What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post

I absolutely agree. I looked at doing it when I was the ward choir director, just using the old hymn book, and it is not a great hymn unless you have the talent that Mack has had both at BYU and in the Tabernacle. Maybe they were able to tone it down a bit for the new hymn book.
    Obviously neither you nor AA were members of the Franklin ward in Massachusetts. Our choir directors were solid and they knew it. They worked us to the bone. And we did a decent Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing if I do say so myself.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Obviously neither you nor AA were members of the Franklin ward in Massachusetts. Our choir directors were solid and they knew it. They worked us to the bone. And we did a decent Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing if I do say so myself.
      That is one in 30,000 units. I am not saying it cannot be done, but that without a good choir director and willing to work choir, that song became quite the slog and was never sung, which resulted in its removal. Now, could it have replaced one of the sunshine songs without issue. Of course. Or Lovely Deseret, etc. Absolutely. But now it is back from the wasteland of the blue and brown hymnals and will be welcome in the new canary yellow hymnal. (probably not, but it would be cool.)
      “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• On my mission every baptism I planned started with Secreta Oracion and ended with Te Quiero Sin Cesar. Those hymns are ones that hold memories for me.
        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

That is one in 30,000 units. I am not saying it cannot be done, but that without a good choir director and willing to work choir, that song became quite the slog and was never sung, which resulted in its removal. Now, could it have replaced one of the sunshine songs without issue. Of course. Or Lovely Deseret, etc. Absolutely. But now it is back from the wasteland of the blue and brown hymnals and will be welcome in the new canary yellow hymnal. (probably not, but it would be cool.)
          Also the choir is not the congregation. You can get a ward choir to do the hallelujah chorus with enough work.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

Also the choir is not the congregation. You can get a ward choir to do the hallelujah chorus with enough work.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

Ok, enough work and a mentally unstable choir director. But I thought it turned out nicely.

Comment

• We just performed the Messiah with a stake choir and orchestra.

Comment

Exactly. It is not a congregational hymn, especially given the dirge-like tempos at which most congregational hymns are played/sung.
                  “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Exactly. It is not a congregational hymn, especially given the dirge-like tempos at which most congregational hymns are played/sung.
                    No dirging in my ward. I’m the organist and I keep things downright peppy, much to the consternation of our chorister who loves a dirge-like pace.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

No dirging in my ward. I’m the organist and I keep things downright peppy, much to the consternation of our chorister who loves a dirge-like pace.
                      Good on you. We had a chorister actually stare down my wife trying to get her to go slower. Didn't work. Best was when my wife was 8 months pregnant and really had to pee. Add in that it was one of the Cowboy hymns that sometimes cause my voice to slip into a pretty health twang. By the end of the song we were nearly at double time. It was really funny to see her waddle-run to the bathroom right as amen was said with no postlude.

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post

I wonder if our forefathers would have crossed the plains and made the desert bloom like a rose with that attitude.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                          My faves:

David Archuleta - Be Still My Soul
                          OMG your favorite church singer ever is now really gay! I bet almost anything that you're maybe a little gay now, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post

OMG your favorite church singer ever is now really gay! I bet almost anything that you're maybe a little gay now, too.
                            I am pretty certain he was gay then as well. I act in melodramas and am the go to in my house for ironing and an eye for matching clothes-been half gay for years bro!
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post

Ever since Taysom Hill took his first snap as a BYU QB, audibling a fourth and short into a play-action pass for an easy touchdown, we've all been a little gay.

Comment

Ever since Taysom Hill took his first snap as a BYU QB, audibling a fourth and short into a play-action pass for an easy touchdown, we've all been at least a little gay.
                                fify
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X