General Authority salaries

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Indy Coug
    Heartless Bastard
    • Dec 2008
    • 18747

    #16
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    what do you mean by "travel reimbursement?"

    The Apostle has to fly to Peru for a stake conference. Apostle books a flight to Peru, pays on his credit card, and then submits his expenses to the Church for a reimbursement? Why would that be income? Maybe I am not understanding.
    IMO, it's not income, but I'm wondering here if someone is considering that to be income when they are conjuring up the $600K figure.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #17
      Originally posted by scottie View Post
      Anyone here close enough to one of the 70s to ask him if he's paid $120K per? (Above and beyond travel and living expenses).
      again, reimbursements for costs are not imputed into taxable income. "stipends" would be imputed to the extent that they exceed actual costs. I don't understand this carve out for "travel and living" expenses. That could actually be the lion's share of their income. What if an Apostle is given a stipend of $400K "living expenses" a year? Why would we look "above and beyond" such a gigantic number?
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • ERCougar
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10978

        #18
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        I have no issue with that. I do have issue with the tune of 600K. I'd even have issue to the tune of $150K. That is a lot of scratch in Utah, where the average salary isn't even half of that. Apostles of the Lord should not be living on a stipend that is almost 3 times the average wage of the commoners. It should, at best, reflect what the masses are making.
        600K is ridiculous but 150K isn't excessive. It's a full-time, demanding job that requires real sacrifice from wives and kids, who may or may not be totally on board with the new gig, particularly given that most of these guys leave well-paying jobs elsewhere. 150K isn't high for your average executive, which is essentially what these guys are.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

        Comment

        • kccougar
          9262
          • Nov 2008
          • 7020

          #19
          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          what do you mean by "travel reimbursement?"

          The Apostle has to fly to Peru for a stake conference. Apostle books a flight to Peru, pays on his credit card, and then submits his expenses to the Church for a reimbursement? Why would that be income? Maybe I am not understanding.
          Because the "source" seems to be lumping in these church-payed credit cards as compensation.
          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

          Comment

          • Indy Coug
            Heartless Bastard
            • Dec 2008
            • 18747

            #20
            An area authority I know got $0 beyond expense reimbursement and did not get healthcare benefits.
            Everything in life is an approximation.

            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #21
              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              IMO, it's not income, but I'm wondering here if someone is considering that to be income when they are conjuring up the $600K figure.
              ok, so we are on the same page. When I hear "$600K" I am thinking take home, after reimbursement for actual expenses. But I am also weary of creative cost accounting for stipends. Stipends are often not included as part of exec compensation base but must be considered when calculating your AGI.

              more gamesmanship on my part, though. I've already admitted that this is all conjecture until we have some inside scoopage.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • Fiyero
                Banned
                • Nov 2008
                • 5266

                #22
                As of three years ago, each member of the Q12 was given a Toyota Avalon for their local travel.

                What much of it boils down to is the value of their travel expenses; however keep in mind that they are often chauffered by local leaders and stay with stake presidents. Since what they do is a full time job it makes sense that they would need a stipend to pay property taxes, insurance premiums and the like, but it's the traveling that really pushes up the numbers.

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #23
                  Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                  Because the "source" seems to be lumping in these church-payed credit cards as compensation.
                  well, in that case I would agree that the figure is nonsense. You can't impute into income actuals for expense reimbursement. that is insane and is not supported by the IRC.

                  No boss would say, "well, we aren't giving you a raise this year because you made a killing off expense reimbursements for all those flights we forced you to take."
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • scottie
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5247

                    #24
                    A few years ago on CB we were having this same discussion, and someone send me a boardmail that read, "I do know that in the late 80's, a member of the 70 made around 80k."

                    Comment

                    • RobinFinderson
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10548

                      #25
                      Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      600K is ridiculous but 150K isn't excessive. It's a full-time, demanding job that requires real sacrifice from wives and kids, who may or may not be totally on board with the new gig, particularly given that most of these guys leave well-paying jobs elsewhere. 150K isn't high for your average executive, which is essentially what these guys are.
                      A stake president does the job of an 'average executive.' However these guys get compensated, it should represent a serious sacrifice in the tradition of the calling that Christ defined. Honestly, I think these guys should get paid zero dollars. The church should provide them a home, healthy food, tailoring, and all of the basics for doing their job, but they should receive zero discretionary dollars from the church. If stake presidents work for free, with all of the hours that job requires them to sacrifice, then GA's should also work for free.

                      Comment

                      • ERCougar
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10978

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
                        As of three years ago, each member of the Q12 was given a Toyota Avalon for their local travel.

                        What much of it boils down to is the value of their travel expenses; however keep in mind that they are often chauffered by local leaders and stay with stake presidents. Since what they do is a full time job it makes sense that they would need a stipend to pay property taxes, insurance premiums and the like, but it's the traveling that really pushes up the numbers.
                        Doesn't that beg the question--do they really need to travel that much? I guess I can understand in countries with lower standards of living, where technologic resources aren't available and the church is young, but the Ventura CA ward doesn't need an area authority to every stake conference.
                        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                        Comment

                        • YOhio
                          Hipster Mode
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 26165

                          #27
                          I have a buddy whose grandpa is a Q70. The only perk his family ever got, that I know of, were GC tickets and the use of a church van for an annual family vacation.

                          As an aside, I would have recommended that if the church is going to set up a shell company to hide cash and assets, they not use the name of the church magazine in the new company name.

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 37996

                            #28
                            Originally posted by scottie View Post
                            Anyone here close enough to one of the 70s to ask him if he's paid $120K per? (Above and beyond travel and living expenses).
                            In the 1990s my best friend's dad was a seventy, but only 2nd quorum. Before that, he was a VP of Pete Marwick (I think that's the PM of KPMG, right?). He made about $300k a year at that job and took a substantial pay cut when he moved to Utah and became a GA. We lived in a neighborhood that probably averaged between $80k and $100k. I remember my friend not being able to do a lot of the things we did b/c his family didn't have the money. They did, however, have a nice boat.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #29
                              Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                              If stake presidents work for free, with all of the hours that job requires them to sacrifice, then GA's should also work for free.
                              You probably already know this, but there's a fundamental difference between the two.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              • scottie
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 5247

                                #30
                                Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                                Because the "source" seems to be lumping in these church-payed credit cards as compensation.
                                The "source" says the charge cards are "In addition" to.

                                Comment

                                Working...