Rumors of 19 year old females going on missions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • KillerDog
    a.k.a. K-dog
    • Feb 2009
    • 4196

    #46
    The prohibition on dating as a missionary will be lifted in less than 5 years. The largest predictor of temple marriage for a young couple is whether the parents are married in the temple. Therefore, the Church is going to try and create a surge in temple marriage through artificial means and raise up a more righteous generation. I can't wait to see it.

    "Of course you can have sex with her Elder. The Lord said multiply and replenish the earth and Elder Oakes Fall 2012 Conference address reinforced it. You just have to marry her first. I recommend P-day then you can go on splits with her."

    Comment

    • Hypoplastic
      Out chasing ambulances
      • Sep 2012
      • 110

      #47
      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      This is the thread to share your interesting anecdotes about 19 year old females going on missions. Nubile Twitter feeds, friends in bishoprics passing along inside info, young relatives making appointments in the middle conference....please share any and all information here in this thread.

      This thread will help us answer once and for all: will lowering the mission age to 19 result in MORE females serving missions.

      Thank you for your participation!
      My secretary's sister (19) is meeting with her bishop this week to get her papers started.

      Comment

      • Pheidippides
        Liberal Feminazi
        • Nov 2008
        • 14759

        #48
        The more I think about this the more I think the effect on men is marginal. 18 instead of 19. Big deal. Yeah, college and sex and all that. Marginal.

        But dropping the age to 19 for women is going to do major things. While we Mormons get married young, not a ton of girls are getting hitched at 19. I know some, sure, but that's young even for us. If this is in effect when I was a lad, no doubt my wife would have gone. No doubt. But instead I came home and we got married.

        So the first thing that will happen is that you see more women going. I also can envision this becoming a de facto cultural requirement - i.e., the social pressures to go will go up for women. Second, I agree with whoever says that you'll probably see more women than men out there at some point.

        Neither of these things are bad. Both are a step towards women getting the priesthood IMO, which is the announcement I would have loved to hear but don't expect in my lifetime.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

        Comment

        • LiveCoug
          LA Ute loves me
          • Nov 2008
          • 18489

          #49
          My 22 year old RM nephew at BYU told me that within 4 hours of the announcement, 7 girls in his ward had set up meetings with the bishop about going on a mission...

          Comment

          • Moliere
            One man.....one pie
            • Oct 2009
            • 27897

            #50
            Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            The more I think about this the more I think the effect on men is marginal. 18 instead of 19. Big deal. Yeah, college and sex and all that. Marginal.

            But dropping the age to 19 for women is going to do major things. While we Mormons get married young, not a ton of girls are getting hitched at 19. I know some, sure, but that's young even for us. If this is in effect when I was a lad, no doubt my wife would have gone. No doubt. But instead I came home and we got married.

            So the first thing that will happen is that you see more women going. I also can envision this becoming a de facto cultural requirement - i.e., the social pressures to go will go up for women. Second, I agree with whoever says that you'll probably see more women than men out there at some point.

            Neither of these things are bad. Both are a step towards women getting the priesthood IMO, which is the announcement I would have loved to hear but don't expect in my lifetime.
            Yeah, the impact is big on women, not so much on men. I'm more excited about how this will change the YW program. Instead of it focusing so much on marriage, it'll have to change to focus a bit on missionary prep and other relevant skills. I have much higher hopes for the YW program after this change and I hope by daughers (still a couple years away for the oldest) will get more out of the program. I'd also love for my daughters to serve missions and that probability just went up 10 fold as of last weekend.

            One interesting caveat is that sister missionaries are typically the worst when it comes to issues. I know a mission president that stated that sisters made up 20% of the missionaries but he spent 80% of his time on sister missionary related issues. I do wonder if this change will flip this stigma so that the perception of sisters is equal with that of elders. I think it will as you'll see more "normal" (meaning psychologically sound and physically able) sisters going on missions instead of getting hitched at 19-20.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #51
              Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
              My 22 year old RM nephew at BYU told me that within 4 hours of the announcement, 7 girls in his ward had set up meetings with the bishop about going on a mission...
              I love it! These anecdotes are fantastic! Please keep them coming.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #52
                The biggest impact will be on sister missionaries currently in the field. They are going to be pissed when a bunch of hot 19 year old chicks show up and take all the attention away.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69744

                  #53
                  A couple of interesting articles by Joanna Brooks speculating on the impact this may have on gender equality in the church:

                  Today’s announcement about the change in missionary age for young women was, of course, wonderful news. I am delighted my daughter will grow up in a church and culture that will promote her s…


                  Sorry, but this page does not exist.You can try the following:Double check if there’s a typo in the URL (it happens to the best of us)Search for what you’re looking forLet us know this link was broken


                  Similar article by Catherine Jeppson in the Washington Post:

                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • hostile
                    lollygagger
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 5736

                    #54
                    One of the nurses that I work with is dating a guy who teaches Spanish at the MTC. I told her she better put the pressure on to get married before her boyfriend has all these 19 year olds batting their eyes at him.
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                    Comment

                    • Moliere
                      One man.....one pie
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 27897

                      #55
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      A couple of interesting articles by Joanna Brooks speculating on the impact this may have on gender equality in the church:

                      Today’s announcement about the change in missionary age for young women was, of course, wonderful news. I am delighted my daughter will grow up in a church and culture that will promote her s…


                      Sorry, but this page does not exist.You can try the following:Double check if there’s a typo in the URL (it happens to the best of us)Search for what you’re looking forLet us know this link was broken


                      Similar article by Catherine Jeppson in the Washington Post:

                      http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...b2a7_blog.html
                      I really like what Joanna has to say on this topic. Having been in a room with a 19 year old girl that wants to serve badly at the moment the announcment was made I have to say this is a pretty cool thing.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                      Comment

                      • mtnbiker
                        it's all a blur
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 2573

                        #56
                        Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        Yeah, the impact is big on women, not so much on men.
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        I love it! These anecdotes are fantastic! Please keep them coming.
                        Well, in general priesthood mtg I sat behind a ym in my ward who turns 19 next May. He was looking for the ward exec sec to schedule a mtg with the bishop to get things moving sooner. He said all his buddies were doing the same thing, but their female friends were sad that the guys would be gone that much sooner.

                        Comment

                        • creekster
                          It is NOT a monkey!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22661

                          #57
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          I love it! These anecdotes are fantastic! Please keep them coming.
                          Despite your cynical thread starting post, the topic obviously has some interest for many here. You shouldn't be so jaded.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                          Comment

                          • All-American
                            Right, as Usual
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 15674

                            #58
                            Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            Despite your cynical thread starting post, the topic obviously has some interest for many here. You shouldn't be so jaded.
                            Kareem had the hook. Jordan had the jab-step. Stockton had the one-handed pass. DDD is a cynic. It's his signature move. And when you're the board MVP, you go with what works.
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                            Comment

                            • TripletDaddy
                              sweet triple
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 58186

                              #59
                              Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              Despite your cynical thread starting post, the topic obviously has some interest for many here. You shouldn't be so jaded.
                              Cynic? I can't help it. I'm Hellenistic at heart.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • Solon
                                Lost in the flood
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 5747

                                #60
                                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                Cynic? I can't help it. I'm Hellenistic at heart.
                                "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                                -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                                Comment

                                Working...