Rumors of 19 year old females going on missions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by splitbamboo View Post
    Our 17 year old turns 18 in February and will graduate this year. Our hope is that enough young men make the jump to missions that it allows him, with his less than stellar grades, to get into BYU.
    I'm right there with you although I think my HS senior is in good shape. But you never know where the line will be drawn for BYU acceptance.

However, his Freshman younger brother will be at a disadvantage for admission to BYU unless he serves a mission first.

It will be interesting to watch the BYU acceptance trend. I already suspect BYU fudges their acceptance percentages. So will BYU accept the 3.8 GPA/30 ACT/1350 SAT student right out of HS? Or will they suggest he serve a mission first by not accepting him? And it will take a very mature 18-year Freshman to want to be with a bunch of 20-year-old RMs at BYU. But I look at it this way, 20-year-old RMs should be good mentors to an 18-year old. He'll never get a date as an 18-year Freshman at BYU, but I also look at that as a positive.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
      I'm right there with you although I think my HS senior is in good shape. But you never know where the line will be drawn for BYU acceptance.

However, his Freshman younger brother will be at a disadvantage for admission to BYU unless he serves a mission first.

It will be interesting to watch the BYU acceptance trend. I already suspect BYU fudges their acceptance percentages. So will BYU accept the 3.8 GPA/30 ACT/1350 SAT student right out of HS? Or will they suggest he serve a mission first by not accepting him? And it will take a very mature 18-year Freshman to want to be with a bunch of 20-year-old RMs at BYU. But I look at it this way, 20-year-old RMs should be good mentors to an 18-year old. He'll never get a date as an 18-year Freshman at BYU, but I also look at that as a positive.
      30/3.8 is a slam dunk to get into BYU.

Comment

• I just saw this on CB and it made me laugh. Given the talk on this thread, I thought it made for a good place setting. Apparently all of your predictions about an influx of missionaries won't be due to the new age adjustments but due to our new U.S. President.

Two missionaries from the Provo mission just left our house. We had them over for dinner. During the course of the conversation, we learned the following:

- Mission Presidents were told that missionary numbers are expected to hit 90,000 with the big surge beginning next Summer
        - Most missions need to prepare to accept a substantial number of new missionaries
        - Provo mission was asked how many more they could take (they currently have 140); Mission President said "We could go to 160"; Member of the Q of 12 said "take more"; MP said "OK, 180"; member of Q of 12 called him a wimp and said "you will prepare for 200."
        - MPs asked why the surge in missionaries and the reason for the changes, was it in part due to interest in the Church because of Romney's candidacy for President? Member of the Q of 12 said "candidate Romney has brought about minor interest in the Church compared to what President Romney will do for interest int he Church." (if. of course, he is elected.)

Again, may just be one man's opinion.
        http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...tml?id=9466718
        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
          I just saw this on CB and it made me laugh. Given the talk on this thread, I thought it made for a good place setting. Apparently all of your predictions about an influx of missionaries won't be due to the new age adjustments but due to our new U.S. President.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...tml?id=9466718
          LOL! Romney won't win. I'd think even a prophet could know that.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            A 2L at school today was explaining to the class why most LDS won't vote for Romney. As evidence she offered the fact that Democrats in Utah tend to be Mormon.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              Sheesh. No kidding.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
                A 2L at school today was explaining to the class why most LDS won't vote for Romney. As evidence she offered the fact that Democrats in Utah tend to be Mormon.
                That school is not good enough for you.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Having labored in a Latin American vineyard, I think what Indy says about "infrastructure" makes a lot of sense. I've witnessed the debacles he alludes to. I just can't fathom why there are any converts at all anywhere anymore. What am I missing?
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    Having labored in a Latin American vineyard, I think what Indy says about "infrastructure" makes a lot of sense. I've witnessed the debacles he alludes to. I just can't fathom why there are any converts at all anywhere anymore. What am I missing?
                    The Spirit, duh.
                    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

what, besides the fact that romney is favored right now, makes you believe that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                        what, besides the fact that romney is favored right now, makes you believe that?
                        How is he favored? There are 0 polls showing him in the lead in Ohio. If he doesn't win Ohio he doesn't win.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                          That school is not good enough for you.
                          Yes, but sadly, BYU wouldn't give me a scholarship.

Comment

How is he favored? There are 0 polls showing him in the lead in Ohio. If he doesn't win Ohio he doesn't win.
                            Most recent Rasmussen shows them tied. Undecideds always break for the challenger. turn out will favor republicans.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                              Yes; right now. But how will being a RM factor into BYU acceptence?

Maybe the 3.8 GPA/30 ACT student will never have to worry. Maybe. But the fact is that soon 20-year-old RMs will be applying to BYU along with some 18-year-old non-RMs. And with 18-year-old missionaries become the norm, I could see BYU admissions taking the stance: "why is this candidate applying to BYU as an 18-year-old and not putting in his mission papers? Either he's not serious about going on a mission or is unworthy to do so. Either way, we don't want him."

In my view, that's why SPs are part of the ecclesiastical endorsement process for incoming Freshman - to access if a YM is really planning on serving a mission.

Perhaps I'm just up in the night with another conspiracy theory. But I've noticed a trend in BYU admissions. IMO, their goal is to not just accept the most qualified students but to accept the "best Mormon" students who are qualified. Currently, that process is somewhat vague but missionary service will certainly add much clarity. It's kind of an extension of the PEF with aiding foreign students who are RMs (and only those who are RMs, correct?). But now, the church/BYU admissions can use missionary service as a gatekeeper to acceptance to BYU. BTW, I don't like this trend.
                              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                              "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                                Yes; right now. But how will being a RM factor into BYU acceptence?

Maybe the 3.8 GPA/30 ACT student will never have to worry. Maybe. But the fact is that soon 20-year-old RMs will be applying to BYU along with some 18-year-old non-RMs. And with 18-year-old missionaries become the norm, I could see BYU admissions taking the stance: "why is this candidate applying to BYU as an 18-year-old and not putting in his mission papers? Either he's not serious about going on a mission or is unworthy to do so. Either way, we don't want him."

In my view, that's why SPs are part of the ecclesiastical endorsement process for incoming Freshman - to access if a YM is really planning on serving a mission.

Perhaps I'm just up in the night with another conspiracy theory. But I've noticed a trend in BYU admissions. IMO, their goal is to not just accept the most qualified students but to accept the "best Mormon" students who are qualified. Currently, that process is somewhat vague but missionary service will certainly add much clarity. It's kind of an extension of the PEF with aiding foreign students who are RMs (and only those who are RMs, correct?). But now, the church/BYU admissions can use missionary service as a gatekeeper to acceptance to BYU. BTW, I don't like this trend.
                                Sounds a little paranoid.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X