Next home improvement project?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37975

    #16
    Originally posted by kccougar View Post
    I know that some people with epoxy floors keep a squeegie around, but I hadn't really thought that much about the water. That might be a problem since I already have a low spot on the floor where water tends to gather.

    I do love the look of a nice garage floor.
    Why don't you just paint the floor but leave off the sealant? I'll bet its not as water repellent that way.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • kccougar
      9262
      • Nov 2008
      • 7020

      #17
      Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Why don't you just paint the floor but leave off the sealant? I'll bet its not as water repellent that way.
      Won't last more than one summer. Parking a car with hot rubber on a painted floor will pull the paint off real quick.
      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

      Comment

      • venkman
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 2199

        #18
        Well I finished my basement two years ago, so I'm good for a while.

        Actually, not.

        I've done a few landscaping projects here and there, had to tear down and move my whole south fence (property dispute, I won!).

        I'm a garage organization fanatic too, I've built massive amounts of shelving.

        The bathrooms all need finishing, but that'll wait a couple of years, at least.

        Only pressing project is to increase our kitchen lighting - I'll probably install some can lighting this winter.

        Our front steps/railing is a weird set-up. I'm going to jack that out and pour new steps and install new railing. Next spring/summer.
        "Remember to double tap"

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37975

          #19
          Originally posted by kccougar View Post
          Won't last more than one summer. Parking a car with hot rubber on a painted floor will pull the paint off real quick.
          You don't like paint chips stuck to your tires? To each his own, I guess.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • pellegrino
            miserere me
            • Jan 2009
            • 12100

            #20
            Originally posted by kccougar View Post
            You're right - that doesn't sound fun (kitchen walls).
            The frustrating thing about it is that in the basement they installed wood floaters so they could install wood paneling easily. Why in the hell they didn't do the same with the kitchen walls (galley style kitchen) is beyond me. I thought about furring it out, but that would have taken away precious space and I'd still have to use tapcons to attach the furring strips, so instead, we'll just tapcon each cabine. Not looking forward to that.
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

            pelagius

            Comment

            • pellegrino
              miserere me
              • Jan 2009
              • 12100

              #21
              Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
              The frustrating thing about it is that in the basement they installed wood floaters so they could install wood paneling easily. Why in the hell they didn't do the same with the kitchen walls (galley style kitchen) is beyond me. I thought about furring it out, but that would have taken away precious space and I'd still have to use tapcons to attach the furring strips, so instead, we'll just tapcon each cabinet. Not looking forward to that.
              Got all but one of the uppers in today. 7 hours for five cabinets. I was living in shim city.
              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
              Alessandro Manzoni

              Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

              pelagius

              Comment

              • Surfah
                Where's Wallace?
                • Nov 2008
                • 33726

                #22
                Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                Got all but one of the uppers in today. 7 hours for five cabinets. I was living in shim city.
                That sucks.

                Are the walls that bad?
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

                Comment

                • pellegrino
                  miserere me
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 12100

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  That sucks.

                  Are the walls that bad?
                  It's complicated, but basically we had to shim the top six inches of each cabinet, in some places as much as 3/4." The walls are actually pretty good, but there is a plaster line where the old cabinets met an old bulkhead. We're putting in 42" cabinets that extend above the plaster line so the old bulkhead came down and there is about 20 " of bare cinder blocks . The walls are really quite level where there is plaster, but the individual blocks are really out of whack and then excess mortar had to be chipped away in spots.

                  So for each cabinet we had to attach a 1x6 to the bare blocks to make sure they had something to hold to up top. In some cases we had to shave off as much as 1/4" to make sure it met flush with the plaster below. The tapcons weren't working well in the cinder blocks so we had to abandon them and go with lead sleeves and screws. So for each cabinet we had to drill as many as seven holes in the blocks. It was a long, long day.
                  Last edited by pellegrino; 12-16-2009, 09:13 PM.
                  Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                  God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                  Alessandro Manzoni

                  Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                  pelagius

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37975

                    #24
                    Pilgrim, you got any before and after pictures? Sounds like a cool project (for those not involved...).
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • pellegrino
                      miserere me
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 12100

                      #25
                      Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Pilgrim, you got any before and after pictures? Sounds like a cool project (for those not involved...).
                      I hope you were thinking in a John Wayne voice when you wrote that. Whether you were or not, I still got a good laugh out of it.

                      I've got some pictures from before. I'll see if I can't get some afters and share them. Although it took a lot longer than I anticipated (cutting off the back corner of one of the cabinets didn't speed things up either) it has been a good project, mainly because I've been able to solve the problems that have come up. It gives you a real sense of accomplishment when you can do that successfully.
                      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                      Alessandro Manzoni

                      Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                      pelagius

                      Comment

                      • TheBYUGuy
                        Friend of Rodin
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 1442

                        #26
                        Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                        I know that some people with epoxy floors keep a squeegie around, but I hadn't really thought that much about the water. That might be a problem since I already have a low spot on the floor where water tends to gather.

                        I do love the look of a nice garage floor.
                        For the snow problem, my FIL just gets a bunch of fresh snow from the lawn, and dumps it on top of the muddly spots. Give the snow a couple minutes to absorb the snow, then sweep it out onto the driveway with a push broom.

                        Comment

                        Working...