The Tunes Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #1

    The Tunes Thread

    I am interested to know what other people listen to when they workout.

    I have a very specific set of music that I listen to when I am running, and for longer runs I have it in very specific places. For beginning and end, I need something fast and gnarly, like Metallica or Megadeth. But when I'm just grinding out the middle miles, I need something toned down a touch - I find that Smashing Pumpkins (and specifically the Siamese Dream era stuff) does the trick. But I don't go exclusively for metal/harder stuff - I have some Dire Straits, SRV, Peter Frampton and even Tori Amos for the middle as well.

    My powersong on the iPod thing is currently Cowboys from Hell. But I rotate that in and out as well so I have the benefit of having several powersongs along the way.

    For weightlifting, I am a thrash metal guy. The aforementioned Cowboys from Hell and Metallica's Disposable Heroes are my favorites. I need something that gets me a bit angry and intense for weightlifting - which is the same stuff I need at the beginning and end of runs. Smooth and controlled doesn't do it.

    This thread is now open for business.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.
  • Donuthole
    Official Outgayer
    • Nov 2008
    • 25276

    #2
    On a semi-related note, I wish there were a website where you could input your stride length and it would give you certain songs for your pace: i.e. these songs for an 8-minute mile, these songs for an 8:30 mile, these songs for a 7:30 mile, etc.

    I have several OCD tendencies, and one of them includes running at a different pace than the beat of the music to which i'm listening. I fight with it every time I run, and I think I would run more often if I could ever get it figtured out.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

    Comment

    • Pheidippides
      Liberal Feminazi
      • Nov 2008
      • 14759

      #3
      Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      On a semi-related note, I wish there were a website where you could input your stride length and it would give you certain songs for your pace: i.e. these songs for an 8-minute mile, these songs for an 8:30 mile, these songs for a 7:30 mile, etc.

      I have several OCD tendencies, and one of them includes running at a different pace than the beat of the music to which i'm listening. I fight with it every time I run, and I think I would run more often if I could ever get it figtured out.
      I do this with iTunes, which will tell you how long each song is. The real rub, though, is that most songs are 4-5 minutes in length, and finding an 8:30 song is a trick.

      Disposable Heroes is 8:17 and is the opening song on my marathon playlist. Money for Nothing is 8:30 or so and is in the middle somewhere (warning: it has anti-gay type slurs, which I didn't realize when I first heard it 20 years ago). ...And Justice for All is about 9:30, I think, as are Freebird and Green Grass and High Tides. Anything longer and you may as well just download In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

      Comment

      • Donuthole
        Official Outgayer
        • Nov 2008
        • 25276

        #4
        Originally posted by nikuman View Post
        I do this with iTunes, which will tell you how long each song is. The real rub, though, is that most songs are 4-5 minutes in length, and finding an 8:30 song is a trick.

        Disposable Heroes is 8:17 and is the opening song on my marathon playlist. Money for Nothing is 8:30 or so and is in the middle somewhere (warning: it has anti-gay type slurs, which I didn't realize when I first heard it 20 years ago). ...And Justice for All is about 9:30, I think, as are Freebird and Green Grass and High Tides. Anything longer and you may as well just download In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
        It wouldn't have to be a single song. I can get my stride on beat when the song changes. I'd just like to create groups of songs with the same pace. i.e. here are all my 8:00 mile songs, etc.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

        Comment

        • Pheidippides
          Liberal Feminazi
          • Nov 2008
          • 14759

          #5
          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          It wouldn't have to be a single song. I can get my stride on beat when the song changes. I'd just like to create groups of songs with the same pace. i.e. here are all my 8:00 mile songs, etc.
          I think that's much harder because stride length and speed varies from person to person. I don't match my pace to the beat anymore, but rather to my breathing and my garmin.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

          Comment

          • ERCougar
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 10978

            #6
            Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            I think that's much harder because stride length and speed varies from person to person. I don't match my pace to the beat anymore, but rather to my breathing and my garmin.
            I actually don't think it would be hard, and possibly even a good training tool. I've heard that an ideal pace is 90 steps/min for all speeds, with faster runners just taking larger paces. Coincidentally, this is nearly the same as the ideal CPR chest compression rate. There was a study where they had subjects hum "Staying Alive" in their head while they did CPR (on dummies) and found that this worked better than traditional methods (essentially telling them a rate...) to keep them close to this ideal rate.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

            Comment

            • Pheidippides
              Liberal Feminazi
              • Nov 2008
              • 14759

              #7
              Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
              There was a study where they had subjects hum "Staying Alive" in their head while they did CPR (on dummies) and found that this worked better than traditional methods (essentially telling them a rate...) to keep them close to this ideal rate.
              I heard about this on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. But I refuse to have disco on my playlist.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

              Comment

              • ewth8tr
                Reverend of Irreverence
                • Nov 2008
                • 2347

                #8
                I listen to a band named Snot. I've heard they got back together last year with a new singer, but I haven't heard the new stuff yet. They put out 1 album, named Get Some, back in 1998 and I saw them in concert with Suicidal Tendencies, then the singer died in a car accident a month or so later.

                "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

                Comment

                • thesaint258
                  aka Benito Hazard
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 3005

                  #9
                  I'm probably weird, but I downloaded tracks of drill sergeants calling cadence, and I like them a lot more than music. I'm not sure if it's because I added running to my workout in the hopes I'll get accepted to JAG or the fact that they're pretty much the same rhythm, but I liked my runs a lot more when I started running to a military cadence.
                  Not that, sickos.

                  Comment

                  • Hot Lunch
                    Out of Office
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 7842

                    #10
                    I have to be listening to Gangsta Rap or Hip Hop when I work out. Everything else bugs me when I run or lift.
                    "Take it to the Bank"

                    Comment

                    • ewth8tr
                      Reverend of Irreverence
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 2347

                      #11
                      Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
                      I'm probably weird, but I downloaded tracks of drill sergeants calling cadence, and I like them a lot more than music. I'm not sure if it's because I added running to my workout in the hopes I'll get accepted to JAG or the fact that they're pretty much the same rhythm, but I liked my runs a lot more when I started running to a military cadence.
                      You're right, that is weird.
                      "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

                      Comment

                      • BoylenOver
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 9146

                        #12
                        Nik, I like to listen to Killswitch Engage and Static-X when I run. Static-X is on the mellow side of metal, but Killswitch is pretty hard, and they probably have some lengthy songs. Slipknot is pretty good, too.
                        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                        Comment

                        • FMCoug
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 6825

                          #13
                          Before I can participate in this thread, we need a thread defining the various genres of music in a manner that is agreeable to everyone.
                          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 38003

                            #14
                            Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                            Before I can participate in this thread, we need a thread defining the various genres of music in a manner that is agreeable to everyone.
                            I don't know, FM, your signature is getting pretty lengthy already.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • Mr Incredible
                              Faded Pre-Madonna
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 826

                              #15
                              Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                              I do this with iTunes, which will tell you how long each song is. The real rub, though, is that most songs are 4-5 minutes in length, and finding an 8:30 song is a trick.

                              Disposable Heroes is 8:17 and is the opening song on my marathon playlist. Money for Nothing is 8:30 or so and is in the middle somewhere (warning: it has anti-gay type slurs, which I didn't realize when I first heard it 20 years ago). ...And Justice for All is about 9:30, I think, as are Freebird and Green Grass and High Tides. Anything longer and you may as well just download In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
                              Mr. Scary from Dokken's Beast From the East 8:23
                              The Root of All Evil - Dream Theater 8:26
                              Aurthur Rubinstein's performance of Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 8:27
                              Roundabout by Yes 8:33
                              Year to the Day by Van Halen 8:35
                              Rite of Passage by Dream Theater 8:36
                              Devin Townsend's version of Rush's Natural Science 8:39
                              Locomotive by GnR 8:42
                              The Killing Hand by Dream Theater 8:44
                              Opeth's Heir Apparent and Lotus Eater are both 8:50
                              Metallica's Call of Ktulu 8:54
                              Master of Puppets 8:55
                              Dark Eternal Night 8:54
                              November Rain 8:54
                              Release by Pearl Jam 9:06
                              Song for America by Kansas 9:09
                              Tin Pan Alley by SRV 9:12
                              La Villa Strangiato 9:36
                              This space is available.

                              Comment

                              Working...