Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Sleeping in EQ
    Philosopher of Men
    • Nov 2008
    • 4188

    #1111
    Some day the home teaching program may have to change if a 14 year-old is mistreated by his senior companion.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

    Comment

    • smokymountainrain
      Impressive Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22593

      #1112
      yup. everywhere else we want at least two men where kids are involved, but on that one they specifically assign one kid to one adult and have them go out together alone.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

      Comment

      • Moliere
        One man.....one pie
        • Oct 2009
        • 27877

        #1113
        Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        I've been in 5 wards in the last 17 years, both in and out of utah - every one of them has had the two primary teachers rule/guideline - whatever. funny hearing you guys say this is a new thing and that some don't do this.
        I only really have one ward to compare, but we almost never team up women in primary mainly because we don’t have the personnel willing to serve in primary to cover every class with two people. The result is more women serving in primary, or couples covering the larger primary classes.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

        Comment

        • Topper
          Pre-Historic Man
          • Nov 2011
          • 11764

          #1114
          Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
          Some day the home teaching program may have to change if a 14 year-old is mistreated by his senior companion.
          Will the robots that perform this be gender neutral?
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

          Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

          Comment

          • Eddie
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2009
            • 8098

            #1115
            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            ...

            You don't need a Savior's blood. You do need a Savior to remind you that you cannot act as you wish because your actions ripple through this world, and guilt about bad things you've done serve to remind you to make amends. You don't need forgiveness from God to enter his kingdom; he created you and let you get put into situations, knowing full well that you would sin if you did, since he's omniscient and all. You do need forgiveness from those who you've wronged, and you need to forgive yourself. Sometimes only time can do that. Years will pass, and eventually shit that seemed to matter, intensely, to you will seem foolish. That's forgiveness. That's wisdom. That's maturity. That's the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If God is our Father, even though he made us from dust and spit, he'll forgive us for anything, so long as we try and be good. There's no need to go killing Jesus and drinking his blood and eating his flesh and all that other controlling, 10%, Weberian, Corporation of the President and not a Church stuff.
            I tend to believe that so much of what we have to go on here on earth revolves around faith. And while there is a lot of doctrine that gets flung around, ultimately (to me, at least) it comes down to the very basic concept of a) do you believe that God exists?, and b) if he does exist, do you trust him?

            And that's it. And I've decided that I do believe He exists (though I admit to not knowing what that looks like all the time), and I've decided that if He is God, and if I believe He cares about me - and the rest of humanity - then I have to trust Him. And that's it.

            So I trust Him that there will be punishment for those who deserve it - whether that be in this life or the next. And I trust Him that He will be fair. And I trust Him that He knows more about what's going on and what needs to happen - and He knows what He's doing when He either decides to intervene or decides not to. And I've seen times when both have happened - times when I know He intervened, and times when I wish He would've but He didn't.

            When I find myself getting caught up in moments like this - with questions about why did God allow this person who was in a position of authority do bad things, why weren't they stopped, why wasn't it revealed when he was called, or so many other "why" questions - I always come back to this one thought - that I really think goes well with what I highlighted in Wuap's quote above.

            If we believe that existence is eternal - and that our spirits or intelligences or whatever have been around forever before this life and will exist forever after this life - then EVERYTHING we think and do right now is based on a very limited amount of knowledge. And things that we might think are a pretty big deal right now - may ultimately prove to not be a big deal at all. Things that we may perceive as immensely harmful right now - He may see as akin to kids on the playground skinning a knee or scraping their hand from a fall on the sidewalk. Some injuries might be more serious - like a broken bone from falling from a swing. But he may see them in a very different light than we do.

            I know someone is going to misconstrue this and interpret it as if I'm saying that these harms are no big deal. And that is certainly NOT what I'm saying. I've worked in Child Protective Services and currently work in the Foster Care System. I've seen some of the worst of the worst when it comes to abuse and neglect of children - of all kinds. From my perspective we are responsible to do everything within our power to protect children from harm.

            I'm simply saying that God has a much more eternal perspective than we do, and has a much better understanding of why he allows things to happen. We try to explain it in a way that makes sense to us - but the reality is that maybe it never will. At least never while we're here in the midst of Earth life. This is such a short tiny blip on the timeline of eternity.

            I remember once taking my 6 month old child for a doctor's visit and seeing her cry out in pain as the doctor gave her an immunization - and then look up at me as if to ask "why did you let this happen to me! Why did you let them hurt me like this!" And all I could think was that she doesn't understand it now, but she needs those immunizations. Later I wondered if God doesn't have a similar thought as he hears us ask him "why did you let this happen to me?" I don't want this to be construed as if I'm saying that abuse and neglect are like immunizations. I'm simply saying that just like my 6 month old daughter didn't, and wasn't capable of, understanding. We may not have the perspective that allows us to be capable of understanding either.

            So I stick with faith. And I do my best to trust in God. That HE knows why He allows these things to happen. And that has to be enough for me, at least for now.

            Comment

            • RC Vikings
              Known Heterosexual
              • Nov 2008
              • 8789

              #1116
              Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              I tend to believe that so much of what we have to go on here on earth revolves around faith. And while there is a lot of doctrine that gets flung around, ultimately (to me, at least) it comes down to the very basic concept of a) do you believe that God exists?, and b) if he does exist, do you trust him?

              And that's it. And I've decided that I do believe He exists (though I admit to not knowing what that looks like all the time), and I've decided that if He is God, and if I believe He cares about me - and the rest of humanity - then I have to trust Him. And that's it.

              So I trust Him that there will be punishment for those who deserve it - whether that be in this life or the next. And I trust Him that He will be fair. And I trust Him that He knows more about what's going on and what needs to happen - and He knows what He's doing when He either decides to intervene or decides not to. And I've seen times when both have happened - times when I know He intervened, and times when I wish He would've but He didn't.

              When I find myself getting caught up in moments like this - with questions about why did God allow this person who was in a position of authority do bad things, why weren't they stopped, why wasn't it revealed when he was called, or so many other "why" questions - I always come back to this one thought - that I really think goes well with what I highlighted in Wuap's quote above.

              If we believe that existence is eternal - and that our spirits or intelligences or whatever have been around forever before this life and will exist forever after this life - then EVERYTHING we think and do right now is based on a very limited amount of knowledge. And things that we might think are a pretty big deal right now - may ultimately prove to not be a big deal at all. Things that we may perceive as immensely harmful right now - He may see as akin to kids on the playground skinning a knee or scraping their hand from a fall on the sidewalk. Some injuries might be more serious - like a broken bone from falling from a swing. But he may see them in a very different light than we do.

              I know someone is going to misconstrue this and interpret it as if I'm saying that these harms are no big deal. And that is certainly NOT what I'm saying. I've worked in Child Protective Services and currently work in the Foster Care System. I've seen some of the worst of the worst when it comes to abuse and neglect of children - of all kinds. From my perspective we are responsible to do everything within our power to protect children from harm.

              I'm simply saying that God has a much more eternal perspective than we do, and has a much better understanding of why he allows things to happen. We try to explain it in a way that makes sense to us - but the reality is that maybe it never will. At least never while we're here in the midst of Earth life. This is such a short tiny blip on the timeline of eternity.

              I remember once taking my 6 month old child for a doctor's visit and seeing her cry out in pain as the doctor gave her an immunization - and then look up at me as if to ask "why did you let this happen to me! Why did you let them hurt me like this!" And all I could think was that she doesn't understand it now, but she needs those immunizations. Later I wondered if God doesn't have a similar thought as he hears us ask him "why did you let this happen to me?" I don't want this to be construed as if I'm saying that abuse and neglect are like immunizations. I'm simply saying that just like my 6 month old daughter didn't, and wasn't capable of, understanding. We may not have the perspective that allows us to be capable of understanding either.

              So I stick with faith. And I do my best to trust in God. That HE knows why He allows these things to happen. And that has to be enough for me, at least for now.
              Thanks for that.

              Comment

              • Northwestcoug
                Cocked and Loaded
                • May 2011
                • 18016

                #1117
                Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Scott. Real baller that Scott. The dad from that movie still pops up on TV now and then. And occasionally in a movie.
                We were watching the 'Office' episode last night where Pam and Jim get married, and guess who was Pam's father?
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

                Comment

                • Donuthole
                  Official Outgayer
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 25266

                  #1118
                  Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  We were watching the 'Office' episode last night where Pam and Jim get married, and guess who was Pam's father?

                  Swish!
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                  There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                  Comment

                  • RC Vikings
                    Known Heterosexual
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 8789

                    #1119
                    Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    Someone tell me my mission president... August 1978. Our little group going to Oklahoma consisted of Elder Nelson, Elder Oliver, and Elder Green and myself.
                    If you went through SLC it was Pres Bird. Tried to scare the hell out of everybody.

                    Comment

                    • Pelado
                      Bald not naked
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 21139

                      #1120
                      Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      I tend to believe that so much of what we have to go on here on earth revolves around faith. And while there is a lot of doctrine that gets flung around, ultimately (to me, at least) it comes down to the very basic concept of a) do you believe that God exists?, and b) if he does exist, do you trust him?

                      And that's it. And I've decided that I do believe He exists (though I admit to not knowing what that looks like all the time), and I've decided that if He is God, and if I believe He cares about me - and the rest of humanity - then I have to trust Him. And that's it.

                      So I trust Him that there will be punishment for those who deserve it - whether that be in this life or the next. And I trust Him that He will be fair. And I trust Him that He knows more about what's going on and what needs to happen - and He knows what He's doing when He either decides to intervene or decides not to. And I've seen times when both have happened - times when I know He intervened, and times when I wish He would've but He didn't.

                      When I find myself getting caught up in moments like this - with questions about why did God allow this person who was in a position of authority do bad things, why weren't they stopped, why wasn't it revealed when he was called, or so many other "why" questions - I always come back to this one thought - that I really think goes well with what I highlighted in Wuap's quote above.

                      If we believe that existence is eternal - and that our spirits or intelligences or whatever have been around forever before this life and will exist forever after this life - then EVERYTHING we think and do right now is based on a very limited amount of knowledge. And things that we might think are a pretty big deal right now - may ultimately prove to not be a big deal at all. Things that we may perceive as immensely harmful right now - He may see as akin to kids on the playground skinning a knee or scraping their hand from a fall on the sidewalk. Some injuries might be more serious - like a broken bone from falling from a swing. But he may see them in a very different light than we do.

                      I know someone is going to misconstrue this and interpret it as if I'm saying that these harms are no big deal. And that is certainly NOT what I'm saying. I've worked in Child Protective Services and currently work in the Foster Care System. I've seen some of the worst of the worst when it comes to abuse and neglect of children - of all kinds. From my perspective we are responsible to do everything within our power to protect children from harm.

                      I'm simply saying that God has a much more eternal perspective than we do, and has a much better understanding of why he allows things to happen. We try to explain it in a way that makes sense to us - but the reality is that maybe it never will. At least never while we're here in the midst of Earth life. This is such a short tiny blip on the timeline of eternity.

                      I remember once taking my 6 month old child for a doctor's visit and seeing her cry out in pain as the doctor gave her an immunization - and then look up at me as if to ask "why did you let this happen to me! Why did you let them hurt me like this!" And all I could think was that she doesn't understand it now, but she needs those immunizations. Later I wondered if God doesn't have a similar thought as he hears us ask him "why did you let this happen to me?" I don't want this to be construed as if I'm saying that abuse and neglect are like immunizations. I'm simply saying that just like my 6 month old daughter didn't, and wasn't capable of, understanding. We may not have the perspective that allows us to be capable of understanding either.

                      So I stick with faith. And I do my best to trust in God. That HE knows why He allows these things to happen. And that has to be enough for me, at least for now.
                      I'll probably think more about this post this weekend than anything said from the conference center.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69687

                        #1121
                        Great post, Eddie. Thank you.

                        BTW, my wife is taking a religion class at BYU on the Restoration. Instructor is Anthony Sweat. He does a fantastic job - I am very impressed how thorough he is regarding multiple accounts of the first vision, seer stones, polygamy, etc. Recently they had an apostle from the RLDS church come and speak to the class. In the follow up to that lecture, they discussed the fake JSIII blessing document that Mark Hoffman created. She and I were discussing that and had the following convo:

                        Me: "Did you know that some people lost faith over those fake documents?"
                        Her: "Why?"
                        Me: "They thought a prophet of god should not have been duped."
                        Her: "Really? They think he is a mindreader?"
                        Me: "Something like that I guess. Some of these same folks are upset that the Bishop guy was called to be the MTC leader, given that callings are supposed to be guided by inspiration."
                        Her: "Wow. What about this guy's agency? Do they think he was predestined to do those things?"

                        I just shrugged my shoulders and left it at that.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69687

                          #1122
                          Abused woman officially files suit against the LDS church.

                          A woman who alleges the then-president of the LDS Missionary Training Center raped her sued The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Wednesday.


                          Her name is McKenna Denson.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • Color Me Badd Fan
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 12519

                            #1123
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Abused woman officially files suit against the LDS church.

                            A woman who alleges the then-president of the LDS Missionary Training Center raped her sued The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Wednesday.


                            Her name is McKenna Denson.
                            How does this possibly fit within the statute of limitations?
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                            Comment

                            • Pelado
                              Bald not naked
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 21139

                              #1124
                              Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                              How does this possibly fit within the statute of limitations?
                              I'm not sure how statute of limitations works in a civil case. If it matters, then she's probably basing the case on more recent actions or inactions (Church not investigating Bishop, etc.) to fall within the statute.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

                              Comment

                              • Topper
                                Pre-Historic Man
                                • Nov 2011
                                • 11764

                                #1125
                                Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                I'm not sure how statute of limitations works in a civil case. If it matters, then she's probably basing the case on more recent actions or inactions (Church not investigating Bishop, etc.) to fall within the statute.
                                In these cases, courts have used creative means to extend the statutes of limitations. A fair and reasonable interpretation would not consider the cases to remain alive, but "bad facts make bad law."
                                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                                Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                                Comment

                                Working...