70 and sunny today! Only 97" away from 100" base.
Steep and Deep: The Snow Skiing/Boarding Thread
Collapse
X
-
-
-
Yes - Foghee is pretty bad sometimes for visibility. You're usually good heading off the south side of the run at the top of Dreamcatcher and then sticking to Sacajawea. Even w the fog you can find a good set of runs."I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"
Comment
-
-
When viability is zero up on the hill over by the trees on the Blackfoot lift is the best place to ski. Crazy Horse is still my favorite run but it's tough over there when the light is flat. It's a brutally cold place but if you love skiing the deep stuff I'm not sure you can do better without a helicopter.Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View PostTarghee was rocked out a bit but still a great place to ski. It gets a ton of snow and the snow stays forever. I have a newfound respect for RC Viking. The temperature difference between where I live and that part of the world is even bigger than the delta between the Wasatch Front and my neighborhood. It is colder than a witches tit in a cast iron bra up there. My 12 year old said that it would be a cold day in hell before she considered school up that way. Rexburg still has about a foot of snow in the fields, enough to snowmobile at will in every farmers field, and this is in the middle of one of the warmest January's I can remember.
Targhee has great runs and not a lot of people. It is unbelievably cold and the fog was thicker than ugly homemade tatoos in a British Council Housing area. The runs are also very poorly marked. It appears to me that if you go there and there is fog, which I think happens almost every day, go to the Sacejewa lift. It looked like the fog on that mountain is usually higher than where the lift drops you up top. I had my 6 year old in a lesson in the fun zone so I wanted to stick around and use the main lift from the base area. Our first run up was so foggy and with the crappy marked mountain we ended up in the natural halfpipe made where the two fall lines off of Fred's collide. I think they call it "Women's Waistline" or something like that. It scared one of my 10 yr olds as it was steep and you had no choice but to "rock'n'roll" it from fall line to fall line. She got scared and then I got frustrated because I knew if I could ski it she could as she is better than I and waiting for her to powerslide her way to the bottom was not my idea of fun. We couldn't see with our goggles so we put them up and then without the heat coming off our face to keep them warm they would ice over once we dropped below the fog and could see wearing the goggles. It got really nice in the afternoon once the fog burned off.
Still even with the crappy January it has been there are amazing snow amounts up that way. The Huckleberry Ice Cream at the Drug Store on the SW corner of the intersection between Ski Hill Road and the Highway was divine. Totally recommend the Huckleberry Ice Cream. In fact if you go just for the Huckleberry Ice Cream it is probably worth it.
Someday I will live somewhere I only have to wear shorts and flip flops.
Comment
-
The snow certainly hasn't been great, but there are still some fun areas at Brighton. While waiting in line last week, I was in front of a guy I thought looked very familiar when he took his goggles off for a moment. Finally I realized it was Haloti Ngata. We chatted for a minute or two--he's a very nice guy. We were in the same ward when I was in Eugene, but he didn't remember me. Not surprising, as I think he only came to church when his mom was in town.When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton
Comment
-
I had an amazing time at Whistler last week. Its reputation preceded it and it did not disappoint at all. If I only go once a year that's where I'm going from now on- sorry, Snowbird and Jackson Hole.
I posted this earlier in another thread, but found that this is the appropriate venue. After hearing how terrible conditions were this year I get treated to this: 
"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"
Comment
-
We love Whistler. Definitely worth the drive (from here anyway). Glad you had a good time!You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski
Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst
Comment
-
Whistler is amazing. Massive resort. I'm a little confused though. Why would you be surprised that a resort maybe 100 miles north of the Canadian border would have more snow than resorts that are 400-650 miles south of the Canadian border??Fitter. Happier. More Productive.
sigpic
Comment
-
Sweet triple, don't be confused. I was hearing reports of terrible conditions at Whistler. Granted, the lower third of the mountain was closed, but it was still better riding than anywhere else on a good year.Originally posted by TripletDaddy View PostWhistler is amazing. Massive resort. I'm a little confused though. Why would you be surprised that a resort maybe 100 miles north of the Canadian border would have more snow than resorts that are 400-650 miles south of the Canadian border??"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"
Comment
-
The only thing that has salvaged this winter in my opinion is skiing with my kids. This year would have been a huge disappointment because of the poor snow, but I won't remember it that way because I had a blast skiing with my kids.Originally posted by Lost Student View PostI love skiing with my kids.When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton
Comment
-
Not since Lou Diamond Phillips in "La Bamba" has espanol tickled my fancy:
Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
-General George S. Patton
I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
-DOCTOR Wuap
Comment
-
Realizing how a desk job and only once-per-week basketball has turned my physical form into a weak jelly-like mass, I determined that I need to step it up in the fitness area so I can make it down the mountain this winter and hopefully enjoy it more. I started this routine today:
http://www.backcountry.com/explore/t...-alpine-skiing
This program is supposed to take 4 weeks but seeing as how I couldn't even do 1/2 of the first day's session, it's good I have a lot more time than that. I think I'm going to be sore tomorrow.
I'm also going to do cardio (cycling on the trainer) on the off days.
What do you guys do to get fitness-ready for winter?"Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
"The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
"I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
"I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71
Comment
-
Eat chips and drink soda.Originally posted by Lost Student View Post.
What do you guys do to get fitness-ready for winter?"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
- Goatnapper'96
Comment
-
That's a really informative article! I had no idea about eccentric vs concentric workouts, although i will now focus on eccentric getting ready for the mountain. Weighted jump squats, lunges, lots of weighted calf raises and controlled drops.Originally posted by Lost Student View PostRealizing how a desk job and only once-per-week basketball has turned my physical form into a weak jelly-like mass, I determined that I need to step it up in the fitness area so I can make it down the mountain this winter and hopefully enjoy it more. I started this routine today:
http://www.backcountry.com/explore/t...-alpine-skiing
This program is supposed to take 4 weeks but seeing as how I couldn't even do 1/2 of the first day's session, it's good I have a lot more time than that. I think I'm going to be sore tomorrow.
I'm also going to do cardio (cycling on the trainer) on the off days.
What do you guys do to get fitness-ready for winter?"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"
Comment
Comment