No announcement yet.

Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really wish it would stop snowing. It is starting to make me really angry, we got more than 8" in the last 12 hours. Lame, where was this in January.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      I really wish it would stop snowing. It is starting to make me really angry, we got more than 8" in the last 12 hours. Lame, where was this in January.
      No kidding. I've brought my youngest and his friends up to Tahoe for some spring skiing, and they had to bail midday due to high winds and heavy snow.

Comment

Ski deals in Utah

I saw on the news last night that the resorts are set to open this week and next. Woohoo! Brighton opens this Friday, I believe. Alta opens on the 19th.

I wasn't expecting an opening this early so I dont have any of my stuff. Any good deals on ski rentals in the valley? What about lift tickets? Also, rental packages for the season?

I am not a Big Cottonwood fan. I dont mind it, but I much prefer Little Cottonwood or Park City. However, I have been researching and it looks like Brighton has the best deals for chilluns....you ski free if you are 7 and under. That is great if you have 3 little Puffies that are turning 6 and may or may not enjoy being outside all day. Also, Brighton sells a book of 10 tickets that can be used by anyone, so maybe I will do that.

Any suggestions? Anyone else here a skiing/boarding enthusiast?
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

There was a good ski thread in The Gym last year. Brighton is a great place, I both learned to ski and worked there post mish.

It is going to be a huge snow year it in the PNW it looks like. I'm crossing 3 new places off the list this year White Pass, Steven's Pass and Mt. Baker.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

I got the $20 pass from Warren Miller to the canyons and a 2 for 1 from BYU to the Bird so far.... not sure what else I'm doing this year.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I learned to ski at Alta. I know their little rope tow hill is free all the time, and that kids ski free after 3:00 every day. Ski rentals after 2:00 are $8.
              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

There was a good ski thread in The Gym last year. Brighton is a great place, I both learned to ski and worked there post mish.

It is going to be a huge snow year it in the PNW it looks like. I'm crossing 3 new places off the list this year White Pass, Steven's Pass and Mt. Baker.
                you riding the bike? do they even allow bikes at Utah resorts?

I have had a personal breakthrough. There is nothing I can do about this weather. I cannot stop the snow. Therefore, let it snow as much as possible and I will use that to my advantage.

I look forward to several visits up the canyon. In fact, I can feel a sick day coming on right now...

sigpic

Comment

I learned to ski at the old Park West. I miss that place.

Comment

I have no current information, but that won't stop me from commenting.

Like you, I prefer Little to Big Cottonwood, but when I was a freshman at BYU, Both Solitude and Brighton offered $5 lift tickets on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Granted, this was quite a while ago, but $5 was still a very good price. The guys who lived in the room next to me at DT were from Sandy. On very many Monday and Wednesday nights that year we went up, slept at one of their houses, and went skiing the next day. That was a blast.

My grades in my Tuesday-Thursday classes were not good that Winter Semester.

Comment

Do your kids ski already? Do you know if they enjoy it?

Personally, I like Snowbird, Alta, and Solitude but it's been years since I've skied any of them. Brighton has nice terrain, and their night skiing is good, but I never liked the place all that much.

If it were me, I'd make sure the puffy check like it (a lot) and then I'd get a family season pass to their favorite place and hit it every weekend and holiday.
                      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Here y'go: https://www.cougarstadium.com/node/18795
                        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                          Do your kids ski already? Do you know if they enjoy it?

Personally, I like Snowbird, Alta, and Solitude but it's been years since I've skied any of them. Brighton has nice terrain, and their night skiing is good, but I never liked the place all that much.

If it were me, I'd make sure the puffy check like it (a lot) and then I'd get a family season pass to their favorite place and hit it every weekend and holiday.
                          I agree with you on all counts.

no they dont ski yet. this is the year we launch. In researching the resorts, Brighton seems to be the best deal for bambini (that is Italian for "small children"...NOT bambinos...I hate that!). They ski free all day. If they dont enjoy it, then none of this matters. But if they do enjoy it, Brighton seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Brighton is my least fave of the 4 Cottonwood resorts, but it also has the most snowboard vibe to it, which I do not enjoy very much. Alta is heaven for me. I also love PCMR.

I see it this way: a season at Brighton is way better than not skiing at all, so I am not complaining.

KC, thanks for the heads up. I forgot about the tow rope at Alta. That thing is a glove killer, though. Do they have a t-bar, too?

Does anyone know where to get a good deal on rentals?

sigpic

Comment

Bump. DDD's thread and HFN's post there reminded me to bring this thread back.

I am really looking forward to ski season! Here in Boise it is still pretty warm so it is difficult to imagine that ski season is at hand.

I was at a CLE at Sun Valley a couple of weeks ago and it was fun to walk around a ski town with a lot of cool history. I might try to go skiing up there this winter.

My job and young children make it difficult to do too much skiing, but for sure I will making trips to Park City and Whistler this winter. Hopefully I'll be able to become more familiar with the mountains around Boise as well. I'll probably do at least some skiing at Targhee or Jackson with my parents/siblings.
                            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
                              Mods...I wouldnt mind if one of you kindly merged this thread with the already-existing Ski thread.

One ski thread is probably plenty.

sigpic

Comment

DDD when did you pick up skiing? I'm assuming you didn't do too much growing up in Cali (or is it Calli?). I use to ski 3-4 times a week. I miss those days.

Comment

Working...
                                X