I had a disheartening religious epiphany today...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RobinFinderson
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 10548

    #46
    Wow... so BY basically used the tithe-pool as his own personal piggy bank, and he was not alone in this. What does the historical record say about the end of this practice?

    Comment

    • Tex
      Board Anti-Christ
      • Nov 2008
      • 716

      #47
      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      Wow, Tex throwing down on Bruce R. McConkie!
      All I can say is that it is time disbelieving people repented and got in line and believed in a living, modern prophet.
      Have we been commanded not to call a prophet an insular racist? Link?

      - Cali Coug

      I always wanted to wear a tiara.
      We need to be careful going back to the bible for guidance.

      - Jeff Lebowski

      Comment

      • RobinFinderson
        Banned
        • Nov 2008
        • 10548

        #48
        Originally posted by Tex View Post
        All I can say is that it is time disbelieving people repented and got in line and believed in a living, modern prophet.
        Why would a disbelieving person do that?

        Comment

        • Indy Coug
          Heartless Bastard
          • Dec 2008
          • 18747

          #49
          Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
          Why would a disbelieving person do that?
          Because then they would start believing.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #50
            Originally posted by Tex View Post
            All I can say is that it is time disbelieving people repented and got in line and believed in a living, modern prophet.
            I'm sure you will manage to say more than that.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • RobinFinderson
              Banned
              • Nov 2008
              • 10548

              #51
              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              Because then they would start believing.
              Is it even possible for a disbelieving person to 'repent?'

              Comment

              • Indy Coug
                Heartless Bastard
                • Dec 2008
                • 18747

                #52
                Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                Is it even possible for a disbelieving person to 'repent?'
                Sure, why not?
                Everything in life is an approximation.

                http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                Comment

                • RobinFinderson
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10548

                  #53
                  Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  Sure, why not?
                  Because if I don't believe, the words, "God, please forgive me and let the atoning power of Jesus Christ work a miracle in my life," is as nonsensical a string of words as "Apple keys make table junk so dance green.' If I truly deeply sincerely disbelieve, the steps of repentance that require belief are the equivalent of gibberish.

                  Comment

                  • SeattleUte
                    Faith crisis consultant
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 20837

                    #54
                    This thread is exhibit A that Mormons aren't Christians. The New Testament says the people on welfare will be in the Kingdom of Heaven.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                    --Jonathan Swift

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69703

                      #55
                      Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                      My opinion would be greatly improved:

                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • Jacob
                        Junior Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 6801

                        #56
                        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        This thread is exhibit A that Mormons aren't Christians. The New Testament says the people on welfare will be in the Kingdom of Heaven.
                        This thread is more about defining Kingdom of Heaven than it is about discussing who is on welfare according to the New Testament.

                        Comment

                        • Tex
                          Board Anti-Christ
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 716

                          #57
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          I'm sure you will manage to say more than that.
                          Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                          Why would a disbelieving person do that?
                          It's a McConkie quote.
                          Have we been commanded not to call a prophet an insular racist? Link?

                          - Cali Coug

                          I always wanted to wear a tiara.
                          We need to be careful going back to the bible for guidance.

                          - Jeff Lebowski

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #58
                            Originally posted by Tex View Post
                            It's a McConkie quote.
                            Make up your mind, dude. First you are trashing Bruce Redd because his speculation caused damage to the faith of some, next you are quoting him, for no other reason than to come off victorious in a disagreement.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Tex
                              Board Anti-Christ
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 716

                              #59
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Make up your mind, dude. First you are trashing Bruce Redd because his speculation caused damage to the faith of some, next you are quoting him, for no other reason than to come off victorious in a disagreement.
                              I haven't trashed anyone. And you missed the point of the quote.
                              Have we been commanded not to call a prophet an insular racist? Link?

                              - Cali Coug

                              I always wanted to wear a tiara.
                              We need to be careful going back to the bible for guidance.

                              - Jeff Lebowski

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #60
                                Originally posted by Tex View Post
                                I haven't trashed anyone. And you missed the point of the quote.
                                You said you criticize speculation when it leads to conclusions that actually affect people's faith (for example, blacks in the pre-existence, the Catholic Church as the great and abominable, etc.). What are your criticisms of these speculations, specifically? I assume you, like the Church, do not endorse such viewpoints, of course.

                                My post was a Bruce R. McConkie quote, as well. I'm not surprised you missed it.
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...