Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother in Heaven: https://www.lds.org/topics/mother-in-heaven?lang=eng

Or is it Mothers in Heaven?

Also, this one seems new as well... Women, the Priesthood and the Temple: https://www.lds.org/topics/joseph-sm...women?lang=eng

Sorry OW'ers... you got it all wrong:

Two aspects of Joseph Smith’s teachings to the women of the Relief Society may be unfamiliar to members of the Church today. First is his use of language associated with priesthood. In organizing the Relief Society, Joseph spoke of “ordain[ing]” women and said that Relief Society officers would “preside over the Society.”23 He also declared, “I now turn the key to you in the name of God.”24

These statements indicate that Joseph Smith delegated priesthood authority to women in the Relief Society.25 Joseph’s language can be more fully understood in historical context. During the 19th century, Latter-day Saints used the term keys to refer at various times to authority, knowledge, or temple ordinances.26 Likewise, Mormons sometimes used the term ordain in a broad sense, often interchangeably with set apart and not always referring to priesthood office.27 On these points, Joseph’s actions illuminate the meaning of his words: neither Joseph Smith, nor any person acting on his behalf, nor any of his successors conferred the Aaronic or Melchizedek Priesthood on women or ordained women to priesthood office.
    It was all just a 19th century misunderstanding.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      Mother in Heaven: https://www.lds.org/topics/mother-in-heaven?lang=eng

Also, this one seems new as well... Women, the Priesthood and the Temple: https://www.lds.org/topics/joseph-sm...women?lang=eng

. . .
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Mother in Heaven: https://www.lds.org/topics/mother-in-heaven?lang=eng

Summary.

1) Joseph Smith didn't mean what he said
        2) We have regressed in our treatment of women and their involvement in the religion and that is a good thing.

I saved people having to read the women and priesthood essay.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
          Summary.

1) Joseph Smith didn't mean what he said
          2) We have regressed in our treatment of women and their involvement in the religion and that is a good thing.

I saved people having to read the women and priesthood essay.
          it's definitely the weakest of the essays. It will take a lot to walk back this one, which I think will eventually happen.
          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• What do you make of this?
            http://www.mormonlink.com/archaeolog...er-day-saints/

Comment

• It's a hoax. I believe the story has been posted on here before. Uncle ted can tell you what those plates really are.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                It's a hoax. I believe the story has been posted on here before. Uncle ted can tell you what those plates really are.
                http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1194864

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                  It's a hoax. I believe the story has been posted on here before. Uncle ted can tell you what those plates really are.
                  Uncle Ted is on vacation. He can figure it out for himself.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Uncle Ted is on vacation. He can figure it out for himself.
                    Your out of office notification is a bit curt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      Your out of office notification is a bit curt.
                      Yeah, who do we contact if our matter is urgent?
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• I appreciate the good folks of Mormon link taking full ownership of the article after being called out on it again and again in the comments.

Folks.... We saw the article, it looked interesting. So we posted it - that's it.

The story has not been verified and has not be confirmed to be accurate. Appreciate all those who take this for what it's worth and Morm on... We LOVE the Gospel as much as the next member.
                        I, for one, will be Morming on.
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Elder Ballard:

"Gone are the days when a student asks an honest question and teacher responded, 'don't worry about it.' Gone are the days when a student raised a sincere concern, and a teacher bore his or her testimony as a response intended to avoid the issue."
                          "Let me warn you not to pass along faith promoting or unsubstantiated rumors or outdated understandings and explanations of our doctrines or practices from the past."
                          "Consult the works of recognized, thoughtful and faithful LDS scholars to ensure you do not teach things that are untrue, out of date, or odd and quirky."
                          "Master the content of the Gospel Topics essays."
                          https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/watch...16/02?lang=eng
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            That's really interesting, especially coming from MRB, especially this part*:

Gone are the days when a student raised a sincere concern, and a teacher bore his or her testimony as a response intended to avoid the issue.
                            I'm sure I am not the only one who, more than just seeing this used, was taught as a missionary that it was the right and proper way to handle concerns.

* And when I say "especially this part", it of course means especially of all of the parts that I read, which to this point have only been the ones that the Dude quoted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                              That's really interesting, especially coming from MRB, especially this part*:

I'm sure I am not the only one who, more than just seeing this used, was taught as a missionary that it was the right and proper way to handle concerns.

* And when I say "especially this part", it of course means especially of all of the parts that I read, which to this point have only been the ones that the Dude quoted.
                              I think this new approach by Ballard is a definite improvement. He has broadcast the new essays to the teachers of the church. This will improve the general knowledge of the future of the church. But I agree, there is still a point with every one of these issues where the final word is a sincere testimony that the church is true. It just moves the testimony bearing back one step. Polygamy: yes it was messy and our leaders didn't get much help from God, but it was from God. Blacks and the priesthood: Our prophets were products of their time, and they did seek God's will, but it wasn't until 1979 that He decided it was time. Book of Abraham: JS couldn't translate Egyptian and the whole facsimile thing is pretty embarrassing, but the book is from God. And on.

Will this work, as in preparing the future of the church to deal with the controversies? I think it will. I believed a lot of strange things, mostly because my parents and family believed it. And now that the church has acknowledged the controversies openly, some members who have doubt will at least feel relieved the secrecy is over. And now they will have some explanations for those controversies, albeit very faithful ones. I do think that there will still be people who will reject the church's official explanations and still leave the church. But in the numbers game, I think more will stay.

I found this language extremely interesting:

"We give medical inoculations to our precious missionaries before sending them into the mission field so they will be protected against diseases that can harm or even kill them,” he said. “In a similar fashion, please, before you send them into the world, inoculate your students by providing faithful, thoughtful and accurate interpretation of gospel doctrine, the scriptures, our history and those topics that are sometimes misunderstood.”
                              I know we all know the main reason the essays were published: inoculate the future generations. It's even in the thread title. But I found it quite jarring that an apostle openly acknowledged it.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                                I know we all know the main reason the essays were published: inoculate the future generations. It's even in the thread title. But I found it quite jarring that an apostle openly acknowledged it.
                                He's on here. Who do you think he is?

Comment

Working...
                                X