Miss Utah

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #31
    Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
    The answer to the question is obvious. It's a question about discrimination.

    I can understand how someone would want to be tactful about mentioning discrimination, but I don't think this was a matter of her trying to be tactful.

    Think of all the Mormon women you know. How many Mormon women think they are discriminated against? Very few.

    That makes this an especially difficult question for a Mormon woman to answer. The answer should have been obvious, but it wasn't to her. Besides I haven't read the book on the politically correct answer to questions.

    I think I can tell what she was thinking but had a hard time expressing:

    "Women earn less because they have less education because they are usually trying to be stay-at-home moms rather than work. But it would help if women were better educated so they could make more money if they end up needing to work."

    But that isn't really the issue. The more obvious issue is discrimination, which I'm sure she never even considered for a second. Mormons are very slow to allege discrimination unless it's anti-white or anti-Mormon discrimination.
    I know I am not a woman raised in a mormon household. I am also well educated and very experienced in life. I probably would have screwed up the question because I don't know if anyone has a verified proven answer to offer.

    Are you saying your answer would be simply, "women are discrimated against"?

    Comment

    • Uncle Ted
      The Big 12 money shot.
      • Apr 2010
      • 28853

      #32
      Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
      The answer to the question is obvious. It's a question about discrimination.

      I can understand how someone would want to be tactful about mentioning discrimination, but I don't think this was a matter of her trying to be tactful.

      Think of all the Mormon women you know. How many Mormon women think they are discriminated against? Very few.

      That makes this an especially difficult question for a Mormon woman to answer. The answer should have been obvious, but it wasn't to her.

      I think I can tell what she was thinking but had a hard time expressing:

      "Women earn less because they have less education because they are usually trying to be stay-at-home moms rather than work. But it would help if women were better educated so they could make more money if they end up needing to work."

      But that isn't really the issue. The more obvious issue is discrimination, which I'm sure she never even considered for a second. Mormons are very slow to allege discrimination unless it's anti-white or anti-Mormon discrimination.

      The correct answer is "There isn't discrimination. I know a very successful executive that keep 'binders full of women'."
      Last edited by Uncle Ted; 06-18-2013, 08:18 AM.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • Indy Coug
        Heartless Bastard
        • Dec 2008
        • 18747

        #33
        http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=10745966

        National Public Radio's Linda Holmes on question asked of Miss Utah

        "I think about this kind of stuff a lot. I've studied it. I've had about 20 years longer than Miss Utah USA to think about it. I have no idea what I would have said if someone had asked me such a moronic question on live television," Holmes said.
        Everything in life is an approximation.

        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

        Comment

        • SCcoug
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 7625

          #34
          I didn't know she was Mormon too.

          Comment

          • byu71
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22070

            #35
            As far as mormon women knowing their "place" and not minding it, my three daughter-in-laws must have not been very good listeners in church growing up.

            Comment

            • Omaha 680
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2011
              • 11181

              #36
              I don't care about her answer, but I listened to the question because of the posts on here. Turns out my suspicions were correct, and the question was just more unsophisticated tripe with no statistical backup that only serves get an emotional response from the uninformed. A true analysis of the alleged gender pay gap in the USA would be a complex analysis that takes into account things like years in the workforce and chosen vocation. Those are the two things that greatly affect pay. Studies that control for these factors have shown that there is little to no gender pay gap. But statistics that are trotted out to show a gender gap just show that men on average make more than women in the same age group. That data is really useless.

              There can be a discussion about the societal pressures for women to have children and the sacrifice they make in lost time in the workforce and the resulting lower pay when they take time off to raise children even for a few years. But that is different from claims of discrimination by employers. Widespread discrimination such as pay difference should show up in empirical data.

              Comment

              • wally
                <><><><><><><><>
                • Jun 2010
                • 4137

                #37
                I think that a more practical approach to the Q&A sessions for these beauty pagents would be to ask the lady what her favorite color, food and hobbies are and then do like a dance or something. Let's not pretend that there are any legitimate scientists in this group.

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #38
                  Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                  It's hard for a Mormon woman to say that women are discriminated against--extremely hard to say it if they don't even think it.
                  Perhaps Mormon women are not easily offended sissy-girls like most feminists are.
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • frank ryan
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 12375

                    #39
                    Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                    Perhaps Mormon women are not easily offended sissy-girls like most feminists are.
                    I think Miss Utah is pretty feministy.

                    Comment

                    • Dwight Schr-ute
                      Members Only
                      • May 2011
                      • 4917

                      #40
                      Originally posted by wally View Post
                      Let's not pretend that there are any legitimate scientists in this group.
                      What do you mean?
                      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                      Comment

                      • Dwight Schr-ute
                        Members Only
                        • May 2011
                        • 4917

                        #41
                        She got another shot!

                        http://www.ksl.com/?sid=25644587&nid...tl8kbMN1t28UpM
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69711

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                          That was a nice answer.

                          I feel sorry for her. Stage fright at that level would kill a lot of us.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • Donuthole
                            Official Outgayer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 25268

                            #43
                            She still doesn't answer the question. But that's mostly because it's a terribly-phrased question. She does, however, still look moderately "porny" (which may or may not be a good thing).
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                            There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                            Comment

                            • clackamascoug
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 9709

                              #44
                              Even in Oregon this is getting big air time.

                              Comment

                              • frank ryan
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 12375

                                #45
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                That was a nice answer.

                                I feel sorry for her. Stage fright at that level would kill a lot of us.
                                That is what happened. She is not dumb.

                                Comment

                                Working...