Church begins inoculation efforts on historical issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nakoma View Post
    Maybe you can update this wiki page with the latest DNA results. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_Joseph_Smith

Joseph managed to get Emma pregnant quite a few times, so he wasn't shooting blanks. I just assumed if Joseph had 33 other wives who he knew in the biblical sense, he wasn't shooting blanks and would have had an abundant posterity. Maybe Joseph doesn't have any other known children outside Emma because he was utilizing the withdrawal method with his additional wives ala Onan and spilling it on the ground.
    Which is probably why God allow him to be killed by a mob in his prime. There is a reason that good ol' brother Brigham lived to a ripe old age... he wasn't pulling out.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
      Which is probably why God allow him to be killed by a mob in his prime. There is a reason that good ol' brother Brigham lived to a ripe old age... he wasn't pulling out.
      0 for 33 isn't a good record for Joseph after getting Emma pregnant at least 11 times. Brigham had a much better record.

Comment

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Not sure how this is. But as crass as it sounds, Sully has framed the issue correctly. If you believe polygamy was divinely instituted, either JS or BY practiced polygamy correctly. And it can't be both.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            come on!. I thought it was funny
            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
              come on!. I thought it was funny
              Lightning is going to strike our server!
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                Not sure how this is. But as crass as it sounds, Sully has framed the issue correctly. If you believe polygamy was divinely instituted, either JS or BY practiced polygamy correctly. And it can't be both.
                Yes the sarcasm was meant to be high. Sorry for the crassness of the post but I think the argument of no offspring = no sex is ridiculous and totally misses the mark on polygamy. He was marrying young women and other men's wives in a secret 'eternal' ceremony that the women understood to mean that they were Joseph's reward in this life or the next. That alone, whether or not he had sex with them, should be the concern.
                Last edited by Sullyute; 08-18-2015, 02:42 PM.
                "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• I thinks it's more odd that someone would marry 33 women and not have sex with them than marrying 33 women and have sex with them. The argument that he didn't consummate the marriages is weird and constrained. The lack of evidence to the contrary isn't evidence that it didn't happen. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that he had many kids with women other than Emma.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    I thinks it's more odd that someone would marry 33 women and not have sex with them than marrying 33 women and have sex with them. The argument that he didn't consummate the marriages is weird and constrained. The lack of evidence to the contrary isn't evidence that it didn't happen. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that he had many kids with women other than Emma.
                    Far as I know the angel with the sword didn't say anything about having sex with the women. Only having to marry them, right?
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      I thinks it's more odd that someone would marry 33 women and not have sex with them than marrying 33 women and have sex with them. The argument that he didn't consummate the marriages is weird and constrained. The lack of evidence to the contrary isn't evidence that it didn't happen. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that he had many kids with women other than Emma.
                      I don't know, 33 women requires a lot of time and coordinating. I have a large collection of tv shows and movies downloaded on my computer, but despite my desire, I just haven't been able to get around to watching very many of them.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I'd like to know how many of the 33 were married to other men as well, either before/after/same time.

Dimensionally it doesn't matter, all of us are sealed to thousands of women, and our wives are sealed to thousands of men, thus the plurality of marriage in the hereafter.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                          I'd like to know how many of the 33 were married to other men as well, either before/after/same time.

Dimensionally it doesn't matter, all of us are sealed to thousands of women, and our wives are sealed to thousands of men, thus the plurality of marriage in the hereafter.
                          If it doesn't matter dimensionally, why worry about it in this linear world?
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

Yes the sarcasm was meant to be high. Sorry for the crassness of the post but I think the argument of no offspring = no sex is ridiculous and totally misses the mark on polygamy. He was marrying young women and other men's wives in a secret 'eternal' ceremony that the women understood to mean that they were Joseph's reward in this life or the next. That alone, whether or not he had sex with them, should be the concern.
                            I'm sure they were men of great faith, but what might physically happen with their respective wives and Joseph was probably more concerning to them than what might happen with an eternal, but platonic sealing to their respective wives. Just my guess.

Comment

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=NV1CSjxbfqQ
                              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• The "Race and the Priesthood" essay recently revised. Some very interesting changes/additions.

http://bycommonconsent.com/2015/10/0...l-topic-essay/

Comment

Working...
                                X