One down and one to go

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RC Vikings
    Known Heterosexual
    • Nov 2008
    • 8789

    #1

    One down and one to go

    Today is the one year mark for my son. You tell people that and they are amazed how fast the time is going but as you will find out it doesn't go that fast for the parents. I miss him but I'm also excited for the growth and the experiences he has gone through so far. He seems to be happy and safe. I wish his e-mails were a little longer but I can live with the short ones. As tough as it was a year ago to see him go this day roughly a year from now is going to make it all worth it.
    Last edited by RC Vikings; 08-27-2009, 07:35 AM.
  • I.J. Reilly
    Nobody's Fool
    • Apr 2009
    • 2949

    #2
    That's awesome. I remember when I hit a year on the mish. Very big occasion. I'm not sure what it was like for my parents, but they might have been happy as well

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #3
      Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
      Today is the one year mark for my son. You tell people that and they are amazed how fast the time is going but as you will find out it doesn't go that fast for the parents. I miss him but I'm also excited for the growth and the experiences he has gone through so far. He seems to be happy and safe. I wish his e-mails were a little longer but I can live with the short ones. As tough as it was a year ago to see him go that day roughly a year from now is going to make it all worth it.
      That's great. It is nice to hear a father express his pride and joy in his son and what his son is doing.

      I remember well when I hit my 1 year mark. It was time to start bugging my parents that I needed a GTO when I got home.

      Comment

      • Mormon Red Death
        BYU Delenda Est
        • Nov 2008
        • 8077

        #4
        that is probably the worst day of the mission.

        You think... "Man I've been out here forever and I have forever to go"
        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

        "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

        Comment

        • Levin
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 1152

          #5
          I never thought what my parents must be feeling on these mission milestones . . . Sweet to think of them being affected by them.

          The worst days on my mission were my birthdays. And I don't know why. It was like all of hell's fog would encircle me and I became remarkably unpleasant and brooding. The day after the fog inevitably lifted. Hasn't happened on a birthday since.

          Comment

          • creekster
            It is NOT a monkey!
            • Nov 2008
            • 22661

            #6
            Congrats RC. That is a milestone. As you know, my son is a ltitle less than two months from a year. In some ways it has been fast, but it has also been very long. I have decided it is good for me, however, as even when he returns he will never really return (back to school right away, less and less involvement at home, etc.) so the time I will have with him afterwards will seem like a big bonus instead of a let down. I think that is good.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

            Comment

            • Indy Coug
              Heartless Bastard
              • Dec 2008
              • 18747

              #7
              My one year mark was celebrated by having a 104 degree fever in the midst of being sick for a week. I thought that situation was completely fitting.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

              Comment

              • Donuthole
                Official Outgayer
                • Nov 2008
                • 25278

                #8
                Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                that is probably the worst day of the mission.

                You think... "Man I've been out here forever and I have forever to go"
                I remember feeling this way. I actually wrote a mid-mission crisis essay/manifesto in which I poured out my soul with regard to my emotions at the time. I mailed it to my best friend, who was also at his year mark in his mission. It was labeled a masterpiece by him and his fellow missionaries, for the accurate encapsulation of the emotions most missionaries feel at their one-year point. Apparently he copied it and passed it out to his district, and it quickly made its way through their mission. Unfortunately, I didn't save a copy for myself (I was somewhat hesitant to circulate something like that through my own mission, as I feared it would get back to the President, and I would be forever labeled a dissenter) and my friend hasn't been able to locate a copy.

                I'd really like to read it, to a) gauge my writing at that point in my life, and b) remember some of the emotions I was feeling at the time. So if anyone served in the California Roseville Mission in from 98-00 and happens to have a copy of the Mid-Mission Crisis Manifesto, would you send me a copy?
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69752

                  #9
                  It's hump day at our house too. Yeah, it has been a long year.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • byu71
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 22070

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    It's hump day at our house too. Yeah, it has been a long year.
                    I still miss that part of marriage.

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69752

                      #11
                      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      I still miss that part of marriage.
                      lol.

                      Boy I pitched a softball with that post, didn't I?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • creekster
                        It is NOT a monkey!
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22661

                        #12
                        I dont remeber my one year day. I only remember returning home.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                        Comment

                        • bball3212
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 23

                          #13
                          Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                          Today is the one year mark for my son. You tell people that and they are amazed how fast the time is going but as you will find out it doesn't go that fast for the parents. I miss him but I'm also excited for the growth and the experiences he has gone through so far. He seems to be happy and safe. I wish his e-mails were a little longer but I can live with the short ones. As tough as it was a year ago to see him go this day roughly a year from now is going to make it all worth it.
                          I remember that day...after almost going home the first weeks of my mission, that was one point in which I realized how far I had made it since that time.

                          Comment

                          • JohnnyLingo
                            La Naranja
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 3976

                            #14
                            I remember feeling like the last year had gone really fast in some ways and really slow in others. Wasn't sure what to expect for the next 12 months.

                            Comment

                            Working...