Modesty in children

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SandYFan
    Junior Member
    • May 2013
    • 754

    #31
    Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
    I've always thought the USC Cheerleaders were the sexiest. According to the standard, they are dressed very moderately.

    Um, the skirts seem to be a smidge above the knee.

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #32
      Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
      I've always thought the USC Cheerleaders were the sexiest. According to the standard, they are dressed very moderately.

      They just find Russ Meyer-esque women to fill out those sweaters.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • Blueintheface
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 15382

        #33
        Self-respect and self-esteem are paramount and young women should not be made to feel immodest by judgmental people just because they have a postivie self-image but conversely I think it is unwise to assume a girl who wears less clothing has a postive self-image. Perhaps she's seeking that self-esteem through her choice in clothing. Perhaps she's trying to test the limits of her parents or outright rebeling. All I know is that it is statistically significant to note that those parents that are involved in their children's choices, be it dress, under-age drinking, or drugs, can and do improve their chances for success.
        "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

        "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

        Comment

        • Mrs. Funk
          Lawyer Wannabe
          • Nov 2008
          • 2690

          #34
          Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
          Self-respect and self-esteem are paramount and young women should not be made to feel immodest by judgmental people just because they have a postivie self-image but conversely I think it is unwise to assume a girl who wears less clothing has a postive self-image. Perhaps she's seeking that self-esteem through her choice in clothing. Perhaps she's trying to test the limits of her parents or outright rebeling. All I know is that it is statistically significant to note that those parents that are involved in their children's choices, be it dress, under-age drinking, or drugs, can and do improve their chances for success.
          I think we also have to be careful not to assume that a young woman is wearing a tank top because she has low self-esteem. And allowing a young woman to have some flexibility in her clothing choices is different than being totally uninvolved and lackadaisical in parenting, not to mention the obvious difference between doing drugs and wearing a tank top.
          "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #35
            There's tremendous power in feeling sexy. One of the basic fundamentals of humanity is the desire to be desired (Kojeve & Cheap Trick). People can dress sexy because they need to feel it. I'll counsel my kids to dress modestly for their own reasons and benefit, not as a way to keep eyes at bay, for there ain't no way to hide her from pryin' eyes. Comfort in clothing choices is one of my mantras.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
              Time to camp
              • Nov 2008
              • 26082

              #36
              Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              This does nothing for you?

              If you are saying it is the shoulders of the woman who ruined her sex appeal playing Aileen Wuornos, then this also does something for you in the same way



              Otherwise, no it isn't her shoulders that do something for you, it is that she is attempting to appear suggestive and happens to be wearing a shirt off her shoulders. Trying hard to make you and everyone else forget about Monster. However, I learned as a boy that you can't "unsee" things, that's why you should avoid pornography. Sorry Charlie.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69703

                #37
                How about this one, Jay? Immodest?



                Ankles and shoulders. That is a deadly combo.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Blueintheface
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 15382

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                  I think we also have to be careful not to assume that a young woman is wearing a tank top because she has low self-esteem. And allowing a young woman to have some flexibility in her clothing choices is different than being totally uninvolved and lackadaisical in parenting, not to mention the obvious difference between doing drugs and wearing a tank top.
                  The way I worded that seemed to imply a connection, I meant it as an additional talking point certainly not as a an equal comparison.
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                  "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                  Comment

                  • Dwight Schr-ute
                    Members Only
                    • May 2011
                    • 4917

                    #39
                    Originally posted by SandYFan View Post
                    I agree completely. How far does that go, however? Are breasts inherently sexual?
                    This reminds me of the scene from The Office when David Brent is on a first date and describes that men are attracted to cleavage because it reminds us of buttocks and when we were cavemen just bending the woman over to have sex.

                    So yes, according to David Brent, boobs are inherently sexual.
                    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                    Comment

                    • YOhio
                      Hipster Mode
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 26165

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      How about this one, Jay? Immodest?



                      Ankles and shoulders. That is a deadly combo.
                      Plus just a hint of belly. Signals are being sent.

                      Comment

                      • Blueintheface
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 15382

                        #41
                        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        There's tremendous power in feeling sexy. One of the basic fundamentals of humanity is the desire to be desired (Kojeve & Cheap Trick). People can dress sexy because they need to feel it. I'll counsel my kids to dress modestly for their own reasons and benefit, not as a way to keep eyes at bay, for there ain't no way to hide her from pryin' eyes. Comfort in clothing choices is one of my mantras.
                        A very good mantra but I envision a scenario in which her comfort and your own for her might not be in harmony. Again, based upon your mantra, it's her decision to make and her comfort we're talking about, but I do think comfort can have cultural and parental limits. You probably disagree and that's ok.
                        "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                        "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                        Comment

                        • pellegrino
                          miserere me
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 12100

                          #42
                          I have three girls. They wear whatever they feel comfortable in. I don't envision that changing as they get older.
                          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                          Alessandro Manzoni

                          Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                          pelagius

                          Comment

                          • Blueintheface
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 15382

                            #43
                            Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            Plus just a hint of belly. Signals are being sent.
                            Signals like "Yeah I see you, you scumbag paparazzo, and if you get any closer I'll show you my Monster face!"
                            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                            "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                            Comment

                            • jay santos
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 13652

                              #44
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              How about this one, Jay? Immodest?



                              Ankles and shoulders. That is a deadly combo.
                              May or may not be immodest. But regardless they can definitely be sexy.

                              Modesty and fashion are important in that it sends social queues to other people about what kind of a person you are. So I wouldn't want my teenage daughters dressing slutty because I wouldn't want others to assume they're slutty and treat them that way. Who defines all that? Unfortunately society does. There's no eternal principle here. It's a societal rule.

                              Little girls wearing sun dresses? Give me a freaking break.

                              Comment

                              • clackamascoug
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2009
                                • 9709

                                #45
                                Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                                Hell, our 15-year-old wears bikinis (just not to church stuff). My wife says something about shorts if her butt cheeks are showing, but we're pretty lax about "modesty" in dress. I guess we just don't see a big deal in bare mid-thighs and shoulders. I think our culture's "modesty" standards are pretty arbitrary.
                                Paul McCartney understood this when he wrote, "Well, she was just 17, and you know what I mean."

                                Comment

                                Working...