Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
    Time to camp
    • Nov 2008
    • 26082

    #661
    70" base with more snow in the forecast! 100" is possible by the first of the year.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

    Comment

    • hostile
      lollygagger
      • Dec 2009
      • 5736

      #662
      Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      70" base with more snow in the forecast! 100" is possible by the first of the year.
      Don't take you're foot off the gas pedal, El Niño!
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

      "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

      Comment

      • Goatnapper'96
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10924

        #663
        Originally posted by hostile View Post
        Up at snowbird for the next 2 nights and it is coming down hard.
        I was at the Canyons/PC from Friday-Tuesday. Monday and Tuesday were insane. Vail isn't winning friends though. I understand they are struggling to hire enough lift operators and are going much slower than I recall it going in the past in getting terrain open at the Canyons.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

        I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

        Comment

        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
          Time to camp
          • Nov 2008
          • 26082

          #664
          First and last runs of 2015 last night. Hopefully 2016 is a better year.
          image.jpg
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

          Comment

          • Northwestcoug
            Cocked and Loaded
            • May 2011
            • 18039

            #665
            Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            First and last runs of 2015 last night. Hopefully 2016 is a better year.
            [ATTACH]6593[/ATTACH]
            We were up there the day after Christmas. Wonderful weather, fresh snow. Busy, but not as crowded as I was expecting. One of the best days I've had there.

            Here's hoping for a great season!
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

            Comment

            • RC Vikings
              Known Heterosexual
              • Nov 2008
              • 8789

              #666
              Bill Johnson has died. I guess he had an amazing ability to ride a flat ski and glide which made the Sarajevo downhill perfect for him. Not many have faded away so quickly after burning so bright.

              Comment

              • RC Vikings
                Known Heterosexual
                • Nov 2008
                • 8789

                #667
                I participated in my first ever x-country race Saturday. I'm slow but I really enjoy it, it's a beautiful sport. Here are some pictures from the race. The 10km freestyle race starts at about 2:35.

                Trails are groomed and maintained by volunteers who love nordic skiing for members of our community to enjoy in partnership with the City of Rexburg. Please no walking, biking or dogs on any trails.

                Comment

                • Blueintheface
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 15382

                  #668
                  Snow eats farts
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                  "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                  Comment

                  • Goatnapper'96
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10924

                    #669
                    First time up will be week from Friday. Canyons is scheduled to have Tombstone and Orange Bubble Express areas open by then. I doubt they have Dreamscape and Dreamcatcher going but most of the middle will be up and running and it will be a blast. Likely to get another foot or more of snow between now and then as well! POW!
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

                    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

                    Comment

                    • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                      Time to camp
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 26082

                      #670
                      Gorgeous day on the mountain, haven't seen NWC today though.

                      IMG_3587.jpgIMG_3597.jpg
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

                      Comment

                      • Northwestcoug
                        Cocked and Loaded
                        • May 2011
                        • 18039

                        #671
                        Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        Gorgeous day on the mountain, haven't seen NWC today though.

                        [ATTACH]7727[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7728[/ATTACH]
                        I wish we were up there yesterday. Instead, we spent the whole day on a competing ski mountain for my son's Nordic ski meet. No skiing, just supportive parenting

                        We sort of partook of your fine conditions today, though. We just got back from the Autobahn. Great day!
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

                        Comment

                        • RC Vikings
                          Known Heterosexual
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 8789

                          #672
                          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          I wish we were up there yesterday. Instead, we spent the whole day on a competing ski mountain for my son's Nordic ski meet. No skiing, just supportive parenting

                          We sort of partook of your fine conditions today, though. We just got back from the Autobahn. Great day!
                          How big is the Nordic youth program in your area? We have a high school club team and more and more adults are taking it up. Out of everything I do it's always the best workout I get during the year.

                          Comment

                          • Northwestcoug
                            Cocked and Loaded
                            • May 2011
                            • 18039

                            #673
                            Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                            How big is the Nordic youth program in your area? We have a high school club team and more and more adults are taking it up. Out of everything I do it's always the best workout I get during the year.
                            It's pretty big here. We have two mountains within an hour here. There have been meets every other week for the last couple of months, and we're getting schools all over from western Oregon. Last night we were up at HFNW's place for a night race. My boy and a few others skied shirtless, because that's apparently what crazy teenagers do...

                            We just took nordic lessons this year and I liked it. It is a crazy good workout. It's all part of my retirement plan. When I get too old to snowboard, I'm going to transition in nordic skiing.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

                            Comment

                            • BrutusBuckeye
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2011
                              • 212

                              #674
                              Bachelor has a great system of trails for nordic skiing. Skate skiing is probably the best workout I've ever done. I did an 8k as part of the Pole Pedal Paddle and I was completely exhausted afterwards.
                              When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

                              Comment

                              • BrutusBuckeye
                                Senior Member
                                • Mar 2011
                                • 212

                                #675
                                Yesterday, I played hooky with my two youngest and we held Primary up at Brighton. It was sunny and cold in the morning and I was worried it wasn't such a good idea to take them because they were complaining of the cold and we had to warm up in the lodge after only a couple of runs. After a couple of hours it warmed up quite a bit and we had a great time. I got my four-year old up on Snake Creek and Crest and he killed it. He didn't turn quite as much as I wanted him to, but he never once needed me to slow him down.

                                There have been some awesome powder days this year, but yesterday will likely be the day I remember most fondly.
                                When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

                                Comment

                                Working...