Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I used to be critical of treks because our stake went overboard. No non-period clothing was permitted. Initially, they were going to prohibit deodorant and other modern items, but finally they came to their senses. My daughter went last spring and had a pretty good experience, but my new stake did some crazy crap too. They took away some kids shoes amd made them walk barefoot, they would require the young men to carry "injured" Trekkers.
    WTF?
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

• Yeah. The need to "one up" the experience leads to some crazy shit.

I bet our ancestors are watching on wondering what is wrong with us? Why would people want to reenact their misery?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        I still think it's crazy to do this in June in Texas and I guess also Oklahoma. It would be fine if everyone was in great shape and was drinking enough water and chugging electrolytes and carbs while also wearing light clothing. But to have some of these fat kids and adults wearing long wool clothing in that heat while also exerting themselves for the first time in a long time is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        but how else can the stake force a manufactured spiritual experience on a bunch of kids who don't really care about being there? when i went on trek they had a guy playing joseph smith get "kidnapped" while giving a sermon, complete with guns shooting blanks. what well adjusted adult thinks that's helpful?
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          but how else can the stake force a manufactured spiritual experience on a bunch of kids who don't really care about being there? when i went on trek they had a guy playing joseph smith get "kidnapped" while giving a sermon, complete with guns shooting blanks. what well adjusted adult thinks that's helpful?
          If the lynch mob didn't make the tar themselves from locally-grown pine trees that they cut down with crude axes, and if they didn't pluck the feathers from free-range chickens or geese that were from breeds that were normally kept in the 19th Century by Midwestern settlers, then the whole thing is fake and, ultimately, meaningless.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            If the lynch mob didn't make the tar themselves from locally-grown pine trees that they cut down with crude axes, and if they didn't pluck the feathers from free-range chickens or geese that were from breeds that were normally kept in the 19th Century by Midwestern settlers, then the whole thing is fake and, ultimately, meaningless.
            totally agree. though they did get some child cadavers and made us bury them on the trail, so that was pretty authentic.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

totally agree. though they did get some child cadavers and made us bury them on the trail, so that was pretty authentic.
              Had to do something about the overcrowded nursery. It was either that or find more people who would accept the calling.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                Yeah. The need to "one up" the experience leads to some crazy shit.

I bet our ancestors are watching on wondering what is wrong with us? Why would people want to reenact their misery?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                Mrs. PAC and I were a Ma and Pa comboa three years ago and actually enjoyed the experience (as is typical, she went overboard and published a small book for each of our "kids" with photos, narratives and quotes from each family member), but many times we imagined our forebears standing at the side of the road declaring, "WTH are you doing? We did that so you wouldn't have to. Go home, lounge by the pool, and honor us with a virgin pina colada. And the virgin part is optional." I'm quite sure that's what they would have wanted.

Comment

Didn't they know Joseph Smith was long dead before the trek west? Shame on your stake.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Mrs. PAC and I were a Ma and Pa comboa three years ago and actually enjoyed the experience (as is typical, she went overboard and published a small book for each of our "kids" with photos, narratives and quotes from each family member), but many times we imagined our forebears standing at the side of the road declaring, "WTH are you doing? We did that so you wouldn't have to. Go home, lounge by the pool, and honor us with a virgin pina colada. And the virgin part is optional." I'm quite sure that's what they would have wanted.
                    Don't tempt me with another photoshop job!

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Out stake just got approval to do a week in Carthage Jail this January! It's going to be amazing.

We considered going to California and making kids build their own ships, but the debate between the "regulars" and the "tight like into a dish-ers" kept getting pretty ugly.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Our youth leaders knew they couldn't pull that shit with us. Early on my buddies and I got kicked out of a youth conference activity for laughing at the JS assassination reenactment. After hearing the musical number at Carthage I'm convinced Joseph requested Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief to make death a welcome reprieve.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                            Don't tempt me with another photoshop job!

If you don't add PAC in a speedo by the pool with a virgin pc, everyone will either think you are a coward or not skilled enough to do it. #sjbh
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                              I used to be critical of treks because our stake went overboard. No non-period clothing was permitted. Initially, they were going to prohibit deodorant and other modern items, but finally they came to their senses. My daughter went last spring and had a pretty good experience, but my new stake did some crazy crap too. They took away some kids shoes amd made them walk barefoot, they would require the young men to carry "injured" Trekkers.
                              Where would you even go to buy pioneer clothes?
                              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                                Where would you even go to buy pioneer clothes?
                                Our stake gives out information on how to make them. It is weird, but it's also fun for the youth. It's somewhat low key for our stake in that it's only a 48 hour thing in decent weather and they all eat pretty good food. There are dramatizations, and the youth are told upfront that the majority of pioneers crossed the plains in wagons or on the train.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X