BIC or Convert?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • I.J. Reilly
    Nobody's Fool
    • Apr 2009
    • 2949

    #1

    BIC or Convert?

    Were you born in the covenant or did you convert to the church later in life? Perhaps you are more in the Uchtdorf mold where you were born but rather young when your parents converted. If you would feel comfortable in disclosing such information, I am curious about those that were converts how they came about their conversion. Missionairies? Friends? Relatives? Discover a copy of the BOM without a cover in the gutter?

    Me- I'm a BIC all the way, although not by much. My parents were sealed 4 months before I was born. My parents are both converts and since my mom hadn't been a member for a year yet when my parents married they had a civil marriage months before the temple ceremony. My father comes by way of the RLDS, which I find interesting and my dad baptized my mom.
    71
    BIC
    83.10%
    59
    Convert
    7.04%
    5
    Uchtdorf style
    9.86%
    7
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69749

    #2
    Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
    My father comes by way of the RLDS, which I find interesting and my dad baptized my mom.
    That does sound interesting. You should tell us more some time.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • I.J. Reilly
      Nobody's Fool
      • Apr 2009
      • 2949

      #3
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      That does sound interesting. You should tell us more some time.
      Actually, I was thinking about it last night and I realized how little I know about the whole thing. I do know that his family wasn't originally RLDS, that somewhere along the way (I think when my dad was about 7) that they converted. I have seen pictures of my dad getting baptized by his uncle when he was eight and I know that my dad was active RLDS until he was baptized as a member at 17.

      I'm not sure how the family conversion to RLDS happened. I'm pretty sure that they were living somewhere between California and Colorado when it happened, which makes it even more interesting to me. They eventually moved to Missouri, for reasons that are unsure to me, but by the time that they had moved there I think they were on their way to inactivity (they made the move while my dad was serving his mission). I have an uncle who also became LDS and then the rest of the family is now in varying forms of religious state, weighted on the side of evangelical Mormon haters.

      The religious history of my family is varied and interesting.

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #4
        Convert, but I think most here already know that.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • I.J. Reilly
          Nobody's Fool
          • Apr 2009
          • 2949

          #5
          Also, resident apostates please feel free to vote in the poll and comment. Just because you no longer associate with the church doesn't mean that at one time you weren't one of the above. I'm pretty sure that our resident apostates are both BIC but let me know if I'm wrong.

          Comment

          • SeattleUte
            Faith crisis consultant
            • Nov 2008
            • 20837

            #6
            That is interesting since RLDS is the picture of Mormonism's future: Female GA's and priesthood holders, gay marriages, doctrine acknowledging allegorical nature of the First Vision and the B of M, repudation of polygamy and priesthood ban nunc pro tunc. Eventually LDS always come around and get with the times. I have always thought RLDS is a good model for LDS.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

            --Jonathan Swift

            Comment

            • I.J. Reilly
              Nobody's Fool
              • Apr 2009
              • 2949

              #7
              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Convert, but I think most here already know that.
              DDD, I think you've said this before but how did your conversion come about?

              Comment

              • SeattleUte
                Faith crisis consultant
                • Nov 2008
                • 20837

                #8
                Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                Also, resident apostates please feel free to vote in the poll and comment. Just because you no longer associate with the church doesn't mean that at one time you weren't one of the above. I'm pretty sure that our resident apostates are both BIC but let me know if I'm wrong.
                I was seventh generation Mormon on my mother's side. (Helen Andelin is a cousin twice removed.) On dad's side great grand dad immigrated from Netherlands to SLC after baptism.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                --Jonathan Swift

                Comment

                • SeattleUte
                  Faith crisis consultant
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 20837

                  #9
                  Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                  DDD, I think you've said this before but how did your conversion come about?
                  3D is living proof that the BYU sports program is a missionary tool.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                  --Jonathan Swift

                  Comment

                  • I.J. Reilly
                    Nobody's Fool
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 2949

                    #10
                    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    That is interesting since RLDS is the picture of Mormonism's future: Female GA's and priesthood holders, gay marriages, doctrine acknowledging allegorical nature of the First Vision and the B of M, repudation of polygamy and priesthood ban nunc pro tunc. Eventually LDS always come around and get with the times. I have always thought RLDS is a good model for LDS.
                    That is an interesting thought. I have never thought of the RLDS model as being where the church is headed but I can see what you are saying there.

                    I have gone to a couple of RLDS services in my day (pre CoC days) and they always seemed a bit off to me, but that may just be because I get that feeling from just about every other type of religious worship that I go to. It was interesting to see some aspects of evangelism mixed with the more staid parts of Mormonism.

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #11
                      Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                      DDD, I think you've said this before but how did your conversion come about?
                      story for another day.

                      Suffice to say, I was drawn to the Church's strong emphasis on family. I was also very lucky to have a circle of excellent LDS friends growing up, even in elementary school....kids that made it cool to do what is right but still have a great time.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • CardiacCoug
                        вот так штука
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 11013

                        #12
                        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        That is interesting since RLDS is the picture of Mormonism's future: Female GA's and priesthood holders, gay marriages, doctrine acknowledging allegorical nature of the First Vision and the B of M, repudation of polygamy and priesthood ban nunc pro tunc. Eventually LDS always come around and get with the times. I have always thought RLDS is a good model for LDS.
                        Isn't it interesting, though, that the LDS Church is so much more successful than the RLDS Church as far as membership and finances?

                        There appear to be practical benefits associated with irrational fanaticism and gerontocracy.

                        Comment

                        • SeattleUte
                          Faith crisis consultant
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 20837

                          #13
                          Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                          Isn't it interesting, though, that the LDS Church is so much more successful than the RLDS Church as far as membership and finances?

                          There appear to be practical benefits associated with irrational fanaticism and gerontocracy.
                          You see that demonstrated large scale in Europe. Their churches became more secular and have been practically annihilated. I think this is why you saw the Catholic Church take a hard right. MikeWaters has been prophesying against the pernicious evils of assimilation for years.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                          --Jonathan Swift

                          Comment

                          • I.J. Reilly
                            Nobody's Fool
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 2949

                            #14
                            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            story for another day.

                            Suffice to say, I was drawn to the Church's strong emphasis on family. I was also very lucky to have a circle of excellent LDS friends growing up, even in elementary school....kids that made it cool to do what is right but still have a great time.
                            Thanks for sharing what you did. I find friendshipping to be probably the most effective missionary tool. Not in the "let's go friendship that kid to get him to convert" type of way but in the more relaxed, "I'm just your friend, here's what I do and don't do" kinda way. It's a no pressure sitaution and produces more lifetime converts, imo.

                            Comment

                            • I.J. Reilly
                              Nobody's Fool
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 2949

                              #15
                              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              You see that demonstrated large scale in Europe. Their churches became more secular and have been practically annihilated. I think this is why you saw the Catholic Church take a hard right. MikeWaters has been prophesying against the pernicious evils of assimilation for years.
                              Is this the future of America? Is America merely Europe twenty years delayed?

                              Comment

                              Working...