Direct me to an awesome tool set

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UteStar
    Sexiest Poster in Town
    • Nov 2008
    • 2419

    #1

    Direct me to an awesome tool set

    I am looking for a good quality home tool set. I can find those little dinky sets for $15...but I want one that will last a while. One that would be good for minor repairs in the home. I would be willing to spend a hundred or two on one if it is good quality. Any thoughts?
  • SoCalCoug
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
    • Nov 2008
    • 5214

    #2
    I hear there's a huge set of tools over at Utefans.net.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69687

      #3
      Check out the tool sets at Costco. Good quality and very good pricing.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #4
        I recommend this craftsman tool set. you can get it online at sears.com



        It has 1470 pieces and only costs $8,649.

        It should have most of what you need to fix your garage door.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • Art Vandelay
          Striving for mediocrity
          • Jul 2009
          • 10516

          #5
          Talk to Jeff Spicoli, he has access to the ultimate set.

          Comment

          • UteStar
            Sexiest Poster in Town
            • Nov 2008
            • 2419

            #6
            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            I recommend this craftsman tool set. you can get it online at sears.com



            It has 1470 pieces and only costs $8,649.

            It should have most of what you need to fix your garage door.

            Interesting. I may wait for it to drop to $8K. I put it on price alert. Thanks for the lead.

            Comment

            • Surfah
              Where's Wallace?
              • Nov 2008
              • 33726

              #7
              If you want good tools it's going to cost you a minimum of a few hundred bucks. I wouldn't trust most of the home kits out there. I'd rather piece my own kit together to be honest. But if you don't use your tools much you'd do fine with a Stanley, Husky (Home Depot), Kobalt (Lowes), or Craftsman kit.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

              Comment

              • creekster
                It is NOT a monkey!
                • Nov 2008
                • 22661

                #8
                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                If you want good tools it's going to cost you a minimum of a few hundred bucks. I wouldn't trust most of the home kits out there. I'd rather piece my own kit together to be honest. But if you don't use your tools much you'd do fine with a Stanley, Husky (Home Depot), Kobalt (Lowes), or Craftsman kit.
                I agree. I would go buy az top quality set of screwdrivers, and a good set of ratcheting box wrenches and maybe a decent socket wrench set, in adidtion to a few other odds and ends (measuring tape, midsize level, pliers, needle nose pliers, etc.). Beyond that I would buy tools as you need them. And always buy quality. Over the years you will find that you have acquired a good set of working tools.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                Comment

                • UteStar
                  Sexiest Poster in Town
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 2419

                  #9
                  Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  I agree. I would go buy az top quality set of screwdrivers, and a good set of ratcheting box wrenches and maybe a decent socket wrench set, in adidtion to a few other odds and ends (measuring tape, midsize level, pliers, needle nose pliers, etc.). Beyond that I would buy tools as you need them. And always buy quality. Over the years you will find that you have acquired a good set of working tools.
                  Both very good ideas. Thanks.

                  Comment

                  • Art Vandelay
                    Striving for mediocrity
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 10516

                    #10
                    If it was another poster I would be disappointed, but since it's Utestar I'm not surprised. I gave you gold Jerry, comedy gold.

                    Comment

                    • cougjunkie
                      *Banned*
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 23223

                      #11
                      This may work for you:

                      *Banned*

                      Comment

                      • old_gregg
                        scaly man fish
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 16915

                        #12
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                        Comment

                        • Surfah
                          Where's Wallace?
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 33726

                          #13
                          Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          I agree. I would go buy az top quality set of screwdrivers, and a good set of ratcheting box wrenches and maybe a decent socket wrench set, in adidtion to a few other odds and ends (measuring tape, midsize level, pliers, needle nose pliers, etc.). Beyond that I would buy tools as you need them. And always buy quality. Over the years you will find that you have acquired a good set of working tools.
                          Yup. Hammer, screwdriver set, socket and wrench set, pliers, measuring tape, level are pretty much all essential. I'd probably add a some hand tools also like a cordless drill.

                          The brands I listed all have lifetime warranties. They're mid-priced and reasonably good quality.

                          One thing I love about having home projects to work on is the opportunity to buy new tools. Sadly not having a home to work on and being out of work last year forced me to sell some of my tools including this:



                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • UteStar
                            Sexiest Poster in Town
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 2419

                            #14
                            Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                            This may work for you:


                            Have that one...but the tools were not high quality. The case worked well, the tools broke down. Thanks though.

                            Comment

                            • Parrot Head
                              Operation Hot Mother
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 2322

                              #15
                              Originally posted by UteStar View Post
                              Have that one...but the tools were not high quality. The case worked well, the tools broke down. Thanks though.
                              Now go buy a Dremel, file out the inside of the case and use it as your iPad scripture tote.
                              I have nothing else to say at this time.

                              Comment

                              Working...