"Hold my root beer" - the Russell M. Nelson thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Did your home value go up? They just announced the new temple in Lindon will be within a mile of my home. I'm not sure what to expect with our home value. I never thought I'd be in a position to walk to the temple.

Edit: It's about 1/3 mile away as the crow flies. We're pretty excited.
    So which is it?
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post

So which is it?
      Army Aviation, baby. My kids think I own all the helicopters anyway, and that I can fly anywhere I want to go.

Comment

• I don't necessarily love this change, but not for any reasons that matter. Some of my best church-related memories and experiences with friends and family are directly related to pre- and post-priesthood meeting activities.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
          I don't necessarily love this change, but not for any reasons that matter. Some of my best church-related memories and experiences with friends and family are directly related to pre- and post-priesthood meeting activities.
          Yeah, I was going to post about how ice shop owners are raising their hands as OPPOSED.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Yeah, I was going to post about how ice shop owners are raising their hands as OPPOSED.
            So many fond memories of post-Priesthood meeting trips to the ice shop to get a cup of ice. Sometimes my dad would splurge and we'd get a whole bag of ice. Good times.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

So many fond memories of post-Priesthood meeting trips to the ice shop to get a cup of ice. Sometimes my dad would splurge and we'd get a whole bag of ice. Good times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                I don't necessarily love this change, but not for any reasons that matter. Some of my best church-related memories and experiences with friends and family are directly related to pre- and post-priesthood meeting activities.
                I have to say I agree with this. As a kid I would sit through two hours of complete boredom because I knew right after we’d be hitting the JB’s all you can eat ice cream bar afterwards. The ice cream bar was basically a soft serve ice cream machine and some random toppings but it was more than I could have hoped for. Later on my dad would start to take us to dinner afterwards.

This past April, as I watched the session from my house with my son in the room, I felt a bit empty as the nostalgia of going to the chapel and then getting dinner was lost for the second time. I won’t really mourn losing the session, but I mourn the memories that came with it and the ritual that brought those memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Spend the time watching the Final Four and have your own special meal with your kids. I’m all for one less church meeting. Especially at one of the worst timed meetings of every single year. Great opportunity to create new and fun traditions not steeped in dragging kids reluctantly to 90-120 minutes of boredom. Win win.
                  A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I have to say I agree with this. As a kid I would sit through two hours of complete boredom because I knew right after we’d be hitting the JB’s all you can eat ice cream bar afterwards. The ice cream bar was basically a soft serve ice cream machine and some random toppings but it was more than I could have hoped for. Later on my dad would start to take us to dinner afterwards.

This past April, as I watched the session from my house with my son in the room, I felt a bit empty as the nostalgia of going to the chapel and then getting dinner was lost for the second time. I won’t really mourn losing the session, but I mourn the memories that came with it and the ritual that brought those memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    JB’s all you can eat ice cream bar
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                      Spend the time watching the Final Four and have your own special meal with your kids. I’m all for one less church meeting. Especially at one of the worst timed meetings of every single year. Great opportunity to create new and fun traditions not steeped in dragging kids reluctantly to 90-120 minutes of boredom. Win win.
                      Amen.
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                        Spend the time watching the Final Four and have your own special meal with your kids. I’m all for one less church meeting. Especially at one of the worst timed meetings of every single year. Great opportunity to create new and fun traditions not steeped in dragging kids reluctantly to 90-120 minutes of boredom. Win win.
                        +1 The timing is bad - always has been for a "required" priesthood meeting.

During my senior year in HS, October GC priesthood meeting was in conflict with a football game. I grew up in a football town with one large stadium serving all four public high schools. So it was both Friday Night Lights and Saturday Night Lights on many weekends. My Dad understood I would be missing priesthood meeting to play football but still tried to put me on a guilt trip for being a bad example to my deacon-aged younger brother. I suggested that my Dad bring him to my football game instead of priesthood meeting. That was not helpful since my brother overheard this conversation and complained all the more about having to go to church on a Saturday night.

Dad and younger brother went to priesthood meeting, I played football under the lights. Later that night when I returned home, I got reprimanded for missing midnight curfew by 12 minutes and told I was expected to join the family to the Stake Center for GC. No inquiry about my football game: did we win? did I think I played well? Pro tip: if you miss your son's football game against their cross-city rival and neglect to ask him about it; at least check the score In the sports section of the local Sunday morning paper sitting on the dining room table. You might notice your son's picture in said paper with a caption about his scoring the game winning TD. That way you are not stunned when your friends in the stake come up to you before the conference session starts to comment on the exciting game and congratulate you and your son on the last minute victory.
                        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post

During my senior year in HS, October GC priesthood meeting was in conflict with a football game. I grew up in a football town with one large stadium serving all four public high schools. So it was both Friday Night Lights and Saturday Night Lights on many weekends. My Dad understood I would be missing priesthood meeting to play football but still tried to put me on a guilt trip for being a bad example to my deacon-aged younger brother. I suggested that my Dad bring him to my football game instead of priesthood meeting. That was not helpful since my brother overheard this conversation and complained all the more about having to go to church on a Saturday night.

Dad and younger brother went to priesthood meeting, I played football under the lights. Later that night when I returned home, I got reprimanded for missing midnight curfew by 12 minutes and told I was expected to join the family to the Stake Center for GC. No inquiry about my football game: did we win? did I think I played well? Pro tip: if you miss your son's football game against their cross-city rival and neglect to ask him about it; at least check the score In the sports section of the local Sunday morning paper sitting on the dining room table. You might notice your son's picture in said paper with a caption about his scoring the game winning TD. That way you are not stunned when your friends in the stake come up to you before the conference session starts to comment on the exciting game and congratulate you and your son on the last minute victory.
                          LOL. I know a lot of families who really made an entire meal out of those Saturday night priesthood sessions. Dare I suggest that football game was a can't miss. I'd rather catch the highlights of priesthood session than my son's football game.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• I have to think that if Mormon Women Stand didn’t fight to be able to attend the priesthood session and disrupt 150 years of general conference we would still have the priesthood session. So however you feel about it you should be thanking (sincerely or sarcastically) Kate Kelly!

Edit: just saw that I stole AA’s joke from another thread.
                            Last edited by Sullyute; 06-09-2021, 11:36 AM.
                            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Yeah, that's just nuts. People get priorities out of whack. My parents have been in that boat a few times as well. I was working out with the football team, but then when practices were on Monday night, well that was Family Home Evening! Obviously the stakes were too high to support me playing football. Oh, your son is speaking before leaving on his mission? Well I have to teach a class in church, so I don't think I can make it.

Comment

LOL. Great story.

My dad, my brother, and I would leave the GC priesthood early to get to the one and only drive-in in the small town so we didn't have wait in line with all the other priesthood meeting goers. Sometime our bishop would join us. I never complained about going to GC priesthood meeting because we lived in the middle of nowhere Idaho and going to the drive-in was a treat.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X