that‘a the one. They were great in our interactions.

Comment

• Saturday at Big Sky was about as good as it gets, high 20's most of the day, good snow and a great mountain.

Comment

Working...
                                X