No announcement yet.

Ordain Beards!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It took me a while to realize that this thread wasn't advocating giving the priesthood to women used as props by gay men. I just figured it was a subset of the larger OW umbrella group.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      We're usually about 30 years behind on these things. When did beards stop being a symbol of hippie movement and antisocial behavior? 70's or 80's? We're probably about due to make a change.
      The right time to end the ridiculous beard ban was the the late 70s through the 80s. Now's not a good time because of the hipster affection for bad facial hair, there will be pushback.

I wonder who the BYU bureaucrat was that decided to enforce the ban against one day old stubble at the testing center. One time, I stayed up until 2am studying for a test, woke up and studied some more and went straight to the testing center and was going to shower after the test. I was forced to shave with a crappy bic before taking the test, they just couldn't tolerate one day of growth.

As a sidenote, I was talking to my dad today about how I don't care to watch GC intently. I know it's not a terribly important, but the extreme conformity on petty things bothers me, and it's especially bad at GC. The cadence of the talks, the permanent grins on the female speakers' faces, use of the same phrases and banalities throughout. I remember on my mission looking at older 8x11 pictures form the 70s and early 80s of the Quorum of the 12 (the same portraits used in the GA chart that's in the Ensign for the GC editions) and noticing that every member of the Q of the 12 that had glasses had the exact same frames. The pictures dated back to when the thick black frames were still being worn by non-hipsters, and were in fact worn by the more stuffy, traditional, non-hip groups in society.

The beard ban exemplifies this extreme conformity. There's no point to it, except it's just another means by which some members choose to distinguish themselves more from the unwashed masses.
      Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 10-03-2014, 05:03 PM.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

OB movement picking up steam. NY Times, baby!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/us...sity.html?_r=0

Excellent essay highlighting the absurdity of how the rule is applied. Bonus points for piling on Carrie Jenkins.

http://bycommonconsent.com/2014/11/1...ck-and-beards/
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Excellent essay highlighting the absurdity of how the rule is applied. Bonus points for piling on Carrie Jenkins.

This is good to see. The quasi-official prohibition against beards in The Church is beginning to fail in my neck of the woods. At first it was just some ALUFs trying to make a point about THE LORD'S SCHOOL, but now it is people who just think they look better with beards (and some of them do).

One of the best defenses to the facial hair hardliners is, "My wife likes it."

Sisters, step up and help us out here. We have your back on two-piece swim suits and skirts above the knee.
          We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

BYU is so weird. How did you seemingly normal people survive? And Sooner too?!

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
              This is good to see. The quasi-official prohibition against beards in The Church is beginning to fail in my neck of the woods. At first it was just some ALUFs trying to make a point about THE LORD'S SCHOOL, but now it is people who just think they look better with beards (and some of them do).

One of the best defenses to the facial hair hardliners is, "My wife likes it."

Sisters, step up and help us out here. We have your back on two-piece swim suits and skirts above the knee.
              So in other words, the ALUFs blazed the beard trail for the lds in your region? You are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                So in other words, the ALUFs blazed the beard trail for the lds in your region? You are welcome.
                Next the ALUFS will be bringing near beer to the potluck. The possibilities are endless.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                  LAU (the patron saint of ALUFs everywhere) supports the beard ban.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                    on those issues, i only have the backs of certain sisters. sjbh.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

On which message board? You have to be specific whith what he says and where.
                      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        on those issues, i only have the backs of certain sisters. sjbh.
                        Understood. Not every sister is a Helen Mar Kimball or Fanny Alger. In the spirit of Zion, though, I'm willing to take the good with the not-so-good. If it takes a 400 lb mastadonian in yoga pants to lead the way, I'll gladly avert my eyes and follow in the track.

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                          Yes, link please. LA's said some funny things in his day, but supporting BYU on one of its most embarassing policies? That would be like Sooner arguing that cold fushion hasn't been disproven.

Comment

Well, maybe its just the New Order ALUFs.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                              Yes, link please. LA's said some funny things in his day, but supporting BYU on one of its most embarassing policies? That would be like Sooner arguing that cold fushion hasn't been disproven.
                              See the OP for this thread. He was defending the beard ban on FB when the initial story broke.

I can't believe you find this surprising. Such is the tortured existence of the ALUF. Mocking BYU while simultaneously supporting the church and leaders who manage it.

Comment

You have boardmail!
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X