installing wood floors

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • FN Phat
    I ♥ gateway sex
    • Feb 2009
    • 8691

    #16
    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Agreed. My post was a round-about way of pointing out that I think it's annoying how the same term is used for two installation techniques which are as different as can be.
    That is how I read your post.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

    Comment

    • Lost Student
      BAND!
      • Nov 2008
      • 4324

      #17
      I learned something new today! FTR, I was referring to the snap-in floor over top a foam moisture barrier. That's the kind I helped a buddy install once--he called it a floating installation. That's the extent of my experience with floor installation of any kind.

      Irregardless, I guess my misnomer is just a mute point now based on Brian's response.
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

      Comment

      • Brian
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 2164

        #18
        Here she is. Depth wise, it's mostly about 1/16", with some of the pockets to 1/8" or so.
        How's the best way to get this up? I was using a prybar and hammer.


        I intend to live forever.
        So far, so good.
        --Steven Wright

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #19
          It's not deep but since that area appears decent in size (I assume the rest of the floor will look the same) I'd use a leveler just to fill it in. I think you'd get some uneven application of the adhesive for the flooring if you didn't and this might cause some popping later. Plus if something spilled, I'd hate for a place for the liquid to pool underneath.

          The stuff we used had a latex prep that went over the slab and then a thinpatch concrete slurry that was really thin in consistency. Basically it just got poured out of bucket and ran on its own filling in the low spots and holes.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • FN Phat
            I ♥ gateway sex
            • Feb 2009
            • 8691

            #20
            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            It's not deep but since that area appears decent in size (I assume the rest of the floor will look the same) I'd use a leveler just to fill it in. I think you'd get some uneven application of the adhesive for the flooring if you didn't and this might cause some popping later. Plus if something spilled, I'd hate for a place for the liquid to pool underneath.

            The stuff we used had a latex prep that went over the slab and then a thinpatch concrete slurry that was really thin in consistency. Basically it just got poured out of bucket and ran on its own filling in the low spots and holes.
            I'm your huckleberry.


            "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

            Comment

            • cougjunkie
              *Banned*
              • Nov 2008
              • 23223

              #21
              Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
              So many double entendres in Surfahs post.
              Last edited by cougjunkie; 06-02-2010, 04:01 PM.
              *Banned*

              Comment

              • Brian
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 2164

                #22
                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                It's not deep but since that area appears decent in size (I assume the rest of the floor will look the same) I'd use a leveler just to fill it in. I think you'd get some uneven application of the adhesive for the flooring if you didn't and this might cause some popping later. Plus if something spilled, I'd hate for a place for the liquid to pool underneath.

                The stuff we used had a latex prep that went over the slab and then a thinpatch concrete slurry that was really thin in consistency. Basically it just got poured out of bucket and ran on its own filling in the low spots and holes.
                I'm finally to the point where all the parquet flooring is up and in the landfill. Some old adhesive remains in some spots, so I need to scrape that up. fun times...

                So you put a latex prep over, let it dry, then apply something like Level Quik?
                From what I can see from googling, LevelQuik requires some smoothing tools. --I've never used this stuff, and it dries pretty quick (30 minutes), so I'm a little nervous to try and figure out how to do it. It sounds like you were using something different?
                I intend to live forever.
                So far, so good.
                --Steven Wright

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Brian View Post
                  I'm finally to the point where all the parquet flooring is up and in the landfill. Some old adhesive remains in some spots, so I need to scrape that up. fun times...

                  So you put a latex prep over, let it dry, then apply something like Level Quik?
                  From what I can see from googling, LevelQuik requires some smoothing tools. --I've never used this stuff, and it dries pretty quick (30 minutes), so I'm a little nervous to try and figure out how to do it. It sounds like you were using something different?
                  I can't for the life of me remember what the leveler was called. But we didn't use any tools or trowels or anything. It was literally poured from a bucket and it ran by itself to fill in the low spots. Maybe FN Phat can recall. But yeah it dries quickly. And there was a latex prep coat first.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • Pheidippides
                    Liberal Feminazi
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 14759

                    #24
                    Awesome post, Brian. I am currently deciding whether or not I dare undertake the same task myself or contract out to have it done. I will watch this thread with interest.
                    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                    Comment

                    • Katy Lied
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 9435

                      #25
                      Hold on. I thought you float those floors over stickers. Or are stickers only needed if you install radiant heating below the wood? Not sure.

                      Comment

                      • Brian
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 2164

                        #26
                        One more data point. Only about 1/2 of the space needs patching. The den and foyer had parquet, the living and dining room had carpet. So, those last two room are fine. It seems like the pour is meant to be poured over the entire space, which I don't need. Can I *very* carefully just pour it into the spots that need it? That seems like an easy way to pour just a little to much and make the floor much worse.

                        peace.
                        I intend to live forever.
                        So far, so good.
                        --Steven Wright

                        Comment

                        • Surfah
                          Where's Wallace?
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 33726

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Brian View Post
                          One more data point. Only about 1/2 of the space needs patching. The den and foyer had parquet, the living and dining room had carpet. So, those last two room are fine. It seems like the pour is meant to be poured over the entire space, which I don't need. Can I *very* carefully just pour it into the spots that need it? That seems like an easy way to pour just a little to much and make the floor much worse.

                          peace.
                          Yes you should be able to just pour in the areas it is needed. However pour too much and it will run into other areas rather easily.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • FN Phat
                            I ♥ gateway sex
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 8691

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            Yes you should be able to just pour in the areas it is needed. However pour too much and it will run into other areas rather easily.
                            This is correct. It is designed to level itself. It will fill out the lower sections. As long as you do not overfill the area, you should be fine. The only tools I have ever seen used was for clean-up.
                            I'm your huckleberry.


                            "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                            Comment

                            • Brian
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 2164

                              #29
                              Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                              This is correct. It is designed to level itself. It will fill out the lower sections. As long as you do not overfill the area, you should be fine. The only tools I have ever seen used was for clean-up.

                              The youtube videos I have seen look like pouring a milk shake. Is it thin enough to fill a 1/16th inch deep area? Pour it out a dixie cup at a time?

                              Maybe I can practice on the driveway or something. Or the asphalt on the road.
                              I intend to live forever.
                              So far, so good.
                              --Steven Wright

                              Comment

                              • FN Phat
                                I ♥ gateway sex
                                • Feb 2009
                                • 8691

                                #30
                                Originally posted by Brian View Post
                                The youtube videos I have seen look like pouring a milk shake. Is it thin enough to fill a 1/16th inch deep area? Pour it out a dixie cup at a time?

                                Maybe I can practice on the driveway or something. Or the asphalt on the road.
                                You are spot on. I am not sure if 1/16 of an inch will make that big of difference but it will fill the void just fine.
                                I'm your huckleberry.


                                "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                                Comment

                                Working...