I guess I realize why I generally go to Gospel Doctrine instead of hanging out in the foyer. I'm not sure I'm a deep enough thinker to contribute to many of the discussions on here (that was not meant to be either TIC or sarcastic). I enjoy reading the diverse opinions, but many leave me feeling like I must really be a simpleton.
The Foyer is an intimidating place
Collapse
X
-
Tags: None
-
-
Yes, but it's what makes the Foyer fun. And btw, you're not alone.Originally posted by Art Vandelay View PostI guess I realize why I generally go to Gospel Doctrine instead of hanging out in the foyer. I'm not sure I'm a deep enough thinker to contribute to many of the discussions on here (that was not meant to be either TIC or sarcastic). I enjoy reading the diverse opinions, but many leave me feeling like I must really be a simpleton.I'm like LeBron James.
-mpfunk
Comment
-
At least you assess yourself accurately. That should make foyer life easier. Those who are simpletons but don't know it have a much rougher time in the foyer.Originally posted by Art Vandelay View PostI guess I realize why I generally go to Gospel Doctrine instead of hanging out in the foyer. I'm not sure I'm a deep enough thinker to contribute to many of the discussions on here (that was not meant to be either TIC or sarcastic). I enjoy reading the diverse opinions, but many leave me feeling like I must really be a simpleton.
Comment
-
You will be alright. Being a simpleton isn't so bad, except some people will try to tell you what you really meant or really said.Originally posted by Art Vandelay View PostI guess I realize why I generally go to Gospel Doctrine instead of hanging out in the foyer. I'm not sure I'm a deep enough thinker to contribute to many of the discussions on here (that was not meant to be either TIC or sarcastic). I enjoy reading the diverse opinions, but many leave me feeling like I must really be a simpleton.
Comment
-
Ok I will admit I rarely consider myself a simpleton (a healthy ego has never been a problem of mine). I do however feel somewhat naive; similar to when I talk to those who are part of the Sunstone crowd. I rarely ask myself, or others, the deep soul searching questions than many seem to focus on. I have a very strong belief in some basic gospel tenets which makes many of the peripheral doctrine easier to accept.Originally posted by SeattleUte View PostYour post dripped with sarcasm, especially this part.
My personal philosophy is I don't think God is under any requirement to let me know the all the reasons why. IT doesn't bother me that I don't know why polygamy was instituted or why coffee can keep me out of the temple but Twinkies are seemingly ok.
I like the set up of CUF much better than CB in that topics are fully discussed and people are called out when they make a stupid or incorrect statement. However, when it comes to religious discussion, I'm not sure my responder of "....because God and/or prophet said so" adds much to the dialogue.
Comment
-
If you are able to discuss the Twinky as a symbol of hermaphroditism, you will do just fine.Originally posted by Art Vandelay View PostOk I will admit I rarely consider myself a simpleton (a healthy ego has never been a problem of mine). I do however feel somewhat naive; similar to when I talk to those who are part of the Sunstone crowd. I rarely ask myself, or others, the deep soul searching questions than many seem to focus on. I have a very strong belief in some basic gospel tenets which makes many of the peripheral doctrine easier to accept.
My personal philosophy is I don't think God is under any requirement to let me know the all the reasons why. IT doesn't bother me that I don't know why polygamy was instituted or why coffee can keep me out of the temple but Twinkies are seemingly ok.
I like the set up of CUF much better than CB in that topics are fully discussed and people are called out when they make a stupid or incorrect statement. However, when it comes to religious discussion, I'm not sure my responder of "....because God and/or prophet said so" adds much to the dialogue."The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."
"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."
"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."
-Rick Majerus
Comment
-
-
Please don't feel intimidated. Your contributions are welcome.Originally posted by Art Vandelay View PostI guess I realize why I generally go to Gospel Doctrine instead of hanging out in the foyer. I'm not sure I'm a deep enough thinker to contribute to many of the discussions on here (that was not meant to be either TIC or sarcastic). I enjoy reading the diverse opinions, but many leave me feeling like I must really be a simpleton.
Comment
-
You are either a huge suck up or a liar. You have made it very clear that not all contributions are welcome.Originally posted by YOhio View PostPlease don't feel intimidated. Your contributions are welcome."The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."
"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."
"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."
-Rick Majerus
Comment
-
Good question and I'm not sure I can fully articulate, or possibly I don't even know myself, the answer. It is similar the current same-sex marriage issue for me. I really have no problem with gays marrying- there already living together, having sex, and making out on the tabernacle benches, what do I care if they call themselvs husband and husband or not. However, I would never share this opinion except on a semi-LDS message board or with very close friends. If I had been asked to put up a sign to support Prop-8 by my ecclesiastical leader I would have because I believe in the fundamental truth of the priesthood and line of authority. Even though i know it is filed with imperfect men.Originally posted by smokymountainrain View PostWhat about racist church leaders/policies? Does that bother you?
Getting back you original question, do I like or even agree with the fact that many of the church's policies appear to be ignorant at best and racist at worst? No I don't like it if I stop and ponder about. Yet at the same time I fully realize I have a very limited understanding why certain decision were made. I believe in a merciful and just God that will someday right all wrongs and will make clear to me why his ways are not always my ways.
Long story short I suppose it doesn't effect me too much because I focus on what I do know not what I don't know.
Comment
-
I'm with you about not being a deep enough thinker to participate in the Foyer Discussions, although it hasn't been much of an issue for me as I have taught Primary for 17 of the past 18 years. The Primary lesson manuals sometimes were above my level of comprehension. Many times I would answer the kids' questions by saying, "Go ask your parents and come back next week and tell the class what you found out". I didn't care about feeling inadequate at all until last Fall when I was released and pretty much went completely inactive for a number of reasons. Attending Sunday School was WAY WAY WAY beyond my ability to cope.Originally posted by Art Vandelay View PostI guess I realize why I generally go to Gospel Doctrine instead of hanging out in the foyer. I'm not sure I'm a deep enough thinker to contribute to many of the discussions on here (that was not meant to be either TIC or sarcastic). I enjoy reading the diverse opinions, but many leave me feeling like I must really be a simpleton.
And as for feeling like a simpleton, well that's how I've lived my life for my entire 41 years. When it comes to religious discussions, I am pretty much clueless unless it's kept pretty benign and general. Anything deeper than the Temple recommend questions are beyond my level of understanding most of the time. However, if you want to discuss why I told me son to not serve a mission, why I don't speak to my parents, or why I will never again attend Elders Quorum, I am ready, willing, and able to contribute to the discussion.“According to the teachings of Buddhism, the worst thing that you can do to your karma is to say to someone else that their faith is bad”
Comment
-
Don't be shy, Art. And don't let SU scare you."There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
-
What are you kidding? This is the best part of the board! The intellectual emperors really think they're wearing clothes. It's priceless!
Seriously, just inflate your diction and refuse to back down and you'll be fine. Oh, and make sure to keep 71 in his place.
Comment
Comment