White Men Can Jump

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Safetydan
    New Guy
    • Dec 2010
    • 62

    #31
    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    Anyone else play ball in missionary clothes on their mission? In Korea, you don't see a lot of bball, but occasionally the kids are playing it on an elementary school playground. Usually dirt fields with a hoop with no net. At least that's how it was 20 years ago. Once we stopped and shot with the kids. A crowd gathered. Crowds always gather in Seoul Korea. I did a few dunks and a crowd of 100 kids shouted and cheered for me like I was a rock star. Good times.
    Yay, this is so fun. I loved basketball proselyting on my mission in Korea, And it's fun to play basketball here now too. I've never played competitively in my life (I played soccer) I'm 5'11", which is relatively tall, can shoot threes and nobody else can. They just wait for me to drive, like, all the time, until I've made about 3 in a row. I wish I could dunk, i'm sure they'd all lose their collective minds. Anyways there are some good courts around that aren't just dirt and net-less. Some are asphalt, and there are some courts made of this other material that's pretty soft and grips well. Basketball, in general, was more popular 6 or 7 years ago than it is now among the teenagers. I end up playing with older guys more now, whereas I'd play with college and high school students back during my mission.

    Comment

    • Moliere
      One man.....one pie
      • Oct 2009
      • 27877

      #32
      I played a lot of ping pong in France. I was pretty good back then and I'd hustle some of the cockier French players. I once smashed a ball so hard it put a dent in the ball and then hit the guy opposite me. Yeah, that smash was pretty much as good as that dunk in the video.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

      Comment

      • Shaka
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 10449

        #33
        Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        I played a lot of ping pong in France. I was pretty good back then and I'd hustle some of the cockier French players. I once smashed a ball so hard it put a dent in the ball and then hit the guy opposite me. Yeah, that smash was pretty much as good as that dunk in the video.
        The Stake Center in Durban had a squash court. I spent a lot of time refining my game.

        Comment

        • Indy Coug
          Heartless Bastard
          • Dec 2008
          • 18747

          #34
          I rocked in darts and lawn bowling.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

          Comment

          • RC Vikings
            Known Heterosexual
            • Nov 2008
            • 8789

            #35
            My first winter area I was on an Indian Reserve with maybe two thousand people. My comp and I bought some skates and sticks and learned how to skate and would play hockey with the kids because their really wasn't a lot to do. My second winter area I had a comp that always had a headache and didn't want to do anything so I would go skate at a rink right behind our apartment during the day while he faked his headache. We had a zone hockey game that winter and I felt like Guy Lafleur playing with a bunch of junior players. A couple of the guys asked if I had played before the mission, I didn't really want to tell them I had more ice time than tracting time while in Canada.

            Comment

            • YOhio
              Hipster Mode
              • Nov 2008
              • 26165

              #36
              On my mission I put all my focus on serving the Lord and the people of Taiwan. I guess I just didn't have much time to think about diversions such as sports and showing off.

              Comment

              • BigPiney
                Huge Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 12365

                #37
                Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                I played a lot of ping pong in France. I was pretty good back then and I'd hustle some of the cockier French players. I once smashed a ball so hard it put a dent in the ball and then hit the guy opposite me. Yeah, that smash was pretty much as good as that dunk in the video.
                I wish I would have spent more time playing petanque. Only did it a few time, but those old guys schooled us.

                Comment

                • RC Vikings
                  Known Heterosexual
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8789

                  #38
                  Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  On my mission I put all my focus on serving the Lord and the people of Taiwan. I guess I just didn't have much time to think about diversions such as sports and showing off.
                  Look where that got you.

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                    For some reason, this song is stuck in my head.
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • Moliere
                      One man.....one pie
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 27877

                      #40
                      Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      I wish I would have spent more time playing petanque. Only did it a few time, but those old guys schooled us.
                      For some reason, the older you get the better you get at petanque :swear: It's like playing the old guy in racquetball, you know he can barely move but he doesn't have to and you always end up losing.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                      Comment

                      • creekster
                        It is NOT a monkey!
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22661

                        #41
                        Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                        My first winter area I was on an Indian Reserve with maybe two thousand people. My comp and I bought some skates and sticks and learned how to skate and would play hockey with the kids because their really wasn't a lot to do. My second winter area I had a comp that always had a headache and didn't want to do anything so I would go skate at a rink right behind our apartment during the day while he faked his headache. We had a zone hockey game that winter and I felt like Guy Lafleur playing with a bunch of junior players. A couple of the guys asked if I had played before the mission, I didn't really want to tell them I had more ice time than tracting time while in Canada.
                        THats funny. I could have used some ice time. One of my comps in Quebec was a junior league level hockey player. We played hockey a few times on pdays with our zone and he was like Guy LaFleur and we were like little kids (or poorly prepared american tennagers) It was like a man against boys. He strated hitting people just because it was too easy to skate around us and score every time. After receivng a couple oif his checks I wished he would just score more.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                        Comment

                        • chrisrenrut
                          Strikes and Gutters
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 2297

                          #42
                          Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          THats funny. I could have used some ice time. One of my comps in Quebec was a junior league level hockey player. We played hockey a few times on pdays with our zone and he was like Guy LaFleur and we were like little kids (or poorly prepared american tennagers) It was like a man against boys. He strated hitting people just because it was too easy to skate around us and score every time. After receivng a couple oif his checks I wished he would just score more.
                          In Vancouver, we never played hokcey on ice, but played floor hockey a lot. Most church gyms had a set of goals and plastic sticks. We didn't play with the plastic ball that was usually used, but would buy a foam puck and wrap it in electric tape so it slid on the floor better.

                          A lot of the other elders really got into it, and went out and bought their own hockey sticks, tape, etc. I enjoyed playing, but was not serious enough to go out and buy my own hockey stick, so I usually ended up playing with a leftover left-handed stick. I wasn't very good by Canadian standards (when we played with young men from the ward), but I was pretty good compared to the american elders. I usually ended up scoring the most goals. It really pissed my companion off. He was really into it, and I wasn't as serious about it, played right-handed with a left-handed stick, and still dominated. One time he came really close to throwing the puck at me point-blank as hard as he could because we kept beating them. He went through the entire angry throwing motion, but fortunately didn't release.

                          We also played basketball quite a bit. One school had a full court with 9 foot rims, and we had a similar experience with what was in the video. Our skills were average for the US, but the Canadian kids kept asking if we played college ball. I always felt like I played the best basketball of my life while on my mission, but looking back, it was just the lack of talent of those I played against.
                          Last edited by chrisrenrut; 08-08-2013, 12:15 PM.

                          Comment

                          • CardiacCoug
                            вот так штука
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 11013

                            #43
                            Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
                            Soonercoug and I would stop and play bball with the Russians all the time. Soonercoug can ball. He can't jump though. We also played a high school team and a college team. The college team brought refs and their home team fans showed up. We signed autographs after the game.
                            I can confirm both of these facts. Sooner can shoot the lights out -- kind of a Steve Kerr type of player.

                            We played a lot in Ukraine -- pretty much every P-day and a few other days as well.

                            Comment

                            • Surfah
                              Where's Wallace?
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 33726

                              #44
                              Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                              I can confirm both of these facts. Sooner can shoot the lights out -- kind of a Steve Kerr type of player.

                              We played a lot in Ukraine -- pretty much every P-day and a few other days as well.
                              This is a revelation. It'd be fun to have a CS pickup game and find out who the ballers are.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • clackamascoug
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2009
                                • 9709

                                #45
                                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                This is a revelation. It'd be fun to have a CS pickup game and find out who the ballers are.
                                I wouldn't be much in a game at my age, but if we had a horse competition, I'd win, or come in second.

                                Comment

                                Working...