Something funny that happened this weekend. Missionary related.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Blueintheface
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 15382

    #16
    Congrats, Swimmer. Any disapprovers in attendance? Follow up question: any mention of where the Wasatch fault runs in relation to Eagle Mountain?
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

    "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

    Comment

    • Swimmer
      The "Open Book" Member
      • Feb 2009
      • 180

      #17
      Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
      Congrats. I can appreciate the courage it's taken for you to set things right in your life. Did Pepper Saltzman do your wedding?
      Ha ha...not quite, but that would have been cool. It was some short lady in Hesperia, California.
      “According to the teachings of Buddhism, the worst thing that you can do to your karma is to say to someone else that their faith is bad”

      Comment

      • Swimmer
        The "Open Book" Member
        • Feb 2009
        • 180

        #18
        Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
        Congrats, Swimmer. Any disapprovers in attendance? Follow up question: any mention of where the Wasatch fault runs in relation to Eagle Mountain?
        Well...if by disapprovers you mean my family, then only one - my younger sister. My parents and 7 other siblings, who are the very definition of disapprovers did not show, but...I understand completely how difficult it must be for them. No ill will from me towards anyone that disagrees with my lifestyle.

        As for the fault...I believe it runs only one house over from where the reception was held.
        “According to the teachings of Buddhism, the worst thing that you can do to your karma is to say to someone else that their faith is bad”

        Comment

        • Blueintheface
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 15382

          #19
          Originally posted by Swimmer View Post
          Well...if by disapprovers you mean my family, then only one - my younger sister. My parents and 7 other siblings, who are the very definition of disapprovers did not show, but...I understand completely how difficult it must be for them. No ill will from me towards anyone that disagrees with my lifestyle.
          Kudos to her for attending then. Here's to hoping they all come to their senses soon!
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

          "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

          Comment

          • Walter Sobchak
            Adventurer
            • Oct 2009
            • 3815

            #20
            Your story reminds me of something somewhat funny, also missionary related. In an area I served on my mish, there were two companionships living together in an apartment... both of which served a small remote town on the edge of the mission boundary. On one pday while my comp was doing his laundry, he dropped some Gs on his way from the washing machine to the drying lines. The other junior comp exclaimed quite dramatically "Garments on the floor!" and sprinted across the apartment to save the poor wayfaring man's briefs from certain defilement. Upon witnessing this, his companion and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes Yohio-style with the same look on our faces... "dafuq?".

            Fast forward to earlier this year, I get a FB friend request from this same garment-saver. I accept. Interesting guy. He must have had quite a journey between then and now. For example, he recently posted this on his FB feed: "He said yes!" I guess he and partner are getting married, or recently have done so.

            Actually, hold on... you didn't happen to serve in 淡水 during the fall of 1989 did you? I think I would have remembered if he had been a swimmer.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

            Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

            Comment

            • Art Vandelay
              Striving for mediocrity
              • Jul 2009
              • 10516

              #21
              Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              Your story reminds me of something somewhat funny, also missionary related. In an area I served on my mish, there were two companionships living together in an apartment... both of which served a small remote town on the edge of the mission boundary. On one pday while my comp was doing his laundry, he dropped some Gs on his way from the washing machine to the drying lines. The other junior comp exclaimed quite dramatically "Garments on the floor!" and sprinted across the apartment to save the poor wayfaring man's briefs from certain defilement. Upon witnessing this, his companion and I looked at each other and rolled our eyes Yohio-style with the same look on our faces... "dafuq?".

              Fast forward to earlier this year, I get a FB friend request from this same garment-saver. I accept. Interesting guy. He must have had quite a journey between then and now. For example, he recently posted this on his FB feed: "He said yes!" I guess he and partner are getting married, or recently have done so.

              Actually, hold on... you didn't happen to serve in 淡水 during the fall of 1989 did you? I think I would have remembered if he had been a swimmer.
              Was this before or after your mission-wide movie night? Apostates!

              Comment

              • Walter Sobchak
                Adventurer
                • Oct 2009
                • 3815

                #22
                Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                before or after?
                Between.

                It was, however, after that time our district spent the night on the beach at 南方澳 to see the sunrise on Pday. One of the two fun-loving sisters in that district now gives away coloring books on Halloween instead of candy.

                Life is a strange journey.
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

                Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

                Comment

                • Swimmer
                  The "Open Book" Member
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 180

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                  Actually, hold on... you didn't happen to serve in 淡水 during the fall of 1989 did you? I think I would have remembered if he had been a swimmer.
                  I actually served in the Ohio, Akron mission in 1987. However....淡水 sounds like a wonderful place in which to be a missionary.
                  “According to the teachings of Buddhism, the worst thing that you can do to your karma is to say to someone else that their faith is bad”

                  Comment

                  • Swimmer
                    The "Open Book" Member
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 180

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                    Kudos to her for attending then. Here's to hoping they all come to their senses soon!
                    If they are never able to accept it, I will simply have to understand. It is a very difficult thing for them, and I get that. The sad part to me is that they have not chosen to meet Mar...o, and I guarantee they would absolutely love and adore him. He and my Mother would become fast friends with all the things they could talk about.
                    “According to the teachings of Buddhism, the worst thing that you can do to your karma is to say to someone else that their faith is bad”

                    Comment

                    • byu71
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22070

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Swimmer View Post
                      I actually served in the Ohio, Akron mission in 1987. However....淡水 sounds like a wonderful place in which to be a missionary.
                      Wow, are they still talking about me in Canton? I was the DL there. Alliance and Massilon and another town I can't remember right now were in the District.

                      You probably have read one of my posts where I was then transferred to Cleveland and made the ZL there. It was the Akron Zone and was split into Akron and Cleveland. The Akron ZL didn't want Cleveland so I got it.

                      As you know, Cleveland is now it's own mission. I wouldn't be presumptive enough to say I laid the groundwork for a future mission, but some might.

                      Comment

                      • Swimmer
                        The "Open Book" Member
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 180

                        #26
                        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                        Wow, are they still talking about me in Canton? I was the DL there. Alliance and Massilon and another town I can't remember right now were in the District.

                        You probably have read one of my posts where I was then transferred to Cleveland and made the ZL there. It was the Akron Zone and was split into Akron and Cleveland. The Akron ZL didn't want Cleveland so I got it.

                        As you know, Cleveland is now it's own mission. I wouldn't be presumptive enough to say I laid the groundwork for a future mission, but some might.
                        I did read that, and I understand. Nobody wanted Cleveland. Luckily, Cleveland was not in my mission, but places like Shaker Heights were. That was bad enough for me. If you can't tell, Ohio is not my favorite place to be, nor was my mission the best time of my life.
                        “According to the teachings of Buddhism, the worst thing that you can do to your karma is to say to someone else that their faith is bad”

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69689

                          #27
                          Hey Swimmer. You seem really happy now. Congrats and best wishes going forward..
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • Swimmer
                            The "Open Book" Member
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 180

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Hey Swimmer. You seem really happy now. Congrats and best wishes going forward..
                            Thank you. Everyone, and I mean everyone that knows me says the same thing. I truly have never been happier. Take this however you want, but since coming out and accepting myself for who I am, I finally know, for the first time in my life, that God truly loves me.
                            “According to the teachings of Buddhism, the worst thing that you can do to your karma is to say to someone else that their faith is bad”

                            Comment

                            • YOhio
                              Hipster Mode
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 26165

                              #29
                              Congratulations, Swimmer. Happy that you're happy!

                              Comment

                              • Paperback Writer
                                Signature won a Pulitzer
                                • Nov 2010
                                • 5211

                                #30
                                Originally posted by Swimmer View Post
                                I did read that, and I understand. Nobody wanted Cleveland. Luckily, Cleveland was not in my mission, but places like Shaker Heights were. That was bad enough for me. If you can't tell, Ohio is not my favorite place to be, nor was my mission the best time of my life.
                                I spent much of my childhood in Wooster (some while byu71 was serving near by in more distinguished areas) before moving away as a young teenager. My primary teacher told me I would be returning there some day as a missionary and I believed her. My mission call came, it wasn't Cleveland/Akron. It got changed, it still wasn't Cleveland/Akron. Just before I would earn my undergraduate and start graduate school at BYU and while I was engaged, I had a recurring dream nightmare that I was called on a mission to Cleveland. I would not graduate from BYU, would not be starting graduate school, and would not be getting married.
                                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

                                Comment

                                Working...