Girls Camp

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • KillerDog
    a.k.a. K-dog
    • Feb 2009
    • 4196

    #61
    Originally posted by mUUser View Post
    For that reason alone, we may have been separated at birth.
    LOL! I'm glad there are more than a few in my club. One day we should rise up and cast down the camping despots.

    Comment

    • falafel
      loves to talk on things
      • Mar 2009
      • 38003

      #62
      Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
      Generic personal attacks and the classic "I'm not the only one who feels this way" move.
      Is there a middle finger icon we can get on this board? Because I'm pretty sure that's what JL and Hallelujah really mean when they include the after each post.

      Oh here, I found one: nlm
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

      Dig your own grave, and save!

      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • KillerDog
        a.k.a. K-dog
        • Feb 2009
        • 4196

        #63
        Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
        I just finished up 5 years as YM President and I have a great repoire with all of my boys.

        We had a ton of fun, while getting 5 Eagle Scouts out of it about around 85% of the boys got their DTG awards.

        Because we turned every activity into a fun activity. As I feel it should be. The spirit can be present and service can be done all while having fun.

        No pain no gain? Whatever.

        Some of my YM will be great friends to me for life. I feel bad for leaders that aren't going to have that either because of their leadership style, or YM that just don't want to get with the program.

        I didn't care if a kid came to mutual and smelled of smoke or other stuff. Just glad to have them there.

        iPod? No problem. Just listen to the instructions I have for the night and then you can throw them right back into your ears...
        You seem to "get it". I've found that those who get it need no instruction. For those who don't get it, no instruction will suffice.

        Comment

        • KillerDog
          a.k.a. K-dog
          • Feb 2009
          • 4196

          #64
          Originally posted by falafel View Post
          Is there a middle finger icon we can get on this board? Because I'm pretty sure that's what JL and Hallelujah really mean when they include the after each post.

          Oh here, I found one: nlm
          I suppose you could do that right handed and left handed nlm mln

          Comment

          • myboynoah
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 21719

            #65
            Originally posted by mUUser View Post
            The cynicism of work/life has most definately spilled over to the church setting.

            Criticism seems to have hit an all-time high (present company not excluded)....activities, camps, lessons, leadership....all come under intense scrutinty of 300 ward members each and every week. My MIL visited recently and attended church with us -- first thing out of her mouth on the way home was a criticism of the organ player -- the organ player I'm tellin' ya! I wish I were kidding.
            Sad, but true. We enjoy obvious benefits from a lay ministry, and must be willing to suffer some of the negatives.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

            For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

            Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

            Comment

            • JohnnyLingo
              La Naranja
              • Nov 2008
              • 3976

              #66
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              Is there a middle finger icon we can get on this board? Because I'm pretty sure that's what JL and Hallelujah really mean when they include the after each post.

              Oh here, I found one: nlm
              I honestly do not have any hard feelings towards Tick. When I use a smiley face, I mean it as I'm not taking this too seriously, not that I wish you were dead.

              I can't speak for exUte.

              Comment

              • The_Tick
                Made something of myself
                • Nov 2008
                • 7297

                #67
                I am the male version of Sis. Beck.

                I take that as a compliment.

                Comment

                • myboynoah
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 21719

                  #68
                  Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                  I've done my share of coaching teenagers. I've found that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. If you want kids to listen to you instead of their music, say something of a type and in a manner that they will listen to. If you can't win in a marketplace with distractions, eliminating the distractions will make them physically hear you but they won't listen anyway. I think most leaders just delude themselves because they don't want to look at themselves and their message and make the adjustments necessary to be relevant. Instead, they blame an inanimate object and keep droning on.
                  Words to live by.

                  Coached them in what?

                  How old are your children?
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                  For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                  Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                  Comment

                  • JohnnyLingo
                    La Naranja
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 3976

                    #69
                    You seem to "get it". I've found that those who get it need no instruction. For those who don't get it, no instruction will suffice.
                    Is there room for an "every teenager is different" philosophy? I find you can't work with youth (or people) using the same wide brush. Some kids will respond well to not having their iPod, while others may check out entirely. Some kids respond to more easy-going discipline, while others go off the deep end.

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 38003

                      #70
                      Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                      I honestly do not have any hard feelings towards Tick. When I use a smiley face, I mean it as I'm not taking this too seriously, not that I wish you were dead.

                      I can't speak for exUte.
                      It seems that whenver you use the , it follows some smart-ass retort that's totally unrelated to the comment you're responding to. I see it more as a smirk than some light-hearted grin. I think its the kind of smirk that would earn you a fist in the mouth in person.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • KillerDog
                        a.k.a. K-dog
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 4196

                        #71
                        Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                        Words to live by.

                        Coached them in what?

                        How old are your children?
                        Volleyball, basketball, soccer, and high jump.

                        I have a two year old and a 6 day old so I haven't coached them. I've coached volleyball, basketball, and track at the high school level and soccer at the youth level.

                        Comment

                        • JohnnyLingo
                          La Naranja
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 3976

                          #72
                          Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          It seems that whenver you use the , it follows some smart-ass retort that's totally unrelated to the comment you're responding to.
                          Let's see, the last time I used the smiley, it was here:

                          Originally posted by JL
                          Generic personal attacks and the classic "I'm not the only one who feels this way" move.
                          In direct response to Tick calling me thick headed and saying he's not the only one who feels that way. I'd say my post was 100% related to the comment I responded to.

                          As far as being a smart-ass, that's your call.

                          I see it more as a smirk than some light-hearted grin. I think its the kind of smirk that would earn you a fist in the mouth in person.
                          I suppose if you're the type of person to respond to smart-assery with violence, then you're probably accurate.

                          Comment

                          • KillerDog
                            a.k.a. K-dog
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 4196

                            #73
                            Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                            Is there room for an "every teenager is different" philosophy? I find you can't work with youth (or people) using the same wide brush. Some kids will respond well to not having their iPod, while others may check out entirely. Some kids respond to more easy-going discipline, while others go off the deep end.
                            I think that getting it is realizing that every teenager is different but people generally respond in similar ways to similar inputs. Teenage girls are the hardest to work with. They require the most tailoring of methods and techniques. Teenage boys are 99% the same so broad brushes work fine if you are willing to make exceptions for the 1%.

                            Comment

                            • myboynoah
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 21719

                              #74
                              Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                              Volleyball, basketball, soccer, and high jump.

                              I have a two year old and a 6 day old so I haven't coached them. I've coached volleyball, basketball, and track at the high school level and soccer at the youth level.
                              So I take you have yet to serve as a YM leader.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                              Comment

                              • KillerDog
                                a.k.a. K-dog
                                • Feb 2009
                                • 4196

                                #75
                                Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                So I take you have yet to serve as a YM leader.
                                Never have. I admit that my only interactions with teenagers has been through sports. I don't think that negates the value of my experience. Maybe I'm wrong.

                                Comment

                                Working...