Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Nope, you didn't.
    You talkin' Deism?
    Molinism?
    Prelapsarian Calvinism?
    Infralapsarian Calvinism?
    Postlapsarian Calvinism?
    Thomas Aquinas and God existing outside of time and seeing then and now and tomorrow as one?
    Occamism?
    Theodicy?
    Jakob Böhme?
    Or are you just being a bitch about an apostrophe?

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Nailed it!
    Keep on mockin' in the free world.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      Prelapsarian
      yikes this is a family sports chat blog please keep it clean
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        yikes this is a family sports chat blog please keep it clean
        pre-, not pro-, bro.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
          Doesn't the merit of what you have written above depend upon how you define criticism? Is criticism, per your ideology, censure or denunciation, or do you truly mean disapproval, based on perceived faults? If the latter, how then do you define faults and mistakes? Are there some faults and mistakes, which are more grave than others, or are all faults and mistakes the same in degree?

Further, what is the standard by which faults and mistakes, worthy of criticism, are measured; is any such standard universal or is it unique to you, and therefore not universal to everyone? It's wonderful, if not comforting, to believe my standard is the standard by which everyone else around me measures faults and mistakes, but is such thinking truly rational?

The real problem then is not that leaders are not criticized, but rather our perceptions concerning what it means to criticize leaders. In the context of faith in the power of discernment through inspiration being available to those who process priesthood keys, what does it mean to criticize ... if the intent is to compel change, in the face of obvious human faults and mistakes, are we not actually referring to counsel, rather than criticism? And must we also not allow for time (long suffering) to be a factor in how effective counsel can be in bring about pertinent change?
          It is an interesting discussion, but let's look at a practical decision where the leaders got it wrong.

The policy prohibiting blacks from holding and exercising the priesthood. If you view being a member a good thing and having the priesthood a good thing, then think of all those who could have been included in the LDS Church but weren't because of this monumentally wrong decision.

And then remember those who went against Church counsel and were excommunicated.

In the abstract what you and other apologists write has appeal, but in the times when it really mattered, the LDS Church lost opportunities for growth in communities cou that could have benefited from LDS policies and practices.

Furthermore, Prop 8 stunted the Mormon Moment. One moment, the LDS Church looked at a pinnacle, the next moment, it is hated and loathed and rejected as much or more than Muslims in this country.

So how can bottom dwelling members effect any change in a top down organization?
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
            Sure. Even if they are wrong you shouldn't be a dickhead about it.
            Bingo.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Keep on mockin' in the free world.
              Sorry, but your post didn't exactly seem crafted to elicit a sincere response. It is neither rewarding nor productive to debate you when you are angry.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Bingo.
                But of course they should get passes for being dickheads.
                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                  It is written, if thine enemy is a dickhead, be thou a dickhead.

But I say unto you, be not a dickhead, neither be thou erect when thou art riled and in passion's throe, but be soft and yielding, ever wading in cool pools.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                    It is an interesting discussion, but let's look at a practical decision where the leaders got it wrong.

The policy prohibiting blacks from holding and exercising the priesthood. If you view being a member a good thing and having the priesthood a good thing, then think of all those who could have been included in the LDS Church but weren't because of this monumentally wrong decision.

And then remember those who went against Church counsel and were excommunicated.

In the abstract what you and other apologists write has appeal, but in the times when it really mattered, the LDS Church lost opportunities for growth in communities cou that could have benefited from LDS policies and practices.

Furthermore, Prop 8 stunted the Mormon Moment. One moment, the LDS Church looked at a pinnacle, the next moment, it is hated and loathed and rejected as much or more than Muslims in this country.

So how can bottom dwelling members effect any change in a top down organization?
                    Your 'evidences' presuppose we know the beginning from the end or vice versa. The reality is, we do not know the beginning from the end, precisely because we have no idea what may have happened had certain decisions not been made. Again, perspective is the problem—your perspective on each of the situations you cite above is unequivocally your perspective and not the perspective.

The hard truth is the church has grown and continues to grow, despite your contestations.

Further, are we a top down organization, or bottom up? Is my salvation, or yours dependent upon the current prophet. Emphatically, no. Do the brethren micro-manage every region, Stake and Ward? Emphatically, no. The body of the church manages the body of the church in very intimate, local terms. Where we need prophets is in providing the parameters wherein which our efforts can be correlated and maximized. How can one think outside a box, unless one knows what the box is in the first place?

Comment

• Just when you thought this discussion couldn’t get any more banal, Topper gets out of spousal prison and joins the debate.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                        Ha. Marty. You are funny sometimes.

This not Bud's for you -->

Comment

Appeal to Eyring Fallacy... you lose.
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            Somewhat along the infallibility lines is the following passage from the Gospel Principles lesson this past week:

“The Lord will never permit me or any other man who stands as President of this Church to lead you astray. It is not in the programme. It is not in the mind of God. If I were to attempt that, the Lord would remove me out of my place”
                            I intended to skip over it, but the ward mission leader, an older, orthodox type, highlighted it as what he considers the most important passage in the whole lesson.
                            Was it oxcoug that used the above quote to argue that Joseph Smith was essentially "taken out" by God because instituting polygamy was bullshit? Maybe it was someone else. In any case, you could have some fun bringing that up in your Gospel Principles class.
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              Was it oxcoug that used the above quote to argue that Joseph Smith was essentially "taken out" by God because instituting polygamy was bullshit? Maybe it was someone else. In any case, you could have some fun bringing that up in your Gospel Principles class.
                              Adam said that God killed Harold B Lee after a short run to make way for Spencer W Kimball so he could lift the ban. Good times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                                I may have said it at one point, and Lebowski may have bowled a 300 with his eye rolls. I suppose others could have come to the same logical conclusion... I don't claim it as an original thought.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X