No announcement yet.

General Upgrades & Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The nicest thing about the setup is that about 1/2 of them are empty.
    Over build. Buy more toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      What are you storing in that tall, narrow section on the right-hand side?
      Pipe clamps
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• My brother and sister-in-law appear to be on the verge of purchasing a home which means they will vacate our basement. That, in turn, means we will start our first upgrade project by redoing the basement bathroom, furnace area, and the basement floors.

General upgrade question: I'm almost positive we will switch to a tankless water heater as part of this project. Any recommendations besides just picking the highest capacity/highest rated at Home Depot?

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
          My brother and sister-in-law appear to be on the verge of purchasing a home which means they will vacate our basement. That, in turn, means we will start our first upgrade project by redoing the basement bathroom, furnace area, and the basement floors.

General upgrade question: I'm almost positive we will switch to a tankless water heater as part of this project. Any recommendations besides just picking the highest capacity/highest rated at Home Depot?
          I’m no expert on those things, but I know people that have them and know their complaints. If possible, I’d suggest finding a way to have the water recycle through when it’s not in use. That way it doesn’t take forever for hot water to get to the tap. The biggest complaint I’ve heard is it takes forever to get hot water.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I’m no expert on those things, but I know people that have them and know their complaints. If possible, I’d suggest finding a way to have the water recycle through when it’s not in use. That way it doesn’t take forever for hot water to get to the tap. The biggest complaint I’ve heard is it takes forever to get hot water.
            Hmmmm. I haven't heard that one. My current system takes a good 30 seconds for the water to warm up in the master upstairs if we have been gone all day so I can't imagine it being worse than that. We had a tankless heater in our NYC apartment and loved it, but that was for 900 sf.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

We got one about a year ago., a Rinnai, which seems to be popular. It works as advertised, and with four women in the house, it is nice to not have to worry about the temperature of the water.

We did not get a recirculator, and I am regretting it. The time it takes for hot water to get to the tap is probably 50% longer than it previously was. I'll be looking into them when I get a chance.

Comment

• we got talked out of one by a couple of plumbers. something about taking forever to fill a bathtub.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

We got one about a year ago., a Rinnai, which seems to be popular. It works as advertised, and with four women in the house, it is nice to not have to worry about the temperature of the water.

We did not get a recirculator, and I am regretting it. The time it takes for hot water to get to the tap is probably 50% longer than it previously was. I'll be looking into them when I get a chance.
                  Pretty similar for my family (7 of us). Its awesome to never worry about hot water. BTW the bathtub takes just as long as it always does.
                  "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• I looked into tankless a few years back when my water heater went out. I decided it was more hassle than it was worth. Instead, on the new water heater I turned-up the heat a little bit. I don't know if it's all just having hotter water, or if the new water heater is more efficient at heating the water, but since that last change, I've never run out of hot water or even had it cool off a little, and I take some long showers.

Now inline water heaters--that's what I really want to get. The problem is I'd have to do some rewiring to get 220 where I need it. Not worth the hassle.

Comment

• I had my water heaters replaced about three years ago. They are in my attic (typical for Houston) and one of them was clearly starting to go and the last thing I wanted was a leaking tank in my attic. I loooked at tankless water heaters but just couldn’t justify the cost and we also couldn’t put in a recirculator, which was a killer.

A Ward family had just put in a tankless and they said it took twice as long to got hot water. I figured that since we have two units for a total of 80 gallons and that we really only need hot water half the year because the rest of the time the water is warm enough just from the faucet, that a tankless just wasn’t worth it.

now, if I was building a home from scratch and could put in a decent recirculator, I’d likely put in a tankless. Maybe in my next home.

Comment

• We have a tankless without the recirculator. It might take a little longer to get hot water, but at this point it really didn't occur to me that it's taking longer. Which means it must not be longer enough to bother me. It was nice to be able to take a shower after my teenage daughter and still have hot water, for sure. It was more expensive - but we got a bit of a deal having it put in at the same time we were getting a water softener, which helped.

Comment

• I've spent the last few years watching entertainment on either phones, tablets, or computer monitors. So has my wife. My kids still watch the TV but I rarely do anymore. However, I've been experiencing some Arma and neck numbness that my rehab Dr says is the result of watching electronic devices with terrible posture. So I'm trying to watch more on the traditional TV. Our current "big" TV is only 45" and I've become more blind in the years since I watched it much. So I'm in the market for a new TV. But I'm a complete idiot on what to look for quality wise.

Our front room isn't very big (seating maybe 13 to 15 feet away from the TV) so I'm thinking anywhere from a 65" to a 75". I mostly watch streaming services (Netflix. HBOmax, YouTube TV) and would probably hook up the Switch docking station to it. My biggest pet peavey is wash out or fuzziness during dark scenes, but I've really only experienced this on a tablet. Do I need to be careful or are most modern TVs good for the most part?

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                            I've spent the last few years watching entertainment on either phones, tablets, or computer monitors. So has my wife. My kids still watch the TV but I rarely do anymore. However, I've been experiencing some Arma and neck numbness that my rehab Dr says is the result of watching electronic devices with terrible posture. So I'm trying to watch more on the traditional TV. Our current "big" TV is only 45" and I've become more blind in the years since I watched it much. So I'm in the market for a new TV. But I'm a complete idiot on what to look for quality wise.

Our front room isn't very big (seating maybe 13 to 15 feet away from the TV) so I'm thinking anywhere from a 65" to a 75". I mostly watch streaming services (Netflix. HBOmax, YouTube TV) and would probably hook up the Switch docking station to it. My biggest pet peavey is wash out or fuzziness during dark scenes, but I've really only experienced this on a tablet. Do I need to be careful or are most modern TVs good for the most part?
                            Get an LG OLED and you shouldn’t have any problems with dark washout. I would go as big as possible. You won’t regret it. I have 86” (sofa back is 15 feet from the screen) and it’s awesome.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              Get an LG OLED and you shouldn’t have any problems with dark washout. I would go as big as possible. You won’t regret it. I have 86” (sofa back is 15 feet from the screen) and it’s awesome.
                              Thank you. I'll look into it. Are there different series of the LG OLED or is this a specific model?

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                86” OLED? Are you made of money?

i just got an OLED but only 65”. It was spendy but totally worth it. The darks/blacks are incredible and I have no buyers remorse at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X