No announcement yet.

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The recent trib article sheds more light. As JL said, looks like it was 1 person. But it was over a two year period that he allegedly repeatedly accessed Orem and Provo PD databases, and shared info with HCO. When notified, the BYU PD didn't conduct an internal investigation. And then they failed to respond to a subpoena.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/02/...nant-with-byu/
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      The recent trib article sheds more light. As JL said, looks like it was 1 person. But it was over a two year period that he allegedly repeatedly accessed Orem and Provo PD databases, and shared info with HCO. When notified, the BYU PD didn't conduct an internal investigation. And then they failed to respond to a subpoena.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/02/...nant-with-byu/
      And it was at the request of the Honor Code office, they are the worst.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        From the link:
        Thank you. Seems like a sketchy concept that reduces police accountability to the public.

Comment

• funk is actually right here, fwiw
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
            The BYU Police using law enforcement resources to run down honor code matters is very bad, if true.

I found the BYU Police heavy handed when I was there, and I found the Honor Code Office to be a haven for zealots.

I wasn't involved with either one, by the grace of Saint Lavell.
            The only run-in I ever had with the BYU police was when I was in high school.

I helped a girl carry some of her stuff into Heritage Halls at around midnight. A police officer was spying on us, accosted me as I left and said he could charge me with trespassing.

He wanted me to show him my drivers license and I told him that was BS — thank goodness he let me walk away without tasing me or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
              The only run-in I ever had with the BYU police was when I was in high school.

I helped a girl carry some of her stuff into Heritage Halls at around midnight. A police officer was spying on us, accosted me as I left and said he could charge me with trespassing.

He wanted me to show him my drivers license and I told him that was BS — thank goodness he let me walk away without tasing me or something.
              My only run-in was the summer after high school but before I started at BYU. I was visiting some friends from high school, at least one of which was attending the summer term. It was pretty late and we were being pretty loud as we walked. The cop stopped us, told us to keep it down, and then gave us Jolly Ranchers (not a euphemism).

We were glad he didn't stop us when we were passing through the Marriott Center parking lot. Is public urination against the law?
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                My only run-in was the summer after high school but before I started at BYU. I was visiting some friends from high school, at least one of which was attending the summer term. It was pretty late and we were being pretty loud as we walked. The cop stopped us, told us to keep it down, and then gave us Jolly Ranchers (not a euphemism).

We were glad he didn't stop us when we were passing through the Marriott Center parking lot. Is public urination against the law?
                Definitely not on BYU's campus. It is encouraged!

Comment

• https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...4c6746e92.html

From a very friendly source to BYU, the Provo Daily Herald:

1) BYU Police Department accessed records for 18 months;
                  2) BYU Police gave the records to both the honor code and the Dean of Students
                  3) BYU police accessed records 2,300 times in an 18 month period (obviously some of these and maybe a majority were for legitimate purposes)
                  4) Access to records sharply dropped off when the university police were put under investigation

I think one question that needs to be answered to really see the culpability of BYU as an institution here is if the Honor Code Office of the Dean of Students requested the information. If they did, that is really bad and would explain a lot about BYU refusing to answer the subpoena and wanting to bury this information as much as possible. If it was BYU police initiating it, it doesn't look as bad for BYU as an institution, but there is still concern that the HCO and Dean of Students freely took this information and used it.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                    https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...4c6746e92.html

From a very friendly source to BYU, the Provo Daily Herald:

1) BYU Police Department accessed records for 18 months;
                    2) BYU Police gave the records to both the honor code and the Dean of Students
                    3) BYU police accessed records 2,300 times in an 18 month period (obviously some of these and maybe a majority were for legitimate purposes)
                    4) Access to records sharply dropped off when the university police were put under investigation

I think one question that needs to be answered to really see the culpability of BYU as an institution here is if the Honor Code Office of the Dean of Students requested the information. If they did, that is really bad and would explain a lot about BYU refusing to answer the subpoena and wanting to bury this information as much as possible. If it was BYU police initiating it, it doesn't look as bad for BYU as an institution, but there is still concern that the HCO and Dean of Students freely took this information and used it.
                    Sounds really bad and definitely worthy of decertification.

Why does the HCO need these records anyway? That office needs to be eliminated. Looks like this all happened under President Worthen. It will be interesting to see how he fixes this.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      Sounds really bad and definitely worthy of decertification.

Why does the HCO need these records anyway? That office needs to be eliminated. Looks like this all happened under President Worthen. It will be interesting to see how he fixes this.
                      Agreed, the HCO needs to go. BYU students living church standards doesn't need to have anything to do with there existing such an office.

It must have been really fun in the Pres. Wilkinson days when he was known to hire students to work for the HCO to go out and trick other students into breaking it so they could be reported.
                      Last edited by BlueK; 03-01-2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                        Agreed, the HCO needs to go.
                        Disagree. Can you imagine how insufferable BYU would be if beards were allowed again?

For example, BYU professors are already uncomfortably smug. Now imagine that same arsehole with a beard. No thank you.
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Don't even think of trying to show up to play in your intramural football game tonight if you haven't shaved today!

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                            Disagree. Can you imagine how insufferable BYU would be if beards were allowed again?

For example, BYU professors are already uncomfortably smug. Now imagine that same arsehole with a beard. No thank you.
                            Couldn't agree more. I think of my BIL and hope that beards continue to be forever banned at BYU.
                            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

One of the more rational posts in this irrational discussion.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Even worse, can you imagine Walter Sobchak as a current BYU student.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X