Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If a female tried to get into the priesthood session of GC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
    Ten?!
    My run comes to an end this Saturday. Barring a last-minute change of plans, I'll be at the good old stake center this Saturday instead of in the CC.

Comment

• While I haven't been as often as BFM, I like attending the Priesthood Session at the Conference Center partly because the seats are so much better for falling asleep than those hard, metal chairs in the gym at the stake center.
      Not that, sickos.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
        Having attended the last 10 consecutive PH sessions in the conference center, I can confirm that there are always empty seats in the upper deck of the house. The standby line fills a good portion of those empty seats but it's not usually completely full. Plus, there is overflow in the tabernacle that I doubt fills up although I don't know for sure because I've always been in the CC.
        Yep. All they are asking for is standby tickets. And they were not told "Sorry, we are out of tickets." They were told, "Sorry, this meeting is for men only."
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Yep. All they are asking for is standby tickets. And they were not told "Sorry, we are out of tickets." They were told, "Sorry, this meeting is for men only."
          Well, I withdraw my comments, then. Surely the women would be wholly satisfied if they were allowed, after each and every last man was comfortably seated, to fill in any corners that happened to be left over.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

I don't believe that would make this thing go away. The goal of the OW movement is not simply to gain access to the session, it's to gain ordination. Do you not think the movement would come up with some other form of public protest once access to the session has been granted?
            First of all, I didn't mean that the entire movement would go away. Just that it would defuse the "attend priesthood" project (or whatever you call it). Then they would move on to something else.

Second, the objective of the group is not just to push for ordination but to draw attention to policies in the church that discriminate against or exclude women for no good reason. One of these is the policy to exclude women from attending the general priesthood meeting. It makes zero sense. It is not a matter of holding the priesthood because we let unordained men and boys attend. They used to let male reporters in, but not female reporters. Even Sister Monson was turned away years ago when she wanted to slip in the back and watch her husband give a talk. It is silly. Not only do men attend the women's meeting, but they "preside" over it and speak in it. Why not have a woman come to general priesthood meeting and give a talk?
            Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 04-04-2014, 07:23 PM.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

My run comes to an end this Saturday. Barring a last-minute change of plans, I'll be at the good old stake center this Saturday instead of in the CC.
              Hah - change of plans. It will be 11 consecutive PH sessions in the CC tomorrow.

Comment

• The media blowback begins:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion...quare.html.csp

But the ban only escalates the controversy, particularly in the smartphone/social media age. Unless the church’s security force is going to start grabbing cell phones from the women, the images — and the story — will race across the Internet for all to see. All this ban has done is turn what was almost a routine story into a possibly viral event.
                What would Gordon Hinckley do? It’s impossible to know, but it’s safe to say it wouldn’t be this.
                I miss GBH.

Comment

First of all, I didn't mean that the entire movement would go away. Just that it would defuse the "attend priesthood" project (or whatever you call it). Then they would move on to something else.

Second, the objective of the group is not just to push for ordination but to draw attention to policies in the church that discriminate against or exclude women for no good reason. One of these is the policy to exclude women from attending the general priesthood meeting. It makes zero sense. It is not a matter of holding the priesthood because we let unordained men and boys attend. They used to let male reporters in, but not female reporters. Even Sister Monson was turned away years ago when she wanted to slip in the back and watch her husband give a talk. It is silly. Not only do men attend the women's meeting, but they "preside" over it and speak in it. Why not have a woman come to general priesthood meeting and give a talk?
                  So, let's say they let them fill in the empty seats. Do you really think that's going to defuse this? I don't think what they really want is to draw attention to policies of the church. I think they really just want the priesthood.

I think the policy is stupid as well, it doesn't matter to let them in to watch the priesthood session. The church did try to defuse this by televising the priesthood session, which I'm appreciative of because I can now sit at home in shorts and a tshirt and eat chicken wings. But I don't see getting in to the priesthood session as their endgame either.

I think we'll see a lot of "know thy place" in the "order of things" talks this GC.
                  Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                    So, let's say they let them fill in the empty seats. Do you really think that's going to defuse this? I don't think what they really want is to draw attention to policies of the church. I think they really just want the priesthood.
                    I didn't say that's "what they really want". I said it is one of their objectives.

As I understand things anyway. Take everything I say here with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                    I think we'll see a lot of "know thy place" in the "order of things" talks this GC.
                    Indeed.

Comment

Second, the objective of the group is not just to push for ordination but to draw attention to policies in the church that discriminate against or exclude women for no good reason.
                      Here is a full list:

http://whatwomenknow.org/all_are_alike/

Comment

Hah - change of plans. It will be 11 consecutive PH sessions in the CC tomorrow.
                        Tomorrow is my last one free for the next 15ish years. We are going to go to Hot Mama's Wings and watch the Final Four.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                          Tomorrow is my last one free for the next 15ish years. We are going to go to Hot Mama's Wings and watch the Final Four.
                          They can probably put PH sesh up on one of the screens.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            Humblebrag. HFN is getting called to the 1st quorum tomorrow.
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

And here is the men's list:
                              • How come there’s a mother’s lounge but not a father’s lounge? Women get to nurse and feed their baby in a dark, quiet room while fathers have to walk around the Church looking for an empty classroom or use the “stand-and-sway” method to put babies to sleep. Even if we find an unused classroom, we don’t have the rocking chair.
                              • We want padded seats in our meeting room too. Do you know what men have? We have cold, hard, metal chairs. Are not all bottoms created equal?!
                              • Male enrichment night. After we graduate from scouting, we get one, maybe two, activities a year for men. (Typically a shooting guns activity with BBQ.) But we want monthly activities like the women. Let’s even up those budgets a little huh.
                              • Nursery for Elder’s quorum events. Women get the youth to babysit when they have an activity, but it’s expected that men should go to an activity without help. Do you just assume that our wives are always available to watch the kids when we have an activity? On the flipside, are you saying that men are incapable of watching the kids when the women are away to their activities? Either way, it sounds oppressive.
                              • We want a nice table and podium in our room. Sure, we’re not known for our table decor when it comes to Sunday lessons, but we couldn’t even if we wanted to. We only have a small table with skinny legs. How am I supposed to display my tackle box and Singing Bass wall mount in style when I give my “fishers of men” lesson?
                              • Finally, I want to propose an every-other-move ordinance where the Elders Quorum and the RS split all of the new move-ins and move-outs in the Ward. Your argument: men are stronger and can lift more. My counter-argument: women are more likely to show up and “many hands make light work.”
                              http://buzz.io/4219/some-lds-women-w...-requests-too/
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                Humblebrag. HFN is getting called to the 1st quorum tomorrow.
                                Ha, I know how to say no. I'll have a 12 year old boy(s) I'm responsible for from Oct on. Damn, I'm old
                                Get confident, stupid
                                -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                                X